Most overrated aspects of a heavyweight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, May 21, 2019.

1. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    "...cruisers like Marciano aren't allowed to fight modern day heavyweights. "
    That clause does not in any way directly support the conclusion you seem (as I interpret you) to think it does. I've never seen you before, so I'll put to you a question to which I've yet to receive anything faintly resembling a clear answer, let alone what I would consider a good answer:

In the three or four years leading up to the creation of the cruiserweight division -right around the time, not incidentally, that the Spinks brothers were at their peak- what actual fights that took place would you have used to make a contemporaneous case that weight mismatches were becoming too common and that the proposed cruiserweight division was needed or even in any way helpful?

2. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I think Bowe is like Tyson that way: We'll never really know how good they were (or weren't) and can only make educated guesses.
    (That's true of almost all fighters of course, but it's exceptionally true of them.)

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Marciano's intangibles , his heart and will to win ... of course he had it but so did many others like Frazier, Ali, Holmes, Holyfield and many , many others ..
    How can we say that about Tyson ? He won the title and dominated the division for three years . He defended the title many times .. he was no one fight wonder ? He defeated eight world title holders. His prime was only a few years but it was a hell of a prime.

4. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Marciano's power is surely overrated. Not by his fans, but his worshipers. According to them, size means zilch. He punches harder than Foreman, Tyson, Louis, Frazier and now of course Wilder. No objectivity when it comes to the Rock.

5. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I can't think of seeing anyone say Rocky hit harder than Foreman.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    That's a headscratcher.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  8. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Lennox had dynamite in that right hand

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  9. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    Yeah, but he might be still better. For instance he might have have blown away Holyfield and Lewis if they'd all met prime for prime, or he might just have gotten schooled by a narrower margin than in their actual fights.
    We'll never know.

I have my own opinion, but I don't see how anyone can say either way with more than about 70% confidence at most, which isn't very satisfying to me.

10. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I guess you if you think Lewis power is overrated then it’s easy to see why you think Vitali’s chin is overrated and vice versa. I disagree with both personally

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  11. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    eh, Lewis landed like 3 clean punches to Vitali

12. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Ali and Holmes didnt quite have the same will to win and heart as Marciano IMO. Ironic that you named like the other top 6 in terms of heavyweight heart.

Does Jack Sharkey have as much heart as Marciano? How about Chris Arreola?

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    This is total compostable horsesh*t.

Marciano never went to death's door with a fighter like Joe Frazier. Ali did and made Frazier's corner quit.

Marciano never got decked by puncher of Ernie Shaver's power and came back to KO him.

Go sell your p*ss poor argument to the fools down the road.

14. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Let's see here

Marciano got decked, for the first time in his career, in the very first round rather than halfway through against a fighter with poor stamina. Still got up to win. Holmes was a **** poor loser as well.

Ali was begging his corner to stop the fight against Frazier in Manilla, Frazier, on the other hand, was begging his corner to NOT stop it. Despite both of these, Ali was clearly ahead on the scorecards.

Marciano had his nose cut in half, was decked, blinded, started late, was doubted from the get go by trainers and friends, and pretty much every damn thing to make a fighter unsure of themselves happened to Marciano

But guess what?

Marciano kept going forward.

The Malibu Mauler likes this.
  15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    That is an astonishing statement. I can say that I have never heard anyone rate the hearts and will to win of Ali or Holmes less than top of the top. And you base this strong opinion on what exactly ?

Last edited: May 23, 2019