Muhammad Ali vs. Danny McAlinden

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Il Duce, Dec 12, 2010.

1. abraq

abraq Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Hey Duce, check your own posts. Your earlier post I quoted described the fighting style of Larry Midleton and naturally my question was about Ali having problems against the same boxer.

Yet, in your reply you ask me whether I think that you think that Ali would have any problems with Danny McAlinden.

Yes, Rudi Lubbers "went" 12 rounds with the 'Great Ali'.

But then, guys like Foreman, Bonavena and Lyle didn't make it till the end with the 'powder puff punching Ali'. Dare I put the name Frazier in the same category?

I am not a betting man, Duce. But considering Ali's occasional penchant for carrying a less fancied and outclassed opponent all the way and if someone offered me 300-1, I just might have taken the bet.

You are right about one thing, though. No one knows until you get into the ring.

So who knows, Dan McAlinden just might have knocked out Muhammad Ali had they gotten into the ring together.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    It would have been a total mismatch.

3. Il Duce

Il Duce Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 18, 2010
    abraq,,,,
    Mi' dolente',,,I'm sorry,, I misunderstood

Are you asking if Ali would have had problems with Larry Middleton, or a
    Middleton-type style?

In a war of words, I think George Middleton and Danny Mac could hold their own with
    Ali, as they definitely got under his skin, and made him lose his composure.

They got just what they wanted, a little 'face time', they used Ali perfectly.

4. abraq

abraq Active Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Duce, there is no need to say sorry. We all make these mistakes. Anyway, it's nice of you to say so.

No, I am not asking about Ali and Middleton. I know what the result would have been had they actually met.

By the way, I don't think it is a good idea to get under the skin of Muhammad Ali. Ernie Terrell and Oscar Bonavena did so, and look what happened to them.

5. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    I think the Ali-McAlinden fight would look like a Junior version of
    Ali-Quarry II.

It would have been a little brawl for a couple of Rounds.
    But on St. Patricks Day,,,,,,,,Ali would have rolled Danny Mac a Lucky '7'

6. mister

mister Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2010
    the list of tomato cans keeps getting bigger add lubbers to the list:think

7. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    1972 will not be regarded as Heavyweight Boxings Finest Hour.

Joe Frazier defenses;
    January vs. Terry Daniels
    May vs. Ron Stander

Then 7 months of Joe Frazier and the Knock-Outs on their singing/entertainment tour.

Then in 1973, he gave an undeserving Olympic Champion with a built-up record over 'B" and "C" rated
    fighters a Title shot.