Most overrated recent British boxer.....Hatton or Haye?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, May 7, 2018.

who was more overrated?

1. Ricky hatton

25.0%
  2. David Haye

75.0%
  1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I honestly can't decide....:)

2. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Didn’t have you down as a drama queen len!

3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    It's a slow news day here in the banana republic and I had a moment of weakness Scissors. What can I say? :) you can only keep up the sensible stuff for so long...:) please forgive me

Anyway both were seeeeriously overrated IMO. Since you are one of the better posters on here ( and in saying that I'm not joking at all), I welcome your opinion on the matter...

4. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Some people thought Hatton had a chance against two of the best pound for pound fighters of all time, so I'll go with him :ciappa:

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Haye.

People here were actually believing he'd be the "saviour of the heavyweight division" (because he said so) back around 2008 to 2010. They envisioned a Haye era to replace the Klitschkos.
    Even as recently as a few months ago people were insisting he could get fit and Ko "Wilder, Joshua, Fury and Parker".
    Most people here were telling me Joseph Parker would be an easy KO win for David Haye a couple of years ago.

Robney and Sephiroth Rising 7 like this.
  6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Neither.

Both beat the lineal champions in their weight divisions in their first world title shots, Haye then won a HW title and Hatton a Welter title.

7. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Was going to say the same thing.

zulander and CutThroatFade like this.
  8. rhys18

rhys18 New Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2016
    I remember watching Pac v Hatton in our local pub, it stayed open for it.
    Before the fight I was telling everyone I feared Hatton was about to get completely poleaxed as Pac was at the top of his game and levels above Hatton.
    The **** taking I took was unbelievable. These casuals just jumping on the Hatton hype train. Just like the Joshua casuals now.
    Soon got proven right though when Pac nearly killed him.

305th likes this.
  9. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I say neither. Think the bigger problem is any fighter the casuals jump on the bandwagon of...you then get a boxing anorak on telling us their overrated. The truth probably is...if they didn't have that big following...the anoraks would be saying their great fighters.

Just the way its always been. Both great fighters and both shared one important thing in a boxing ring...they had entertaining styles. They actually deserved that casual following. Hatton worked guys over well and proper coming through and haye pinged guys usually early. They we,re both great and looked good doing it. I think that it took mayweather and klitchko to stop the trains....two pretty much legends...shows how good they actually we,re.

Potwash, Accurate and nurological like this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Definitely Haye.
    Look at his record. There's hardly anything there.
    Mormeck ? ... Enzo Macc ? ...... Chisora at heavyweight ...... and people are still suggesting he was a "legend" !

Cally, 305th, Cecil and 3 others like this.
  11. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Haye and it isn't even up for debate.

The guy frauded his way to the top

His career at HW has been smoke and mirrors.

Up there with Amir Khan as one of the most arrogant and deluded British fighters who were more concerned with climbing the celebrity ladder than being great boxers.

Unforgiven, Cally and jonny v like this.
  12. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    david haye....

hatton lost to ATGS, Best of the generation!

13. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    people on this brit forum tried to say he was one of the greatest brit fighter of all time.

14. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I’d have to echo @Gatekeeper response to be honest. Hatton only lost to two of the best of all time! Then that poor excuse of a comeback. I’d have to say he was a sort of catalyst for reviving British boxing too. Hayes career isn’t too dissimilar. He’s a multi weight world champion and apart from an anamoly against Thompson he only lost to one of the best ever before his poor excuse of a comeback!

You look at both and think they had good careers. Not completely outstanding, not 2 of the greatest ever but 2 very solid careers.

Twentyman and Potwash like this.
  15. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I cant vote you left out Adrey Harrison

phil rowe likes this.