Most controversial results: Canelo vs GGG 1, Ward vs Kovalev 1, or Haney vs Lomachenko

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, May 23, 2023.

Most controversial results

1. Canelo vs GGG 1

117 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Ward vs Kovalev 1

35 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Haney vs Lomachenko

19 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    All 3 fights were big events where the best fighters at the time faced each other and gave the fans a good fight but the results were met with negativity. Which fight would you say created the biggest controversy and which fight has the best case of being considered a highway robbery?

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    pacas and columbo like this.
  2. Omega74

Omega74 Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2021
  3. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Golovkin vs. Canelo 1 by far. The other 2 were close (I thought Kovalev and Haney won) but the first Golovkin vs Canelo fight was relatively one sided. GGG won 8 rounds at the very least

Sheikh, C.J., Greg Price99 and 2 others like this.
  4. MAD_PIGE0N

MAD_PIGE0N ... banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    Golovkin-Canelo II is a way greater injustice than Haney-Lomachenko. GGG-Canelo I is a bigger robbery as well.

Keleneki, BCS8, ranger227 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony He`s the new Chisora as is Wilder Full Member

May 17, 2023
    Loma won but wasn`t active enough.

box33, MarkusFlorez99 and pacas like this.
  6. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Yep, it became a double robbery after the second fight. They had a chance to get it right but refused to do the right thing, which caused double negative historical impact on GGG'S career, and benifited Canelo greatly. The 2nd worst on the list is the kovalev robbery, they took all this mans hard earned belts!! The third was the Lomenchenko fight, i thought he edged it, but won the 11th big, which i think Loma deserves more credit for than the previous close rounds.

7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    No contest here. GGG beat Canelo and only Mexico City taxi drivers think differently.

8. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Well i thought Golovkin and Loma both won their fights 7-5, both were competitive fights but i thought they were competitive fights with clear winners.

I can't remember how i scored Kovalev/Ward but my general feeling was Kovalev's knockdown was the difference.

But the 118-110 scorecard in Canelo fight is unforgivable and its obvious that was corruption at its finest.

Overall i'll go with Canelo/Golovkin.

9. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I had both GGG v Canelo fights extremely close
    Loma winning by 4 rounds
    Not seen the Ward v Kovalev fight so the verdict goes to
    Loma v Haney

10. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    All three were bad. Kovalev pummeled Ward, GGG out fought Clen, and Loma outclassed Haney. All three east euro/Eurasian fighters. Of course there are countless more as Serge has noted,

11. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    All of them are terrible.

Nobody deserves to be robbed like that.

Why it's always eastern europeans the ones treated like that most of the time ?

12. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I dont think they even think so, just real odd balls.

13. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Canelo won rounds 1-3 and 10-12. Rounds 4-6 were each extremely close. I don't know what fight you thought you were watching, but if you didn't see a close competitive fight round after round, if you didn't see an edge of your seat thriller, then you're the oddball. Canelo started strong and finished strong, GGG stepped it up in the middle rounds. It was a classic, and one of the greatest Middleweight battles of our lifetime. What annoys me is you trying to cheapen such an amazing fight by claiming it was a robbery. Great fights are supposed to be controversial, close decisions are supposed to be debated and argued.

Get over yourself. We get it : you think GGG won. That's fine, but crying about it every day isn't helping your case. The best thing you can do at this point is to say "ya know what, I thought GGG won, but there were a lot of close rounds, Canelo had a very smart gameplan and I could see how you could score it for Canelo". I don't know why you can't just say that. It's not like you can't still think GGG did enough to win.

maac likes this.
  14. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I have to go with Kovalev Ward 1, if you compare it to the other two, it's really no comparison. Kovalev knocked down Ward early on, and in addition to that, many of the rounds Kovalev won were very clear. The rounds that Ward won in the 2nd half of the fight were extremely close, and if he did win enough rounds to win, he only edged out round after round to win on the cards. I had no issues with Ward winning as he showed heart, dug down deep to pull out enough rounds to win, he fought valiantly down the stretch and arguably did enough, but he was very fortunate to win on the cards. I'm not gonna call it a robbery, but it was by far the closest to a robbery out of these 3 examples. I am sympathetic to those who thought Kovalev was robbed. At least in that one, there's an argument that it was a robbery, as there was a knockdown, Ward was well behind on the cards at the mid-way point, and had to make somewhat of a miraculous comeback in the 2nd half, and unlike Canelo GGG, which was a draw, Kovalev actually lost, not just the fight but his titles. So I get that one being called a robbery. It checks all the boxes of what a robbery actually is.

GGG against Canelo the first time, he retained his titles with the draw, so he didn't lose anything. He didn't lose his 0, he was still undefeated. It's mental on so many levels to call that a robbery. Unlike Kovalev Ward 1, Canelo GGG 1 and Haney Lomachenko were very close round after round. It wasn't like Kovalev Ward 1 with Ward getting knocked down, being well behind halfway through, and needing a miraculous comeback in the 2nd half and only edging rounds that were mostly even down the stretch in order to come back, etc.

GBoxingFeed and pacas like this.
  15. kahoots

kahoots New Member Full Member

Nov 20, 2018
    GGG Canelo. These are important topics to make sure the truth is never forgotten.