Most overrated aspects of a heavyweight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, May 21, 2019.

1. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    "...such fights are meaningless and by default, non-credible..."

More meaningless than a hypothetical fight between dead men who lived decades apart? Because those are discussed all the time.

"...unless you can justify with CONCLSUIVE proof and evidence that weight divisions are truly needed."

All I asked for was any evidence whatsoever, and received none. Can you give me "CONCLUSIVE proof" that you exist?

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Ali and Holmes SHOULDNT have fought as long they did. And Marciano was often the underdog before he became champ. I don’t think there is any denying Ali Marciano Frazier had tons of heart and if there was a scale all would be equal in that department

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    If you're basing it on the fact that their styles required more risk to achieve reward as swarmers opposed to boxers and absorbed more punishment and kept coming it is a point to consider , especially since you did clarify your positions on Ali an Holmes but then did Frazier have more than Marciano as he fought bigger, better men half blind and absorbed more punishment without quitting ?

4. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Discussions in regards to such fights are meaningless as of now. We go by modern standards, not by ancient ones. That Marciano was a 'heavyweight' before is irrelevant now by modern standards, due to the updated definition and standard for what constitutes a 'heavyweight' today.

Not only that, but we also need to see examples of such horribly crude, sloppy and outdated styles from those of Marciano's to dominate. So it's not just their size, but also their style.

If a cruiser moves up and fights using a totally different slick style, combined with athleticism, dynamism and power, and dominates, then it still wouldn't qualify an ancient 'heavyweight' like Marciano of being worthy to be a top heavyweight TODAY.

The topic has nothing to do with my existence. I exist and don't existence simultaneously as a transcendental entity. Are you satisfied now?

I asked for evidence too, and received none.

But yes, there is evidence. Since the Lewis era, every number 1 dominant heavyweight (who dominated for multiple years) has been a super heavyweight in size. So until small heavyweights, the size of Marciano can return and dominate heavyweight at the very top for extended years, then it stands to reason, they are disqualified from being worthy to be discussed in potential match ups against modern heavies. It's really that simple!

Pat M likes this.
  5. MURK20

MURK20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    All of the big men that you mentioned, I'd probably favor Marciano over. But I not just referring to heavyweights, I'm talking about strong punching elite heavyweights. He's not beating those types. Even Frazier. Foster iced almost every light heavyweight he faced but was mauled by Frazier. Has Marciano faced anyone as strong and relentless?

6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    But you shouldn't need to, my friend. The evidence is immortalized in videos. For a quick shot, doubters can check out the FOTC and Holmes-Shavers II. Among manifold others.

7. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Have you ever watched the 210 pound Wilder fight? He’s no SHW and he’s killing everyone Lol talk about sloppy and we saw a glimpse of a 189 pound Roy Jones jr whooping the 224 pound John Ruiz. Different styles but the facts remain smaller men can compete and win. How did little LHW Chris Byrd beat the SHW Vitali? Or cruiser weight Holyfield beat many men many pounds heavier? Or tiny 5”10 Tyson how did he reach those giants? These big guys gas after six they’d be fodder for the likes of Louis and Marciano and Frazier and Ali. They really don’t belong in the same sentence. Although I’ll give Fury credit he’s nimble and skilled for a fat guy.

8. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015

7 miles a day, seven day a week must one of hardest training routine..

He must have enough rest & nutrition Or he body will CollaPs LOL

9. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Seamus: "A little sparring"

Marciano was well known to put in over a 100 rounds of sparring before a fight but ok

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    This content is protected

"All in all Rocky boxed 109 rounds in training"

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  11. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    The comparability of that for Rocky fighting HWs is orders of magnitudes beside logic, its not even funny.

210 Wilder? Like 178 Marciano, and still 34 pounds apart in reality, for a guy who can come trimmed to **** at 225lb ?
    The once in a millennium performance of the nimble jedi-like reflexes mother****er catching Ruiz flat footed?
    The "small" 211lb, and again 30lb heavier Chris Byrd who fought from a 5'10" Rocky crouch to beat these modern fellows? The benchmark via torn rotator cuff.
    The "tiny" 220lb trimmed tank squat Tyson, who might have done the 175lb limit as well?

And again I have to proclaim that this is indeed an evolution of virally propagated worship.
    I´ll remind you, we´re at "Most overrated aspects of Heavyweights." debating among their analogous standard.

"As long as YOU viral Rocky Marciano fairytales around the web, this disease won´t stop!

Stop heroize Rocky in comic storys, use your common sense and stay honest! Believer and gullibles might believe what you type.

Accept responsibility. Give ROCKISTA BRAIN VIRUS no chance! Thanks."

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    That's a slow week for James Toney.

And if you do the math, racking up 100 rounds in a three month training camp isn't exactly arduous.

13. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Because James Toney used to ONLY spar for training, especially later in his career

Moot point. It's much more than what most fighters do

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Is it really? Stretched over 3 or more months. I seem to recall reading Walcott clocked over 100 rounds for their first engagement.

15. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    I never claimed no small heavyweight can EVER beat a big heavyweight. So that point is moot! However, my point is, the bigger the heavyweight gets (combined with quality), the lower the chances for the smaller guy to win, provided most other things are relatively equal.

There are middleweights who can beat light heavyweights and welterweights who can beat middleweights. Does that mean we should therefore remove those weight divisions, since smaller guys can win? Of course not!

Exceptions and anomalies aren't the norm!

Yes, the heavyweight division is relatively weak right now. However, it is bound to get better as the prospects go up the ranks. Then we'll see how many 'SMALL' heavyweights will 'DOMINATE'.

Povetkin may as well be the last small aggressive power punching heavyweight we'll ever see anywhere near the top.

Oleksandr Usyk may be another anomaly due to his special talent. But that doesn't mean any and every small guy their size will come up and be able to do the same. And even then, I don't rate Usyk's chances that highly against Fury.