Moses Itauma or Mike Tyson? Who has been 'hyped' better?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by themostoverrated, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Different era. 20 years earlier Muhammad Ali was the most famous man on earth. Tyson was probably the most famous sportsman at his peak but he didn't transcend politics and peak box office entertainers so was already at lesser status but still globally known. Media has diverged so much now you can be globally famous to a particular cohort or generation but completely unknown to anyone else. Things like K-Pop completely baffle me in terms of popularity for example, but some of the acts would fill Wembley twice over.

2. Beale

Beale Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 13, 2023
    The X Factor's One Erection and Pick n Mix really astonished me with the level of success for Dillian Whyte level talent.

Bob Flaps likes this.
  3. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    When I was working in TV for a while one of the X Factor runners-up came to visit the station once - I'd no idea who it was, but we had to call in the police to calm down the crowds...

Ricky Burns wasn't far off the same level, mind you!

TED 822 and Beale like this.
  4. TED 822

TED 822 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 10, 2012
    True but hes not going to achieve it and never was. The talk is about a glittering amateur career but I cant remember it. Did he win the ABAs or was he in the GB squad. All we hear is who hes been sparring . His opposition has been poor. Garber was ok at his own level and a brave lad but the most famous thing about him is his dad beat John Fury.
    Positive side is he looks a million dollars. Big lad with plenty of time to achieve, though not the Tyson stuff.
    Negative is the opposition is much of a muchness. Fat TTEEs with losing records. Are they holding him back cos hes plenty off time or because his brother got stopped when stepped up. Dunno.
    He should be fighting for the English now against Dacres. Or preferably against a big American with a similar record. I doin t buy that they're all pricing themselves out.

Bob Flaps likes this.