Muhammad Ali V Jimmy Young

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Stevie G, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Muhammad Ali did more than his share of clinching and didn't make anyone forget Joe Frazier in terms of aggressiveness and throwing a lot of punches in his bouts.

- Chuck Johnston

2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Ali lost this fight plain and simple. This was a total gift. Young had an ugly style and his strategy of sticking head through rope was met with criticism doesn't change the fact he countered and out boxed a fat sloppy Ali all night.

3. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I remember that the late Jim Healy, a sports broadcaster based in Los Angeles, referred to Jimmy Young as "an agony fighter" because it was agony to watch him fight. But I will say that I would rather have watched Young in action than John Ruiz any day of the year.

- Chuck Johnston

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    One of the worst decisions of all time. Ali won the bout based on who he was rather than anything he did.

5. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Why do people constantly say that Young deserved the W versus Shavers, when absolutely no one has seen that fight? They go by some old newspaper clipping that implied Young deserved the decision, but no one that I've encountered on this site has actually seen the fight.

6. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    :thumbsup

7. The Long Count

Oct 8, 2013
    Ali did not land the more meaningful punches that is hogwash. Young's punches land far more crisply and accurately than Ali's shots in that fight watch it again. Ali's punches in that fight were the sloppiest of his career and he landed next to nothing. Horrible showing by Ali and even scoring the fight where every debatable round goes to him he still loses by 2 rounds.

8. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Young could claim for a brief moment that he was the best fighter in the world. Arguably. (He had the edge in the Ali fight, beat Foreman, and the Norton fight was debatable either way).

This is a testament to the later 70s division getting pretty rotten, and Ali's lack of preparation, but there it is.

9. Claus Holmen

Claus Holmen Active Member Full Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I´m a fan of Ali. Saw the fight on TV and had the Ali winning. Saw it Again the other day, still got Ali as the Winner. Young was running away from Ali. No doubt he could have won the fight. But hee simply did not do enough to win enough rounds.

10. The Long Count

Oct 8, 2013
    Well at least you admit your a fan of Ali. I think a lot of fans of his put blinders on when watching this fight. I just re-watched it, I had rounds 1,2,3,8,9,10,11,14, for Young and rounds 4,5,6,7,12,13,. With round 15 extremely close Young finished the round with by far the best action of the round and could easily go to him as well. Most likely an even round which I didn't want to score. Round 3 could of been close to even as well. Jimmy worked the body great. Ali did a ton of holding and push downs and was never warned. Young put his head through ropes beginning it 12 th round and was ruled a knockdown. He did it twice in 13th as well. There was an isolated incident in an early round where he quasi did it but not fully. Young didn't go for fight as much as he should have but he countered well enough and made Ali miss so much the fight was his. Don King felt otherwise though.

11. Baclava

Baclava Active Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I scored this fight recently:

Round 1:
    This content is protected

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4:

Round 5:

Round 6:

Round 7:

Round 8:

Round 9:

Round 10:

Round 11:

Round 12:

Round 13:

Round 14:

Round 15:

So I scored it 8 rounds to 5 for Young with 2 rounds even.
    Ali did not win that fight no matter how you look at it. Some close rounds but overall Ali landed maybe 20 clean punches the whole fight.

12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Jimmy Young should been disqualified in the Ali fight.
    He virtually tried to climb out of the ring when Ali put the pressure on, not just once, he pulled that stunt at least four times and probably more.
    I guess that's what some people consider "defensive genius". Disgraceful. Inexcusable. Young didn't deserve a rematch.
    Ali was quite disgraceful coming in so out of shape.

But as bad as the fight is, it's one of those bad fights I find curiously entertaining when in a certain mood.
    It lacks artistic merit in a boxing sense but is an interesting little sideshow piece. A bit like Ali-Inoki.

13. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    r u serious? he never tried to climb out of the ring u ali nut hugger! If ali used that move, u would have been claiming what a great move that was! Him sticking his head out of the ring takes nothing away from the great defencive boxer Jimmy Young was. He did a fine job in that fight, did what he had to do and win, and then was robbed! Stick to pro wrestling!

14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He deliberately stuck his entire upper body out of the ring, on numerous occasions. That's effectively leaving the ring to avoid being hit.
    How can you defend that ?
    It is cheating and it is cowardice.

No, not an "Ali nut hugger". As I said Ali was in disgraceful condition in the fight. It was a dreadful performance by both men.

15. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I thought it was kind of funny when he did it, he wasn't in any trouble when he did it, Jimmy always did funny things in the ring, making faces, suddenly turning and taking a walk, stuff like that. But he surely did more than enough to win that fight.

Hookandjab likes this.