Most embarassing losses...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GoldenHulk, Dec 18, 2018.

1. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Riddick Bowe vs Jorge Luis Gonzalez.
    A grudge match which turned out to be savage one sided beating for the Cuban.

2. Red Hulk40

Red Hulk40 Member Full Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Buster Douglas V Holyfield
    Douglas threw away his title by eating pizzas getting fat, easy night for Holyfield.

Gatekeeper, ETM and mark ant like this.
  3. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Zab Judah vs Kostya Tszyu.

Zab was being called "Pernell Whitaker with a punch" prior to this fight. The KO, chicken dance and subsequent in ring melt down surely must've been humiliating for Judah afterwards. In fact his career never really reached the lofty heights predicted afterwards, despite some sold wins and a decent enough career.

oldcanvasback, Gatekeeper and juppity like this.
  4. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Greg Page vs Mark Wills. 1 And 2. Page was highly skilled. Before Wills, Page had never been stopped, and, only lost to Championship caliber fighters by close decision.

The fact that a journeyman like Wills not only knocked page out, but did it twice, is shocking.

5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Middleweight champ Nino Benvenuti getting stopped in a non-title by 9-5-1 clubfighter Tom Bethea.

6. Gabriel Syme

Gabriel Syme Member banned Full Member

May 20, 2018
    Surprised to see Lewis-McCall I mentioned a few times but not Lewis-McCal II. Which to me was even more embarrassing than getting caught. That happens in boxing. Having a complete and total nervous breakdown in the ring is quite rare. I have nothing against him and hope he's fine today, but that was cringeworthy.

7. Gabriel Syme

Gabriel Syme Member banned Full Member

May 20, 2018
    Margarito-Cintron I - Obviously not because Cintron should have won, but just the way he fell apart under pressure. I seriously don't remember any single punch that hurt him that much, but he kept flailing and grabbing and falling all over the ring. And capped it off by flopping down on the seat of his pants without being hit. You could tell he was just lost out there.

BoboFett likes this.
  8. Roughhouse

Roughhouse Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I'll cast a vote for Eddie Mustafa Muhammad getting run off the road by Renaldo Snipes. Mustafa even got "knocked down" which visually looked like a fat duck plopping on an egg. Even better that Snipes was picked up by the ringside mic trolling Muhammad with "You ain't gonna win a round!" And he didn't, actually.

9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004

It is, but in retrospect, in what was going on between him and Don King, it's not a true shock. He shouldn't have lost to Buster Douglass either, but, the King issue.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  10. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Anthony Hembrick. You'd have thought after missing the bus at the Olympics he'd have kept his head down but no. It was such a crap dance with his second wearing those hot pants - camp as tents. It reminded me of the horrible celebration dance two English football players - Ryan Giggs and Paul Ince for those of you who know English football - used to do after a goal. Incidentally, Ince's agent was Ambrose Mendy, Nigel Benn's manager.

Anyway, back to Hembrick. That dance would have been embarrassing if he had won. That he slipped on his arse before the fight even started then got knocked out inside a round was comedy gold. The poster boy for being a complete tit.

I once saw a vid of a guy who entered the ring in a pair of pants and trainers who did a Grimsley. Charged over the ring, ran into a punch and got counted out, all inside 11 seconds. Not sure if he was a pro or not.

But even he is not as big a plonker as Hembrick.

mark ant, young griffo and scartissue like this.
  11. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Surprised no one has said Broner vs Maidana. Broner was supposed to be the next superstar, was the favorite to win, and many expected him to easily beat Maidana. Broner talked all sorts of crap to him including how he was going to make Maidana speak english after the fight. Not only did he get his first professional loss he got thrashed, dropped to the canvas twice, did the stanky leg, dry humped, and had Maidana "brush" Broner's hair after the fight. If that wasn't enough he got booed out of the arena and had drinks thrown at him. Maidana really took Broner's manhood that night and Broner was never the same fighter after that.

12. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I'd give this fight its own separate thread of "Most Satisfying Losses"

I enjoyed watching Broner get exposed and humiliated in this fight like very few fights I've watched before. The only fights that really compare for me in this regard are Barrera-Hamed (I didn't hate Naz but the hype surrounding him particularly in Britain where I was living at the time was too much) and De La Hoya- Mayorga (Mayorga is a punk and an arsehole and seeing him thrashed like that was bliss).

oldcanvasback likes this.
  13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Honeyghan was quick and McGuigan was the favourite v Taylor.

14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    The so-called unbeatable Tyson being knocked out by Douglas who was a 42-1 undderdog.

15. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Hatton against Pacquiao. Hatton has admitted that the embarrassment of that loss was the trigger for him spiralling in to a depressive cycle from which he didn't recover until quite recently.

It wasn't just the brutal nature of the hammering he got. It was all the talk beforehand. Mayweather Sr bleating on about how he was going to expose 'Freddie the Joke Coach Cockroach!' and Hatton telling everyone that he was a changed man who was no longer going to be easy to catch and rush in wide open. That plan, if it ever existed, went straight out the window. Plus, that dreadful video which emerged just before the fight where Hatton was watching tapes of Pacquiao and saying something along the lines of, "Look, right hook, roll under. Right hook, roll under. Every time, that's his only move! Right hook, roll under".....Cue Hatton getting decked by a right hook as Pacquiao rolled under his own wild shot about 90 seconds in to the fight.

Fair to say Hatton and Mayweather Sr's words came back to bite them, there.