Most overlooked monster punchers at heavyweight ..

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Sep 15, 2020.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    And I think he's over rated .. who did he ever KO w one shot ? A good hitter with the right but how do you compare him to Weaver ? Weaver flatten Coetzee with a right , Tate with a left hook, badly hurt Holmes numerous times in their first bout , flattened Carl Williams with a beauty .. Weaver was a monster puncher .. I see Coetzee much more like a Max Schmeling type hitter ..

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Bob Satterfield
    Bob Satterfield
    Bob Satterfield
    And Curtis Sheppard

3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Coetzee was a flurry fighter in my opinion. Only in the sense that he would stun s guy with one punch then finish him with a flurry of blows.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    For me HG Coetzee is nothing like a Schmeling type. His right hand was dynamite. There wouldn't be much between Weaver and Coetzee's best punches. Weaver as you say punches hard with both hands where as Coetzee is really just a right hand man. Weaver himself bracketed Coetzee on a second tier with a couple of others behind Mercado. He said Coetzee hit hard.

Remember Dokes went a full 15 with a peak Weaver and absorbed a hella lotta leather without going down. There was a sustained body attack in that too. 4 months later Coetzee sparked him in 10, poleaxed him. I'll grant Dokes had by most accounts been living the high life but it's certainly a worthy mention. He knocked Snipes down twice and had him running all night. Caldwell, who fought a who's who of punchers said Coetzee was a great puncher. I believe he was the only one to ever actually KO LeDoux. He put paid to Stan Ward in just two rounds and a year later he lasted 9 with Weaver. Obviously his stoppage of Spinks showcased his power as well as anything. His right hand was just ugly in that fight and one can see it's terrific power on full display.

His (right hand) power was well documented for a reason.

Curtis Lowe likes this.
  5. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Dokes was coked out of his mind and took a dozen shots in the last three rounds before he collapsed .. who else did he KO , the novice Spinks ? Not Tate who did not have a strong chin nor Weaver who didn't either .. here's the answer, no one. He never hurt Thomas, Page. I like the guy and he was a decent fighter but his power is very overrated ...

Roughhouse and William Walker like this.
  6. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    His right hand was documented more for how many times he broke it excusing why he did win by KO .. here's Foreman icing Ledoux way before Gerrie TKO'd him ..

This content is protected

7. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Schmeling - he gets mention as a great heavy here and again but I don’t think he gets the respect of the phenomenal puncher he was.

He stopped Prime Louis
    He stopped Young Stribling (only man to do so in over 230 fights)
    Stopped Johnny Risko
    Stopped Mickey Walker
    Stopped Steve Hamas

70sFan865 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  8. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    It's great to hear someone giving Max the respect he deserves! :)

CharlieFirpo85 likes this.
  9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Duran deserves a mention

10. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    He's from my hometown and his niece was nearly killed in a car crash 2 years back.

11. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Bruno, Bonecrusher Smith, Mike Dejohn (Chuvalo of all people rated a shot version of him the hardest puncher he ever faced up their with a young Foreman), Tommy Morrison, Bob Satterfield.

12. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    He did stop young Louis but it took dozens of shots over many rounds in what was a surgical clinic ..

Stribling was a light heavyweight.

Walker was a middleweight

Risko and Hamas were good 190 pound men .. not sure about Risko but he hammered Hamas over many rounds, another surgical clinic ..

Max was a very good puncher, not a phenomenal puncher in my opinion .. I say he hit maybe as good as a Ken Norton .. more than good enough to hurt you and earn respect but very few blow outs ..

13. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I feel like when you get older though everyone hits harder lol

14. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    - Jeff Sims
    - Jeff Merritt
    - Bernardo Mercado

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  15. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Courage Tshabala could crack, he wasnt a contender or world beater or super skilled, but he could hit.