More Punching Power?? - Tyson,Marciano,Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    choose.

here are some videos to help you guys choose.

p.s - this will be the last more punching power thread. :good

[yt]05GJrbVplkI[/yt] MIKE TYSON

[yt]RP3UManJNsw[/yt]ROCKY MARCIANO

[yt]b4BNa0zEk6s[/yt]SONNY LISTON

2. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Now, again, the videos aren't fair. Liston and Marciano don't look as good on a highlight reel as Tyson, but it's mainly because all of Tyson's knockouts are available on film(and generally excellent color film with multiple camera angles and the like at that), including the ones against local clubfighters and professional losers. Among the clips on the Tyson video are knockouts over guys like Don Halpin, Eddie Richardson, Michael Jack Johnson, Mike Jameson, Steve Zouski, Reggie Gross, Cliff Etienne, Rick Spain, Trent Singleton, and others, who were never even close to being serious contenders and some of whom had losing records against local opposition. You can make a giant montage of Tyson knockout punches because all of Tyson's professional fights are available on film, but we only have a few of Marciano and Liston's fights, mainly against serious opposition. If we had modern color footage of all of Liston and Marciano's early knockouts against ham-and-egger opponents and only had film of a dozen of Tyson's fights, all against name opponents, then we would have much different images of these guys in the ring than we do.

There are only six of Liston's knockouts shown(plus one of him knocking Whitehurst out of the ring in what technically wasn't a knockout, because Whitehurst was saved by the bell) and only seven of Marciano's. There are more knockout clips in the first minute of the Tyson video than there are in the entirety of the other two combined.

If you want to give people a good way of comparing these guys, then instead of doing it this way, I suggest you offer tapes of a few of the key fights of each man's career, like, say, Liston vs. Folley, Williams, Machen, Patterson and Ali, Marciano vs. Layne, Louis, Matthews, Walcott, Charles, and Moore, and Tyson vs. Berbick, Smith, Tucker, Spinks, Bruno and Douglas).

3. Sweet Science

Sweet Science Peaceful Muslim Warrior Full Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Between Tyson Marciano and Liston its quite complex.

If we're talking single shots then I'd say Marciano and his Suzie q

Accumalitive, devastating combination punches would be Tyson.

But if we're talking overall consistent heavy punch power then its Liston.

However, Foreman and Shavers trump all three with their freakish power.

In my opinion no heavyweight ever hit harder than Foreman.

4. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    ok much better. :good

i always bring highlights for people to see who hits harder. lol :p

5. Stewbear

Stewbear Active Member Full Member

May 5, 2006
    It is between Tyson and Liston, but so close maybe just Liston

6. Street Lethal

Street Lethal Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2007
  7. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    I really believe that all 3 have the SAME punching power but Tyson has the best delivery system.

marciano's suzie q and tyson's right on botha seem to display similar power - just my opinion.

8. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007

9. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Marciano was 184-189 for his title fights, or about 10-15 pounds above light heavyweight and in the middle of today's definition of cruiserweight. At that weight, he was very lean and had little excess muscle mass. If you compare his fat content and muscle bulk with that of the vast majority of modern heavyweights, you'll notice a large disparity. Now, if Marciano had been far less obsessive over his conditioning, done a lot less roadwork and training in general and done a lot more weightlifting like what you see with nearly all modern heavyweights, he would have been easily over 200 pounds.
    This content is protected

Compare here with Tyson's body build:

If Marciano had more of a weight-lifter style of conditioning like Tyson, he could easily have added another 20 pounds of muscle and gotten at least into the 205-210 range.

Now, had he subscribed to th Lamon Brewster school of conditioning and softened up a bit in addition to adding muscle bulk, Marciano could easily have been 220 pounds without looking or performing in an unusual manner for a modern heavyweight.

You're very ignorant here. Four of Marciano's seven title fights were against opponents weighing more than 190, and his lightest title opponent weighed in at 184 3/4. Marciano was 11-0 with 11 knockouts against 200+ pound opponents, so this argument comes off a little weak, doesn't it?

Moore was never knocked out in the first round in his prime. In fact, he hadn't been stopped at all in nearly a decade when Marciano fought him.

:-(

10. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    I don't think Marciano hits quite as hard as Liston or Tyson. Perhaps if he did gain twenty-thwenty-five pounds, but not as is.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If I had to provide one name in terms of raw power I would say that Liston has impresed me the most on film.

Thuddd

12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Because much in puching power dose not make sense.

You can get a fighter who is bigger than another and has every theoretical reason to hit harder but barely hits half as hard.

I would bet my mortgage for example that Bob Satterfield hit harder than Primo Carnera.