More Punching Power : Marciano or Tyson.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    let's remake the thread.

Tyson = Kid Dynamite aka Iron Mike, had 1 Punch KO during his prime, had a great head movement , and his agility was amazing (some sources compare his agility to middleweight speed).

Marciano = Great Power, Great Chin, Also had 1 Punch KO, the only boxer in history to retire profesionally underfeated (49-0).

Who do you think has the best Punching Power. here's 2 videos of both fighters, so it can help you decide.

[yt]ZeL2VAEaAEU[/yt]

[yt]poNQnK981Sw[/yt]

2. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Tyson no doubt had more power.

3. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    elaborate? :D

4. Lostmykeys

Lostmykeys Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    Tyson in his prime had more one punch power and could KO just about anyone with one punch if he hit them right. I also that he had great power with cumulative punching and could KO someone in that way.

Mariano had good power for a heavyweight and great power for his size but he cannot compete with the bigger Mike Tyson.

5. Rattler

Rattler Middle Aged Man Full Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Marciano

Tyson was much more stronger and bigger than Marciano, yet Marciano carried his power late better than Tyson - which is more indicative of hitting harder, since power is the last thing that goes.

6. Silver

Silver The Champ is Here Full Member

Jul 16, 2005
    you mean late in fights, or late in their careers?

7. Rattler

Rattler Middle Aged Man Full Member

Feb 9, 2005
    In fights.

Marciano didn't hang around long enough to prove that his power dissipated over time - although I doubt it would have, he kept in too good a shape to become soft.

8. Silver

Silver The Champ is Here Full Member

Jul 16, 2005
    but seems to have more to do with stamina. very few fighters in boxing had the kind of stamina marciano had. he had alot more then tyson for sure.

9. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Tyson clearly.

10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Tyson.The speed he generated was amazing.

11. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Equal.

It's pointless splitting hairs over who hit harder - they'd both decapitate most of you pencilnecks on this forum, that's all you need to understand.

12. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    marciano had a strange extra power in his hands. its just weird. :?

13. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    The video comparison isn't really fair- there are literally dozens of Tyson knockouts over various journeymen and clubfighters to stack up on video, while the only film available of Marciano is of him against serious name opponents. The Tyson video shows almost nothing but the knockouts, which makes Tyson look exaggeratedly freakish and superhuman, while the Marciano video has a lot of clips of general action from his fights. The Tyson video gives off a more impressive air, but if there were films of all of Marciano's early knockouts over local clubfighters and the like(and, according to accounts, there were fights in which Marciano lifted opponents off the canvas, knocked them out cold for 10 minutes, etc. during this time period), it wouldn't look this way.

Personally, I think they had pretty equal punching power.

14. Muchmoore

Muchmoore Guest

Tysons one punch power was better than Marcianos. He had more weight and momentum in each punch along with him having the faster hands which leads to a sledgehammer like punch.

Marciano punched like a mule kicked, for sure, but not quite like Tyson in my opinion.

15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    I completely agree. I think the two were about equal in punching power.

Now don't retort to my following comments because I don't want to go off topic but just some thoughts: I think Marciano had a better KO record against WORTHY opponents than Iron Mike because he was the greater fighter against other opponents (despite me picking Tyson over Marciano against each other). He persisted and had the stamina to get better KOs against better fighters.

Back to topic - I do think Marciano had scarier and more horrible stories than Tyson (I don't know why guys like Foreman or Shavers who IMO hit harder don't have these stories although Shavers did break someone's back) and that speaks about his power.

tyson was the better puncher but you can't ignore that Marciano always kept his power whereas Mike wore down in the late rounds (although Tyson did KO a decnt opponent in ribalta in round 10 and he did drop Douglas in round 8 and his time did not demand him to fight 15 rounds). i don't know how to factor that into this.

your pick.