More Punching Power : Marciano or Tyson.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    don't try and change the topic, boy.

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Didn't change the topic, responded to it.

3. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Both had power, Tyson tried to generate his power early...Marciano stayed with him for 15 rds. Tyson only once KO'd a man after the 8th rd and it was a TKO over Jose Ribalta...Marciano had 15 rd power

4. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Tyson had power all night. In addition, he was fighting much bigger, stronger men ... .. Imagine if Tyson was hitting 188 pound Charles, 195 pound Walcott, 185 pound LaStarza or porkchop Cockell ? He'd be put back in jail.

There is no comparison.

5. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Reality.

6. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Except boxing is the only sport you can be legally killed

7. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Punching Power is Mass of the source + Speed + Distance the punch travals.
    Tyson comes out on top in all 3.

8. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Tyson, although his power might be overrated. It was his speed and accuracy that made him lethal. I'm sure if they tested the power of these two men it would be closer than most think. Because Tyson is much more accurate, faster, and just much sharper a puncher.

If it's P4P power it's Rocky. Tyson will always be a much superior puncher, he's arguably the greatest HW puncher. That's including Louis (Although I don't rank him #1. Case can easily be made).

9. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    How can Tyson be the bigger puncher by Marciano be the bigger P4P puncher? Even though he was smaller he didn't exactly knock out any humongous opponents did he, if they were bloody good opponents.

Tyson knocked his opponents into oblivion.

10. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    I'd say P4P Rocky and Dempsey are right up there w Fitz and Langford ...

Let's look at this analogy ... 188 pound Henry Cooper for all intents and purposes knocked out a young Ali. Only the bell save Ali from destruction. He was out on his feet. I think it's safe to say Marciano hit as hard as Cooper (at least) ... if Rocky , at 188, hit hard enough to KO Ali, how much harder do you need to hit ?

My point, Rocky did hit hard enough to KO 99% of the guys that ever lived. Maybe a Chuvalo or McCall are excluded but that's about it ... if Rocky landed and could fight his fight which is a whole other story ...

11. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Because P4P levels the weight difference. And I said P4P in terms of power (Not as a puncher).

How many 1 punch KO's does Tyson have against ranked opposition?

Tyson was lethal with speed and accuracy. Holmes said Norton and Shavers had more power for Christ Sakes.

12. Jaws

Jaws Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2009
    No doubt Tyson. You can't argue with physics. And his punches were a lesson in physics and form. He used his entire body to generate power. Not that nobody else ever did, but Tyson was particularly exemplary at it. His huge legs were a definite asset to his overall punching power.

Rocky was surely a freak himself, but he did not possess Tyson's physical attributes.

13. Woddy

Woddy Guest

The obvious answer is Tyson. And anyone who think otherwise, needs to brush up on their knowledge.

14. darealchamp23

darealchamp23 New Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2010
    I'll say Tyson. He had more one-punch knockout power.

15. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    In my opinion: From in close, Marciano. From further off, Tyson.