"Modern training and nutrition".

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    People ate cleaner 50 years ago because they had no choice/and or money.

2. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    "Modern" means S&C (less of the ancient methods) and better nutrition choices, whether that's eating clean or portion control.

Fighters chewed on steak back then to strengthen up their jaws! LOL. Try that today and you get laughed at (or sectioned).

Lifting weights and various heavy (or light) pieces of equipment is more welcomed than ever.

Also, you don't have to run 10 miles a day to be "fighting fit". There is more than one way to skin a cat now...

Wlad swam for his cardio, worked wonders for him.

Juan Diaz used the stair master, and he had the best cardio in the game in his day.

Toney just stayed active in the gym.

RJJ played Basketball.

Holyfield used a bodybuilding programme, and if you know you're stuff, it's not at all functional when you're a Boxer, but his cardio was tremendous.

Running 10 miles a day, doing 500 sit-up's, starving yourself to make weight is all old hat now.

You don't NEED to be Kip Keano to have a good aerobic base.
    There are MANY different ways to strengthen your core without hurting your back.
    You CAN eat more and lose weight.

PIRA and Tramell like this.
  3. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    But you would be naive to suggest it is soley down to steroids.

HW Boxers are bigger than ever now. Joshua, Tyson, Wlad - they're just born to be big.

4. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    IMO Weight lifting is kinda useless for our sport. Guys like Evander Holyfield, Timothy Bradley, Steve Cunningham, Devon Alexander and Anthony Joshua are proof enough. Built, ripped, no body fat and all of them have to KO by accumulation of punches.

Julian Jackson, Alexis Arguello no muscular frame: One punch. No Ariza SuperShake.
    Sam Peter, just country-strong.
    I know there has to be some southerners here who can bare witness to some country dudes who can walk into a weight room, bench 285lb no warm up, then walk back out.

Ernie Shavers, George Foreman, those guys didn't need special training to KO people. IMO it's natural. A person can develop muscle to push people around the ring, but that's not arm-punch strong.

Greatest example I can think of is that little Filipino guy...what's his name?? Oh, Manny Pacqiauo. He was KOi'ing people before Ariza, before Roach. Natural.

As far as stamina, I think PED's help a lot with that. But some people have an inner beast that can keep throwing until...aka Joe Calzaghe.
    What Larry Holmes & Ken Norton did for 15 rounds was stupidly amazing in punch output. Round 15 throwing dozens of combos nonstop.

Jack Johnson was the result of probably good genetics. One of the few muscular punchers in boxing, unlike Joe Louis & Rocky Marciano whom didn't have the body builder frame, but they were genuine punchers. One punch, no steroids, PED, supers hakes black bottles...

And yet no great nutritionist. But I will admit, decades ago, food wasn't raided by the chemical society, as a result, food was actually fuel.
    Today athletes need nutritionists for that sole purpose: what garbage that is labeled as food to stay away from.
    Mackie Shilstone? for Hop moving up did that...I think that was his name?

Eel87 likes this.
  5. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Modern nutrition in the heavyweight division counts for KFC and McDonald's nowadays. Just look at that gluttonous blob Ruiz. He completely dismantled that useless bodybuilder Joshua. Serves him right for looking down at the fat man. lol

Tramell likes this.
  6. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    This was the best HW in the world at one point....
    This content is protected

dealt_with and Slowhand like this.
  7. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I mean you might well be what you claim, but the odds are you're just another a fantasist from the internet. And it might be better all-round if you are indeed just another forum fantasist, because the word salads you serve up when discussing PEDs in sport and similar topics would be of no use as 'professional advice'.....

8. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    I stopped reading here. Know why? Evander enlisted the help of a BODYBUILDING CHAMPION to go up to HW. And he was never some type of "1 and gone" at CW.

Reminder the board, how did Evander fare at HW again?

Another clueless individual.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    PIRA and dealt_with like this.
  9. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Respectfully disagree. You clearly don't know a thing about this side of the game.

dealt_with is a very knowledgeable guy in this field IF you know what he is talking about, which you clearly don't.

dealt_with likes this.
  10. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    "Oh but he was playing up for the camera, they ALL did that back then!"

- Clueless, out of shape, armchair fan who hates any fighter post-'79.

11. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah, that's not boxing.

PIRA and Brixton Bomber like this.
  12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    The better boxer, because it's the sport of boxing. That's not an argument for or against lifting weights, as I could provide endless counter-examples to your example based solely on appearance. You make the mistake of conflating appearance/genetics with lifting weights. Then you don't differentiate lifting weights on a calorie surplus or deficit, and what the aims of the weight training program were. If you are better able to exert and withstand force then how do you align that with your idea that there would be no meaningful carryover to boxing?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    PIRA and Brixton Bomber like this.
  13. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Nah, you just can't see the esoteric long lost boxing skills he is displaying that went down with Atlantis. He'd spark Joshua right out.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  14. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    You think a coach worth anything wouldn't adjust to his audience? I don't know who is reading here, I communicate to every athlete differently depending on their personality and/or on what I need to get out of them.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  15. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015

I 'clearly don't' based on what exactly? I haven't implied I do have any particular expertise in the matter or stated anything in this thread, I just a passing interest like most of us. However, he has in the past claimed PEDs have no impact on athletic performance and this despite apparently working in athletics where the women's 400m world record was set back in the 1970s by an East German when that country's state-sponsored doping programme was on another level. So much so, one East German female athlete is now living as a man, such was the dramatic changes in her body because of the drugs she (he) was given.

But PEDs don't affect performance, apparently.

Thanks for for respect....