Muhammad Ali 1974 v Mike Tyson 1988

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stevie G, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Nah, dont see it, great fight tho, good style clash.

2. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    An Ali upset is far more likely than most would expect based on this thread I think. His ring savvy, strong will and mind games along with the speed he still had would give Tyson more than enough trouble. Whether he rope a dopes isn't relevant. I imagine him being in the best shape he would have to be knowing how big a threat Tyson would be. He danced nearly 12 rounds against Frazier in 74. He looked good there. I think he can win a decision if he has to. His ring generalship and ability to absorb punishment is a big key and possibly discouraging. I favor him to have more in the last 3 years since he has more experience with the championship rounds. I wouldn't be surprised by an Ali decision.

I picked Tyson but an upset is in no way that unlikely.

3. Fighting Weight

Fighting Weight Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Depends where the fight takes place for me....if it's Zaire I suspect Ali would do the same to Tyson as he did to George, sucker him and tire him out - but had it been Madison Square Garden or Vegas then I'd pick Tyson by UD.

Having said that if Foreman had fought Ali in America at that time I suspect he'd have been the only man to ever stop Ali. Foreman is criminally under-rated, at that time he was a far more terrifying prospect than prime Tyson in my opinion.

I still believe a 1967 Ali beats every HW that ever lived though, for what it's worth.

4. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    1974 iwould say tsyson tko in 7..................but if ali fought like he did in bugner #1 and ali/norton 2.........or ali frazier 2...........i say ali wins.......but the version in 74...i think would get tko inside 7 rds........foreman got tired........tyson of 87 or even 88 wouldnt get tired....of a rope a dope ali.............a moving ali is much more effective against a tyson

5. Cheese

Cheese Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I think Ali would probably win. But a 20 year old Mike Tyson vs. and 20 year old Cassius Clay I think Mike would win. If Henry Cooper could knock Ali out then, then Iron Mike definitely could. Mike's fast and hard combination punches would finish Ali back then.

6. josak

josak Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Tyson TKO. Tyson is too fast, too strong. His left hook would find Ali's chin constantly. Ali's punches, especially the jab, would catch air while Tyson counters him all day. Tyson stylistically is Ali's worst nightmare - he's Frazier x 10,000.

7. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    Tyson UD12.

Ali wasn't clearly DONE in 74, but it was almost near the end.

8. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    :rofl:rofl:rofl Is this guy serious?

9. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Ali by decision or late round tko. Ali of 1974 still had plenty left and even though he got hit more than he used to he was still elusive, not a punching bag by any means. He was also a master of mind games and tyson would be susceptible to this, getting fustrated when things didn't completely go his way.

Tyson would be facing someone whose hand speed equaled or surpassed his own and had a lot of tricks up his sleeves. Tyson would nail ali clean a few times but ali had a great chin and ability to recover. Ali was also deceptively strong physically and would handle tyson in the clinches. After 7 or 8 rounds tyson would get desperate and start trying to end the fight with one punch. This would be a mistake against ali, who would land more and more.

10. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Tough fight to call for me, even if Ali was somewhat faded here.

While Tyson back at his peak was some kind of fighter and had bags of confidence, I think he was still emotionally vulnerable even then, but there was nobody good enough to find and exploit those cracks.
    Could Ali?
    I'd say he of all people, is the most likely. That hardly means Tyson would be a quivering wreck, but Ali may (may) be able to sow a few seeds of doubt, pre-fight.

But to discourage or frustrate Tyson, Ali would need to back up the mind games with solid work in the ring. Mere words won't be enough...just out of interest I wonder how the very thought of facing Ali would make Tyson feel.
    Would he be a bit star-struck (Tyson was a keen historian and loved Ali) or would he see this as his time to shine? It's an interesting question I think, and it could influence the outcome of the fight.

The fight would be a great one. I'm going against the conventional wisdom a bit here, but for me Ali would win the first two rounds or so by using great lateral movement which would not allow Tyson to get set. Tyson would be patient and land some meaty hooks downstairs but Ali's jab would be more eye-catching and win him the rounds.

Ali would start to slow down a little from then on, and Tyson would establish his range and score heavily with big combo's, but Ali had that immense chin and great survival instincts and would take the punches well, although I can see him hanging on a few times to clear his head. There is a good possibility he hits the deck, if Tyson lands right, as he did against Holmes or Tubbs. I'd bet Ali to get up quite quickly though, and most likely would do enough to survive the round...if barely.

Where Ali falls short a bit for me is that he would not work inside as James Tillis did. People may laugh in me comparing Tillis to Ali, but James fought a very effective fight and not only worked hard on the outside, but also the inside. Tyson did little on the inside in that fight and it allowed Tillis to do some good work.

Ali would do as little as Tyson, or even less, on the inside and would also not work Tyson's body much if at all. So basically the fight boils down to Ali's jab and ring smarts versus Tyson's ability to avoid punches and countering ability.

For me, this fight doesn't become a battle of attrition the way the Ali v Frazier fights were. Neither Ali nor Tyson would do a whole lot inside, and we'd see short flurries of punches interrupted by long periods of clinching, especially the longer the fight goes.

Personally I like the younger, stronger guy in this type of situation, but it really depends on so many factors.

If you put a gun to my head my vote goes to Tyson by close, maybe split, decision.

11. Bill Butcher

Sep 3, 2007
    Im guessing mythical fights are on the assumption that both fought in the same era at the same time which makes the part I highlighted void.

:good

12. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Very good point. However,in this alternate reality,Tyson at 22 would be ten years younger than Ali,so he could still have grown up as a fan. Just not with as many years seperating them as in the real world. I can't see that factor influencing Tyson. He grew up a Larry Holmes fan,but it did n't deflect him from the job at hand. I still say Ali by tko before round 13 !

13. Bill Butcher

Sep 3, 2007
    Good point about the age gap, never thought of that when typing... but even still, legend grows with age, Ali is held in higher regard now than in 74.
    I agree about Tyson not being starstruck tho, the Holmes fight proved that IMO.

I dont see either guy TKOing the other TBH, I see a razor thin decision either way, both guys were 2 of the most skilled ever with granite chins... but you do never know with these 2, very unpredictable men, both of them.

Ps. I think its only fair to do a 12 rder unless both guys have proven to go 15 before, we KNOW both can handle 12 in their primes, I dont doubt a peak Tyson could last 15 but probably best to stay with 12 since it gives us more facts to judge by.

:thumbsup

14. junior-soprano

junior-soprano Active Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2009
    he always was mental weak. only we didn't know by then. the level of his opponents in the 80ties wasn't that high for example. but everytime mike fought a tough high level opponent who didn't was afraid of tyson and whom he couldn't knock down he lost (holyfield and lewis for example).
    another example for mental weak : tyson always refused to fight foreman. cause dundee told him once that a fighter like foreman was wrong for a type fighter that mike was. that is mental weak. when you are in you're prime and when you are the champ you should take on everyone
    (at least in my humble opinion)

15. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    That whole post was basically one big cliche'.