More power, prime Hagler or GGG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Feb 21, 2021.

Did Hagler hit harder than GGG?

1. Marvin hit harder than GGG

26 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. GGG hit harder than a prime Hagler

56 vote(s)
    58.9%
  3. Both had the same level of power in their respective title reigns

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    OMG lol

BRRRO... The point is that Roy Jones fought at 154 whether it was once or 100 time, he fought as low as 154, moved up through 160, 168, 175, 190, all the way to 200+, and won.

Jones spent 5 years fighting at MW and climbed through 4 more weight classes to become champion.
    Pacquiao spent 13 years fighting at SFW or below and climbed through 4 more weight classes to become champion.
    Duran spent 8 years fighting at LW and climbed through 4 more weight classes to become champion.

See a pattern? I do.

What point are you trying to make here?

I'm sure all three will reach HoF status. They were well known, and did decent for their times. Golovkin's best win is a razor close fight vs Jacobs. Margarito's best win is a clear but brutal war against Cotto, and Joh Ruiz best win is against Evander Holyfield.

One fighter is not even HoF material, moved up 13 lbs to face GGG in his first fight at MW, and had it not been for his glass face would have given GGG a hell of a fight. Another fighter is arguably in the top 5 ATG, hit like a mule at any weight, had ATG defense, ATG skills, and more talent in his right testicle than Brook could ever dream of. That is the difference.

What?!

You said "Duran has virtually no chance at beating GGG, saying otherwise would be ridiculous."

I simply disagreed, and stated I found it funny that you think the idea of Duran beating Golovkin is ridiculous.

I can totally see Duran using his skill and talent to beat the limited Golovkin.

Golovkin has not done anything to show me he could beat a legend like Duran. I would probably even favor the Duran who beat SRL to outclass Golovkin. What's ridiculous about that? Duran is an absolute legend. You think a prime, in shape, beast like Duran would let a slow, plodding, telegraphic puncher whos best punches are from above bother him. I can see Duran getting on the inside and brutalizing GGGs body. No jab is going to stop Duran from getting in. GGG can't move like Leonard or Hagler.

I then showed you examples of fighters who spent their primes in weights only to move up years later and win titles at the higher weights.

Also, doesn't Golovkin weigh in at 170 on fight night. How would Duran be at a 20 lb deficit?

Unlike you totally discounting Duran, I don't completely discount GGG in this fight scenario, but I haven't seen why GGG would beat someone as skilled as Duran. He couldn't even beat Canelo, and got lucky against SD.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Golovkin has quite a few 1 punch KOs. I'll agree that he doesn't look for the 1 punch KO, but he does have them.

iii and Beouche like this.
  3. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012

LMFAO! Maybe iSalty needs to learn to read. From his own link:

"GGG is looking for options after Canelo Alvarez withdrew from their May 5 rematch withdrew following two failed drugs tests. Spike O'Sullivan and Jaime Munguia are being touted as potential opponents for the WBA, IBF and WBC champion. That date comes too soon for Saunders, who is recovering from a hand injury ahead of his fight with Martin Murray in June."

Oscar says that Haymon is impossible to deal with. So why are you then demanding that GGG make a fight with Charlo?

Golovkin fought Derevyanchenko for the IBF belt. The same belt that Canelo dropped in order NOT to fight Derevyanchenko.

Doesn't change the fact that Golovkin would have destroyed them. Cotto paid GGG almost a million dollars not to fight him.

Not at 160. Duran was much much better at lighter weights and I have no doubt that GGG or Canelo would be heavily favoured at middleweight over Duran, particularly under modern rehydration rules.

No arguments from me.

You obviously don't follow boxing. There's a LONG list of fighters that could have had a GGG fight but were magically indisposed when the time came to make the fight. Ward, Froch, Sturm, Martinez, Cotto, Eubank, Chavez Jr could all have had a Golovkin fight but declined. Canelo ducked Golovkin for years at 155 and dropped his belt rather than face him. All facts.

timeout, iii, The Real Lance and 2 others like this.
  4. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Wake me up whenever ggg knocks a atg like hearns in less than 4 rounds.

5. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Hearns got stopped 4 times. Shocking, I know.

The Real Lance and Beouche like this.
  6. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Well said. Educating the masses and destroying the endless cesspit of trolls this place seems to attract. Keep it up!

The Real Lance and BCS8 like this.
  7. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Nope. I just use logic when it comes to all fighters, unlike you who worships Golovkin and tries hard to find a spin.

Its not complicated:

For starters Golovkin was not required to fight a retired Super Welterweight with two weeks notice.
    He could have postponed his fight date, and fought BJ Saunders for much more money the following month.
    Instead, he opted to fight Vanes for less money...
    and lose his IBF title in the process.

Why did he choose less money, and chose to be stripped? The obvious and real answer is because he was not confident he could 100% beat Saunders, or Derevyanchenko for that matter. He did not want to RISK losing before facing Canelo again. Its what it is. He is choosing to take the path of least resistance while he "waits" on Canelo to capture belts at 175, and 168.

You're a fan of that?

So that's the excuse? That's what you're going to go with for Golovkin? Oscar said that Haymon (his arch nemesis who almost destroyed his company) is a pain in the ass in negotiations so Golovkin should not fight him? lol

The WBC ordered Golovkin to fight Charlo for a shot at the MW title, and Golovkin and his team straight up said NO. You're proud of that move?

Do you know who Golovkin's next opponent was after the WBC ordered him to fight Charlo? Steve Rolls. Let that sink in.

That's your hero.

Golovkin was stripped of the IBF title in June 2018. The reason he was stripped is because he REFUSED to commit to fighting No.1 contender then UNDEFEATED Sergiy Derevyanchenko.

Guess when he did finally agreed to fight Sergiy Derevyanchenko? AFTER Derevyanchenko lost to Jacobs, and looked very beatable against Jack Culcay.

Golovkin did not fight his mandatory when he was supposed too.

Btw, remember when you and the GGG fanatics defended GGG's level of opposition because fighting mandatories was a priority? lol

First of all, GGG does not destroy healthy Prime elite fighters. Never has, probably never will.

Second of all, taking a more lucrative deal against more accomplished fighters is not considered ducking. I mean, isn't that the reason that you GGG fanatics use to defend GGG for not fighting the elite MWs? lolGeez, ow can you contradict yourself twice in one post?

Small Kassim Ouma was outboxing "PRIME" Golovkin. I can assure you that Duran's chin, stamina, talent, and skills are light years above Ouma's. And before you say Ouma had the style, do you know Ouma's fight style? Do you know how versatile Duran was?

I'm not even saying GGG wouldn't beat Duran, I'm saying anyone who thinks the idea that a fighter like Duran couldn't beat a fighter like Golovkin are just being fanboys.

I've already posted examples of fighters that spent most of their careers at lighter weights, only to move up multiple divisions and capture titles in 3 or 4 divisions above their prime weights, such as Pacquiao, RJJ, Canelo, SRL.....

A real logical fan would say, I would favor Golovkin but history has shown us that a Great little guy can beat a Good big guy. In this case the great little guy is Roberto ****ing Duran.

Come on bro, lets try to be real for once. Get off GGGs nuts and be reasonable.

Ward: GGG rejected Ward's offer. That is undisputable. GGG did not want to fight Ward at 168. Golovkin wanted to drain Ward down to 164.
    Wards team in fact sent GGG an offer for a fight at 168, and Tom Loeffler has acknowledge this fact, and THEIR reason for rejecting the offer was because they didn't want 50/50, they wanted GGG to have a much bigger piece of the pie.

So again, how is Ward asking for 50/50 and not being able to drain down to Golovweight of 164 a duck exactly? On the contrary, it seems GGG was not keen on fighting Ward.

Froch: First of all Froch was retired. Secondly Golovkin's team put a stipulation in the negotiations that required Froch to come in at 166.

So how was Froch as you put it "magically indisposed"?

Sturm: Who cares about Sturm. He's always been overrated was KTFO by Javier Castillejo who ODLH dominated, he drew with the most out of shape ODLH I've ever seen. So he decided to not fight GGG. Ok. That's 1 guy.

Martinez: He fought Cotto, and was on his last leg literally. Cotto > Golovkin in terms of fame, money, legacy. This was is as obvious as 2+2=4. Isn't that why GGG doesn't fight the other MW elites, because he's waiting on Canelo, the money fight? Don't you see your double standards? Is GGG magically indisposed to fight Andrade, Charlo, Ramirez, Saunders, give Jacobs a rematch?

Cotto: Same as Martinez. Old, retiring, better option for him.

As far as the Two Juniors, no one gives two shits about those fights. They are not legacy defining at all, and JCCjr especially is a total bum. Neither was required to fight GGG either, and neither had a title for. Pretty much two B or C level fighters who offer nothing but a few dollars.

Look bro, GGG is a good fighter, not sure why you're willing to lose integrity to defend his eveyr little move. Lets just be real boxing fans.

I can praise him. GGG is strong as a mule, and punches like a mule kicks. He has good defense, and takes a good licking.

His faults: He is a Risk/Reward ratio type of fighter. In other words he is very selective on who he fig and under what terms. He is willing to pass up on legacy fights if his terms are not met.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    maac and HellSpawn86 like this.
  8. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Maybe you can help BCS8 in the previous post.

9. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    This. Duran is the best fighter you and I have ever seen on TV. We've talked about this before.

That said, GGG is not losing to a LW. Not gonna happen. Duran beats GGG when hell freezes over.

BCS8 likes this.
  10. ZablieJudahnoff

ZablieJudahnoff Charleston White 2024 Full Member

Apr 2, 2015
    GGG sends small Duran packing to the toilet in the first 7 Rounds.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Hardly surprised the idiots are voting for the farce. :lol:

12. Scar

Jul 20, 2004
    Yeah, he surely proved he can do that thanks to his biggest win to date against Kell Brook. :qmeparto:

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  13. ZablieJudahnoff

ZablieJudahnoff Charleston White 2024 Full Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Kell Brook would have flattened Duran with the punches he landed on G.

14. Scar

Jul 20, 2004
    Yeah, Lemieux would have also flattened Sugar Ray Leonard and boy do I feel sympathetic for Sugar Ray Robinson if he was forced in against Daniel Jacobs. :lol:

maac and IsaL like this.
  15. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    This is what we're dealing with here fellas.

The GGG fanaticism is reaching new levels of ridiculousness.

Now B level fighters like Kell Brook would destroy the consensus top 5 ATG.

maac and Scar like this.