Muhammad Ali vs. Frank Bruno

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KOTF, Jul 14, 2012.

1. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Not prime for prime.

We take a declined Ali of the Spinks fights vs. the Bruno of the Tyson I affair.

What happens?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    ****, just voted without reading the opening post. Bruno beats that version of Ali. Any earlier and the stiff one dimensional robot that is Bruno gets soundly outboxed. But that should be obvious.

3. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Bruno melts down whenever he fights anyone with presence.

Even the Ali that lost to Holmes would beat a prime Bruno.

Bruno's lack of skills would not be the issue, as physically he could of easily won. But as was always the case, in the big fights it was a mental battle for the Bomber; and too often it was a battle he had lost before he even stepped in the ring.

4. Ali_

Ali_ Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    You know who wins this.

5. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Even the shot Ali wins against Bruno.

6. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Oh for ****s sake........

Bruno KO2

7. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I misread it first as well. At first glance I thought it said Ali 1974 v Bruno '89. I was already typing up "Ali by easy middle rounds tko"

With the '78 Leon Spinks version,I'd still say Ali,but by messy but clear points verdict. Bruno would take the early rounds,even stunning the ageing Muhammad once or twice.but once Frank slows up,Muhammmad ouitfoxes him,and lands a lot of counters.

8. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I am a massive Ali fan and rate him number one, but say matching Bruno and Ali from the time frame above, i say Bruno wins, Spinks was only a threat in the first fight because Ali permitted him to be, he lacked any firepower, and was in reality a puffed up cruiserweight.

Yes Ali would be the boxing master, but Bruno was a powerful guy, and he gassed yes, but this was against boxers of his age group who had stamina, Ali would be 36 Bruno would be 28.

Ali did not possess the speed of punch or foot at age 36, and he was not a heavy handed puncher, so these threats would not be faced by Bruno.

With Ali losing so many of his boxing assets, planning to beat him would have to focus on a smaller threat package.

Alis verbosity would have little effect on Bruno as Bruno himself liked 'comical' word play, Alis words worked well with the Listons and Foreman type of fighter, Bruno was willing to make fun of himself so Alis attempts would not have much affect.

Never thought i would ever say Bruno beats Ali, but on basis of the time frame of both fighters then it is a Bruno win.

9. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 16, 2004
    I'd say 1993 was Bruno's peak, but anyways: Bruno has just enough to win rounds against Ali (good stiff jab and a good left hook) and 1978 Ali doesn't have what it takes to beat Bruno (workrate or power) so I'm picking Bruno. It's hard to overstate how bad Ali was by 1978. Leon Spinks was fighting sedated with painkillers and fought the last few rounds in agony, and Ali only won the rematch because Spinks had declined drastically due to drugs, moonshine and laziness; Butch Lewis apparentely found Spinks in a shack in the lead up to the rematch high as a kite and killing his insides with drink rather than training. For all his flaws, you have to ridiculously underrate Bruno to think that he was THAT bad!

10. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    I disagree with that. The only time I ever saw Bruno intimidated was before the second Tyson fight. Anyway any version of Ali beats him.

11. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    The first Tyson fight as well, he was waiting to go down. Then kudos to him realised all was not totally lost.

Nervous energy cost him in fights with Lewis and Witherspoon. You could see the tension just build and build as the fights went on, and Bruno could of beaten Witherspoon. He even tried his best to blow the McCall bout.

The fights where he was relaxed (Bugner and Coetzer), were the fights he had it in his head he was going to win from the first bell. In these bouts he had no problem going on after the first five or so rounds, perhaps showing that his 'stamina problems' were more mental than physical.

Entaowed likes this.
  12. Senor Pepe'

Senor Pepe' Boxing Junkie banned

Mar 14, 2012
    Frank Bruno had the 'perfect style' to 'mash' Muhammad Ali.

TKO 9, as Angelo Dundee will not allow a battered Ali out for Round 10,
    despite the pleas from Drew 'Bundini' Brown to send Ali out for another
    'hammering'.

13. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Definitely. :good

He'd probably be ahead after 10 round against a 1978 Ali but the old master would mess with his mind and make him fizzle out.
    I see Bruno becoming very arm weary very quickly as soon as Ali starts to rally in the late rounds.
    Ali by 1978 wasn't capable of punching hard enough to send Bruno into orbit but he'd build up the volume and Bruno would disintegrate dramatically.

14. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Also voted before reading, so subtract one from the Ali ko total lol..

Not sure who I'd pick vs this Ali yet..

15. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    In the name of good god almighty:lol::lol::lol:

ive heard it all now