More impresive victory - Usyk beating Joshua or Fury beating Wladimir Klitschko

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Oct 24, 2021.

Which is the more impressive victory?

1. Usyk beating Joshua

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Fury beating Wladimir Klitschko

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Which is the more impressive victory? Vote!

2. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Usyk, because he beat prime AJ. Wlad was very old when Fury beat him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    89-0, Rakesh, Robney and 7 others like this.
  3. Mighty

Mighty The Gypsy King banned Full Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Fury, because 2015 post prime Wlad would beat the crap out of AJ.

Also, Fury's achievement is much better because he ended 11 years domination of Wlad.

4. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wlad was never that good and was past whatever peak he might have had when Fury managed to land the winning jab on him. Usyk beating AJ is easily more impressive.

Rakesh, Quina74, Jackman65 and 2 others like this.
  5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I'd say Usyk/Joshua.

Yes Wlad is better than Joshua but Wlad was past prime and Joshua was prime. Also the manner of Usyk's performance was more impressive to me, especially as he was the smaller man unlike Fury vs Wlad.

6. GeoZe

GeoZe New Member Full Member

Sep 23, 2021
    Edged AJ, wanted Usyk to win, wasn't shocked with the victory. I was shocked when Fury beat Wlad. I expected Fury to get KO'd cold by a straight right or a left uppercut, but he made it look easy. Underrated victory that gets discredited because of Wlad's age.

7. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Wlad was never that good yet a 41 year old Wlad pushed Joshua to his limit and had Wlad had Steward in his corner Joshua probably would've gotten taken care of. Prime Wlad would box Joshua's head in before tearing it off

mirkofilipovic and Salty Dog like this.
  8. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    If this is based purely on the outcome of both fights and not the dynamics. Then for me personally I think it's Fury beating Wlad.

Without the benefit of hindsight, at the time of the Fury/Wlad bout I didn't confidently expect Fury to win to be honest. I know Wlad was on the slide prior to that fight but still thought it was big ask and that he was man to beat at the time.

Fast forward to the Usyk/AJ fight and I was reasonably certain that Usyk would win. I predicted that AJ on his A game loses on points and anything less he'd get stopped by Usyk.

Because of my personal expectations on both fights I have to say Fury>Wlad was the most impressive for me, due to it being a less "likely" win for Fury at the time.

Finkel likes this.
  9. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Pains me to say it, but Usyk/Joshua.

Fury/Klitschko was an amazing achievement, but as others point out Joshua is in his prime. People can argue that Joshua has shown signs of dropping off, but so had Wlad against Jennings leading into the Fury fight. On the other hand, Joshua did manage to turn the tide a little in the middle rounds, but he was utterly spent when the final bell sounded. Then again, Klitschko looked befuddled for the majority of the fight, but tried to finish strong.

Maybe it is based on expectations. Having seen Fury come up and the electric form he was in proceeding the Klitschko fight, I expected the younger, bigger man to win. And, whilst I thought Usyk had a good chance due to just how technically superior he is to Joshua, he still was the older guy (many thought he himself had lost a step) and was at a very large size disadvantage.

They were both on the road, so Fury and Usyk winning on the cards was a pleasant surprise in both cases. But, I got to go with Usyk/Joshua, I really think that was a historically special event we witnessed. One where we can look back and say, this was the fight where Usyk became an ATG

Col Mortimer likes this.
  10. Guerra

Guerra Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Usyk looked better and would give it to him if AJ didnt already didnt get his ass kicked by Ruiz.

Taking a comfortable decision from Klitschko in Germany after a 10 year reign is the more impressive accomplishment.

Col Mortimer likes this.
  11. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    You make a fair point, but it doesn't really matter that much imo; due to the weak nature of his competition and the forbearance of his brother, Wlad had a long reign as HW Champ. Better to be lucky than good, I guess.

Also, I think that the Joshua that lost to Usyk might be better than the one that beat Wlad. Add to that Usyk was coming up a weight class and his win was by far the more dominant and the pusillanimous nature of Fury's victory over Wlad, I voted for Usyk in the above poll.

12. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Fury beating Klitschko was a bigger win. He put an end to the long dominant Klitschko reign, and started a new Era in HW boxing.

He was a huge underdog and took a living legend to school.

Usyk did very well against the #3 HW, but Joshua has always been over hyped.

13. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Maybe. Wlad was old. I could see Joshua beating that version. But Wlad at his peak was a level above imo

Salty Dog likes this.
  14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Fury was much younger and bigger than Klitschko, and Wlad was coming off the worst camp of his life. Even then the fight was boring AF and Fury won by literally landing 2 punches more a round. Then he swerved the rematch.

Usyk was much smaller and a bit older than AJ, who was prime. Everybody had been ragging on Usyk about being sub-par against Chisora and Witherspoon. Yet Usyk went in and dethroned AJ in a boxing masterclass that was one of the most exciting fights in recent memory, taking the bodybuilder to pieces. He's all game for the rematch.

It's Usyk's win that was more impressive, and by a lot.

15. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Wlad was undefeated for years Aj had just lost and avenged the loss