Most likely To Defeat Prime Holmes? Foreman Or Frazier?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Apr 1, 2020.

Which guy could beat Prime Holmes?

1. Frazier is most likely

64.3%
  2. Foreman is most likely

10.7%
  3. Either man could have beaten him

17.9%
  4. Neither man could do it.

7.1%
  1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Iyo, who stands more the chance of beating Larry Holmes at his finest -
    Joe Frazier or George Foreman?
    Smokin Joe, who whipped Ali in FOTC?
    Or Big George, who ripped the title from the above in 2?
    Or, could neither man beat him??

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd pick Holmes over Foreman
    I'd pick Frazier over Holmes.

3. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    I pick foreman and frazier to beat holmes

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    This for me

5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    If Jimmy Young could knock down and decision Foreman, then Holmes (a better puncher and easily as good a boxer) would stop him in 11 at the latest. Larry would indubitably get knocked down in the middle rounds (when he usually took a break). But come roaring back (as he always did in his prime), and be back in control within a round of the knockdown. George would get floored by the right hand in the 10th or 11th, then dazedly get back up to have Larry unleash his usual avalanche-of-rights until the ref stopped it.

So, Holmes over Foreman. Foreman didn't do good against boxers. Now, Frazier...different story.

The FOTC Frazier would take horrible punishment and get knocked down by Holmes' uppercut. He'd get lambasted by the jab. But Joe was simply too relentless. He didn't have the kind of right hand that could floor or stop Larry, but his determined aggression and power inside would win him a unanimous decision in probably an even more entertaining fight than even Holmes-Norton.

In other words, as great as the actual FOTC was, Frazier-Holmes might have equaled it.

6. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Couldn't agree more. A Raging Joe Frazier gets a decision over Holmes I'd definitely say. I've got Holmes actually stopping George late, after maybe being dropped himself.

7. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson “U should have been banned for life”-some fangirl banned Full Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I think George knocks out Holmes not sure Frazier could beat him though

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Larry would definitely take a few thundering shots from George. But he was a master boxer...I'm thinking of his artful domination of prime Shavers in their first fight during the 70s; the progressively heavier and more vicious jab in 79 (Ocasio's jab knockdown); and his progressively heavier right hand (Evangelista and Shavers II...ouch!).

George had big problems with good-to-great boxers (Larry was indubitably great), and with an accurate right hand (Larry's wasn't quite as pinpoint as Young or Ali's but not far from, and overall probably a bit heavier or just as powerful as a sitting-into-it Ali's).

George looked bad in that last round against Young, knocked down and oafing like half-drunk stumble-bum. Larry would have already stopped him by then imo.

Btw this is coming from a HUGE fan of Larry, George, and Ali. They are my favorites, by far.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Joe beat an under-30 Ali. Larry at 29 was unquestionably in his prime, so I don't think he'd get rocked as hard, and I certainly don't think he'd get knocked down. But Joe would be all over him, and would take the punishment.

Unlike FOTC, Joe would get knocked silly by Larry's Bowe-level uppercut. But he'd come back, slapping his gloves together, and get right back on him.

The decision for Joe would be tougher than FOTC, closer. But Joe wins unanimously.

10. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Same here, love that eras heavyweight s. But yes, George would struggle with Holmes Jab, it would be the key to winning the fight imo.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Frazier is more likely to beat him for stylistic reasons.

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Larry might catch two L's.

13. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    YES YOUNG Jedi. Me too.

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    @George Crowcroft said it most succinctly.

15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    TBH, I'd favor both of them over Holmes. Holmes is also my 5th favorite boxer!