Mosley, Floyd, Cotto, GGG & Kovalev. Who has faced a more notable crop of faded Greats than Canelo?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by 941Jeremy, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Golovkin would have been realistic one year earlier at best. It wasn't really THAT late considering it only became a realistic fight when Canelo beat Cotto. And I think Golovkin himself probably is glad that he had the brook and Jacobs fights in between to raise his profile and make it a bigger money fight.
    Golovkin still looked very capable until the rematch where he started showing the first REAL signs of being past it when he looked hurt by canelos middle round body attack and couldn't answer back with the usual aggression. I had GGG winning the first fight btw

Cotto was at the right time but the man was beat up and small. Looked like a little boy next to canelo and had been through a 100 wars.

Mosley was shot but Canelo was green and it was a build up fight.

Kovalev is declined but was top 3 p4p at one point and with the size advantage is stil a VERY dangerous fight. Kovalev is a slight favourite imo no matter what the odds say, he actually looks better under McGirt right now than GGG

2. Pound4PoundGG

Pound4PoundGG Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2013
    not his fault. He was too green to fight them any earlier. You cant fault canelos resume at all. He fought mayweather when he was what 20? who would risk losing at that age? this guy is protected to some extent but seems like a warrior to me who cares about creating a legacy.

kirk likes this.
  3. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    LMAO, total fail

4. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    Are you describing Pacquiao?

5. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I would say Canelo is the worse of the bunch.

Fighting guys in their twilight of mid 30's.

May and Pac are there but not as bad. At least they fought in their 40's and still not one youngen can beat them fairly. Very ironic.

6. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010
    What condition a fighter is in has more to due with the value of a win than there age. Manny Pacquiao is 40 and just dominated a top 3 WW Champ.

outside of Mosley which was a step up fight for a young fighter vs a vet... every single name mentioned was one of if not the best in the respective division.

Mayweather was P4P #1 unbeaten and Held the WBA super Title at JMW and the WBC Title at WW and was #1 at WW and JMW...who else was he supposed to fight?

Cotto was Lineal & WBC MW Champ coming off KO's of Martinez,Geale, & Rodriguez also a competitive loss to Mayweather you can argue weight all you want but Cotto was the champ how is that a bad fight he won another title at 154 directly after.

GGG was pretty much Undisputed MW Champ holding WBC,WBA, & IBF before getting stripped of IBF just before the fight also had a win while close over the next highest rated MW Jacobs, the second fight GGG was still Champ seeing as it was a draw and some ppl think GGG won so how can you discredit it?

Kovalev is currently the most accomplished LHW is Currently top 3 and WBO Champ dude has lost to 2 fights and in 4 fights even tho he went 1-3 a real argument can be made that be beat Ward in fight I and could be 2-2 losing the rematch the Ward and the first fight to Alvarez.

for all the flack I give GGG for his overall career GGG currently vs any other MW is a 50/50 fight Kovalev vs the winner of this weekends unification is a pick em fight Beterbiev is 34 Gvozdyk is 32 based if the fight next year they'll be 35 and 33 based off what you said that isn't PRIME Andrade is 32 so pretty much the only prime fighter is Charlo who has looked like crap vs every half decent opens they've faced.

IsaL likes this.
  7. PIPO23

May 18, 2006
    Barrera and Morales were actually in their late 20'a and early 30's believe it or not. Barrera is five year older than Pacquiao.
    Morales is 3 years older. Both never made it to fight in their 40's shot way too early or just met the pacific typhoon.

Marquez is a monster at any weight and age. No excuses he was just a cryptonite.

Hatton is the same age as Pacquiao. Yeah, he lost to Void. But Pacquiao edge it in the matter he beat Hugton way more devastating and exciting.

Continue on..shall we?

Mosley. Shakey Shane I would give you this he was 39 at the time. Even though he shook Void up with a right cross he had no business being in with Pacquiao.

Dela: 35 I would give you this one he was also old 35 and went SD with Void; Pacquiao made him look real old though.

Margarito:31 only a year older than Pacquiao. No excuses here. He came in looking tough came out with both eye balls shut and cracked.

Cotto : I'd give you this only fighter than can beat cotto is Margarito and Clenelo but to me Cotto was always overrated he is about the same age as Pacquiao.

As you can see Pacquiao's body of work isn't as bad as Clenelo. He is cleen free and still the best WW at 40's. So I rest my case.If your using age as excuse well Pacquiao is 40 so what now? beating your pups. What you going to say he beat a shot 20 something or a strong 30 year old on the tail end of their career?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Bofo24 likes this.
  8. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    In boxing ring age is dependent on many factors. A legend like Morales was shot before age 30, whereas a legend like Hopkins was just getting started at age 30.

9. PIPO23

May 18, 2006
    You're right Juanito.

I am just making you think about it. When talking about Clenelo. Maybe Clenelo will be shot when he hits 30 plus as well all that peds he taking there is side effects you know.

And all the tough WARS he is having with these mid 30;s elites who look like a shell of their primes is going to take it's toll. Poor Clenelo shot before he is 40.

10. IsaL

Oct 7, 2006
    I agree Bonifacio.

I've always felt that Canelo would have a short prime similar to Barrera and Morales since like them he started fighting pro as a teenager, he started fighting pro at 15, coupled with the type of fights he takes.

Just for some perspective, at age 29 Canelo has fought 391 professional rounds in contrast Golovkin at age 29 had only fought 81 rounds.

By age 29 Canelo has fought 310 more PRO rounds than Golovkin at that same age.

11. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Agree

941Jeremy likes this.
  12. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Manny Oscar Tyson

941Jeremy likes this.
  13. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Seems a bit unfair with some of this
    Floyd was arguably the p4p #1 at the time and arguably the greatest ever.
    Cotto was considered the MW champ at the time so not sure which other MW he was going to go after. Cotto was considered champ then not Golovkin.
    I don't know how many people felt Golovkin was faded when they fought and some consider Kovalev as the top LHW

I think it could be viewed either way but really think canelo is making a big move by jumping up to lhw to face Kovalev and deserves credit for such a brave move

IsaL likes this.