*Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Smith, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    :think

Im inclined to say yes:yep

2. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Most people would still consider him too boring for that spot- though i like him

3. Smith

Mar 8, 2007
    **** boring, he did what he had to do, nobody could beat him when he started his roll, i honestly dont think anyone in history could have beaten him in his peak, nobody.

4. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    An awful lot of American's do consider him the top middleweight of all time. In a division which has had SRR, Hagler, SRL, Duran, Fitzsimmons, Greb, Walker, Zale, Griffith, Benvenuti, Ketchel, Langford, The Nonpariel Jack Dempsey, Hearns and countless others within it's ranks, I'd say that's pretty good credit from the Yanks.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I think he falls outside the 5 whatever his nationality. I cant rate him above Armstrong,Pep,Greb,B Leonard,Ali..But he must be in everyones top 4 at 160

6. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah but if he was American he'd be no.1 :D

7. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    If he was P4P top 5 he would have got in the ring with John Conteh or Galindez or Bob Foster

8. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

Monzon was great pals with Galindez so that fight was never an option. A fight with Conteh was mooted for 1975 but fell through when John parted company with Mickey Duff.

9. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    As great as Monzon was i don't see him being very successfull at light-heavy - he was not suited to it. At middle he was superb, top 2.

10. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004

Of course, and in the days of one/two title holders, both very strong at the weight; not twenty years later when every Tom, Dick & Vasquez held a belt of some sort. ;)

11. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004

He'd probably be rated higher at 160 if he lost to Griffith, beat Griffith in rematch, lost to Napoles, beat Napoles in return, lost to Valdez, regained against Valdez. Drew with Corro, then carried on till he was in his mid forties and lost to Mark Kaylor and Larry Holmes' brother. ;)

12. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    For part of the 1970s, Monzon and Ali were boxing's only two undisputed champions. As Carlos had no difficulty maintaining his weight, he had no incentive to take a demotion to partial world championship recognition in the LHW division. (Ditto Hagler.)

Should John McCain somehow manage to win the White House, he would attempt to implement domestic federal authority over an international sport. Carlos Monzon's career, in which he only defended his title once in the States, is testament to the absurdity of McCain's notion. (As I will point out to him personally when I see him, assuming somebody else on the boards here has not already pointed the example of Monzon's career out to McCain. All a federal boxing commission would do is drive boxing further out of the U.S.)

13. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I consider him the greatest middleweight of all time and one of the top 10 of all time pound-for-pound(top five is debatable) as it is.

14. Smith

Mar 8, 2007
    :lol:The scary thing is youre probably right:lol:

Just wanted to see what the reaction towards him is, ive got him as 8 on my all time P4P

15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    If he was American, or even spoke English and smiled more, he'd be considered a legend, right up there with Ali, Leonard, Duran and De La Hoya. Of course, he was at least as great as Ali, and better than the others I mentioned.