Most Relaxed Elite Operators

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, May 23, 2020.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Some good names mentioned already I would add Yoko Gushiken to the list.

2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Esubio Pedroza, Chavez Sr.

3. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Mustafa Muhammad, Kev Finnegan, Medel, Starling etc. All the other talented but lazy f#ckers who calmly thrived on inviting punches and punishing people on the counter.

The guys with terrific late rounds acceleration and stamina often have very slow beating hearts, able to return to something like their resting rates in between rounds, which requires tremendous relaxation of both body and mind. Sanchez as mentioned, but men like Saldivar, Marcel, Arguello, Pedroza, Buchanan, Ohba etc.

Griffith was great at accurately pacing himself and easily maintaining his technique and offensive timing over 15 and under pressure, another sign of a relaxed body and mind. Monzon and Ortiz also great at this.

Khaokor Galaxy was very unflappable and relaxed, Khaosai too in his own steady and methodically aggressive way. Sahaprom was a great mention by George and Payakaroon by rough. The Thais in general it seems. Kingpetch, Borkhorsor, recently Sor Rungvisai.

Gerry Penalosa was like a Buddhist monk with a Zen-like approach and stoic expression. I remember the mighty john Garfield, God bless him, being in awe of Penalosa in sparring, so he said.

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  5. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Riddick Bowe deserves a mention. For a fighter with questionable conditioning, Bowe set a quick pace and never seemed to be struggling for energy late on. Impressive when he was usually carrying a fair few extra pounds.

Anyone mention Mike McCallum? Far more relaxed in the ring than out of it by all accounts.

6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Read about him and seen him mentioned before, not very knowledgeable though, so I decided to look him up a bit after seeing this. Damn, this guy must've been born in a Boxing ring! Just totally unflappable and smooth, and a super skilled southpaw to boot. I'm gonna enjoy myself watching his bouts.

Mind recounting those sparring stories if you can, Tin? I have always been fascinated with relaxed, creative fighter types and their working processes, as it were.

7. BELLERS

BELLERS Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Hagler initially came to mind.
    Chris Eubank sr
    Donald Curry ( at his unbeaten best )
    Ali
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    GGG

8. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/tell-me-about-gerry-penalosa.299635/#post-9254120

Have a look at that thread about Penalosa mate, there's a bit of chat between john and I on it. Addie was a good poster too, very articulate. It's the only thread I can find with anything on it relevant. The rest of the talks I had with john about Gerry were private messages iirc. Said he used to go to the Wildcard just to watch Penalosa spar and that he used to make bigger fighters look pedestrian. It's a shame Penalosa was so one-paced, overly methodical and slow on the front foot even at super fly. Should have been a big distance between him and the likes of Cho and Tokuyama who he dropped controversial decisions to. Lovely fighter to watch but extremely frustrating.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Bruce Curry wasn't the most calm or the most elite but it was the deciding factor imo when he warred with Brooks.

11. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Benton is a great call, Robert.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanku TR

Tin_Ribs likes this.
  13. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Sam Langford in footage we have looks like he was always under control and never overcommited with his attacks. Cool and collected master.

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I'll throw Simon Brown into the discussion. Totally composed, almost placid.

(and please, no "he looked really relaxed against Pettway" jokes. OK, I just wanted to beat everyone to the punch on that one.)

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Carlos Monzon,was ice cold and had total composure during a fight.