"Modern training and nutrition".

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol the one that gets me is the tainted supplement story.Every time the MMA fighter Jon Jones got flagged up for something it was always the tainted supplement as if anyone would be so stupid and Naive enough to think supplements would give them the Edge anyway?

2. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Training is periodised so athletes peak for competition and are at their best, rather than fighting every month. In the not too distant past you’d have fighters eating steak and nothing else (so no carbohydrates/glycogen to fuel intense training). The vast majority of boxers do proper weight training now, whereas in the past you had silly myths about losing speed/flexibility from weights in almost every boxing gym.
    Look at Lomachenko, look at fighters at the recent world championships. Then compare that to fighters just 20 years ago. With the internet and boxing being a more global sport now, the technical proficiency and tactics at the top level are so far beyond what there was in the past. Anybody who really understands boxing can see that. At the top levels of amateur competition (where boxers are at their best) almost every fighter can fight in both stances and switch in a smooth manner. Again in the not too distant past that was frowned upon by the majority of boxing trainers, guys like Vodopiyanov and Crawford were anomalies.

PIRA likes this.
  3. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Lol, even for this place that is one of the most uneducated comments I’ve ever seen. Nobody is putting antibiotics in your food, absolutely everything that exists is a chemical, organic foods have been repeatedly found to be no healthier than the packaged/supermarket equivalent.

Old time boxers frowned on weights, modern boxers all lift weights. Old time boxers did roadwork everyday, and fought every month. Modern boxers get in peak condition for a particular fight, and if they have half a brain they don’t waste their time doing pointless roadwork all the time. Then you’re surprised that they are more muscular today?

Slowhand likes this.
  4. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    bonsu vs walking, Swiss ball crunches etc. vs straight-legged sit ups.

5. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Pugilism has been around for the entire span of human history. What has been discovered may have been lost over time only to be rediscovered again. And possibly discarded again.

6. gerryb

Mar 24, 2019
    you have a vested interest promoting weight training seeing as you get paid as a personal trainer. Dont get me wrong i enjoy hitting the iron but i most certainly discovered myself that weight training and the increased muscle mass makes endurance type activities harder.

7. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    I’m not a personal trainer, I’m a strength coach for Olympic level athletes. My vested interest is in producing better athletes. Your personal anecdote doesn’t override the scientific literature and the fact that any athlete worth anything lifts weights. Lifting weights isn’t the same thing as building muscle mass either, endurance athletes lift weights to increase tendon stiffness and to prevent injuries.

PIRA likes this.
  8. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Hahaha
    Boxing is a sport with very strict parameters and rules. There wasn’t tribal people performing Lomachenko moves in the jungle. We can see the massive progression from when boxing first started, it’s absolutely absurd to think there’s a lost civilisation of boxing.

9. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Modern Training exists in every era. Next era it becomes null in void.

Its funny listening to commentary of Dempsey training & how sweet and fluid his movement is. If we were back then...we'd be swooning over this clip.
    This content is protected

How Ray Robinson drank blood. JMM today dranked his own urine.

10. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    I still get a kick out of the Drug Olympics. Finally it is LEGAL! we have a new era!

PIRA likes this.
  11. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    They came close to it though!!! :cool:

PIRA and dealt_with like this.
  12. Boxcel

Boxcel Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Lmao funny you bring up uneducated but don't seem to know that most of antibiotics used today are used as livestock additives. B-b-buh no one is putting antibiotics in food.

Here is one recent study in Lebanon showing 77.5% antibiotic residues in 80 different samples of chicken meat.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31141997/?i=4&

I have a chemistry background so if you want to debate further then be my guest. The argument of "modern nutrition" is moot when the food today is less wholesome than in the past.

I've done bodybuilding, powerlifting, and boxed for years along with doing extensive research into PEDs myself. I can assure you almost every one of these top boxers are on something. I've known natural pro boxers and pro boxers on the goods. There is clear difference in training intensity and consistency of performance between the two groups. Like I said before, anyone who thinks their favorite pro athlete is natural is delusional. The best you can assume is the possibility of being natural.

13. gerryb

Mar 24, 2019
    Fighting hand to hand has been around since humans decided to fight each other bud. It wasn't invented in the TV era.

14. gerryb

Mar 24, 2019
    Im an ex international masters power lifter that has trained harder than you in the weight training department. I trained my self to that level from doing no weights at all in under 5 years. I also do and have done a variety of hard manual labour. Its personal experience. Im open to your opinion though seeing as you have cred.

I agree to some extent that weights do make you able to exert and withstand force but not entirely convinced theres any meaningful carryover to boxing. Id put it down the list of priorities if I was training a fighter. For example if you are talking results, in the recent Kovalev Yarde fight,its obvious one guy put a lot more emphasis in the weight room. Who won? Also in the Ruiz Joshua fight one guy has a body carved out of granite,the other carved from pizza. Who won?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    This.

Just watch previous generations of soccer players.

George Best was considered one of the all time greats, yet was a chain smoker, and alcoholic.
    He wouldn't last until half time in the modern Premier league.

Knowledge about nutrition, and how to optimise your training has come on leaps and bounds in the past few decades.

Also, yes steroids are an issue.

But you're equally naive to think that steroids haven't been around since about the 60s.

Bodybuilders like Arnold were on roads since the 60s. You don't think pro athletes knew about them too?

Brixton Bomber likes this.