Muhammad Ali vs. Thad Spencer 1967

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Il Duce, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Il Duce

Il Duce Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 18, 2010
    March 1967,

Muhammad Ali signed to fight Thad Spencer in Tokyo, Japan.
    Pre-set for April 29, 1967.

Muhammad Ali also agreed to fight either Joe Frazier, and/or Oscar Bonavena in June 1967, also in Japan.

The Japan government, at first was willing to allow Muhammad Ali to reside in Japan, while battling the U.S. Government over his military
    induction case.

2. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    What happened in regards to both the fights?

sorry, misread the year, ha ha!

3. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    JM36,

Too bad the Thad Spencer bout never happened.
    It may have been Muhammad Ali's most competitive fight, during his first reign.

Thad was on a roll, and his only loss in his previous bouts was due to a cut-eye, in a bout where he was dominating until the stoppage.

Spencer even called out Joe Frazier, and was willing to fight 'Smokin Joe' in the
    confines of Philadelphia, which was turned down.

Ever see Thad Spencer fight......1965 thru early 1968..?

4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think Spencer had a bad knee that restricted his mobility.

This would have been bad news for him against Ali.

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Interesting fact,Duce. Thanks. Ali would have beaten all three,handily at this juncture. There's no way that even Joe Frazier would have been ready for Ali in 1967,as Joe had only been a pro for two years. Beating George Chuvalo was one thing etc etc.

6. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    The original WBA Elimination Tournament, scheduled for July 16, 1967
    Had;
    #3 Floyd Patterson vs. #6 Oscar Bonavena
    #2 Ernie Terrell vs. #7 Jimmy Ellis

#4 Thad Spencer vs. #5 Karl Mildenberger
    #1 Joe Frazier vs. #8 George Chuvalo

Both Joe Frazier and George Chuvalo dropped out, when Madison Square Garden (Teddy Brenner and Harry Markson)
    offered them more money, and a bigger % of the 'live gate'.

By Joe Frazier's own admission, he was not ready for Muhammad Ali in 1967.
    In an article with Cloverlay, Inc., Joe Frazier stated he would be ready in 2-years, sometime in 1969, after
    Muhammad Ali clears up his 'thing' with the U.S. Army.

7. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    I watched the entirety of his win over Terrell, dropping Ernie on his face with a second round right hand, a knockdown Terrell avenged with a left hook decking of his own a few rounds later. (This second knockdown was not mentioned in Sports Illustrated's coverage of the bout, nor is it mentioned by :pissboxWRECK, but it was also a quality knockdown. Unfortunately, it seems it wouldn't be known about at all without the videotape of the broadcast, not currently on youtube.)

To me, Terrell was much better against Spencer than he'd been with Ali. Yes, I felt Thad deserved the decision, but wasn't really that impressed by him. No he would not have been competitive with Ali, not with his lack of stature and mobility. Unlike Terrell, I don't believe Spencer would have gone the distance with Muhammad.

8. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    I agree, Thad Spencer was good and very athletic, but not on par with
    Muhammad Ali or Joe Frazier.

I would say he was a stronger version of Doug Jones. With his forward-moving style, and lack of big-power, he would have been out-boxed by Muhammad Ali.
    If Thad was in condition, he could have taken that fight into the 10th Round or so, and maybe landed a few decent rights and brought some cheers to the crowd.

That said, I think Thad had the right style to beat a Floyd Patterson in 1966/1967.

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thad would have been stopped, probably a tko in the 9th or 10th..the biggest thing he would have had going for him would have been his youth...Ali had been younger than his competition until the Quarry fight.

10. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Spencer had quick and accurate hands, but he was rather conservative and slow of foot. In fact he had some parallels with Joe Louis, aside from Spencer not being much of a puncher. I agree that Ali would have probably stopped him by the 10th round. Not the best match-up for Spencer.

11. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    Though Thad's career collapsed with the loss to Jerry Quarry, he was still a
    formidable foe for anyone in the Heavyweight Division.

Scored a 'BIG UPSET' early in his career, when he defeated the Super Star Heavyweight of the Future, Otis Lee (6' 6" Heavyweight with miles of talent).

12. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    I don't think anyone ever knew what kind of Thad Spencer would show up.

He was so good against Ernie Terrell.
    He then sleep-walked when fighting Jerry Quarry.

He did claim, that Joe Frazier hadn't fought anybody, and was ducking all the
    real good fighters in 1967.

Thad wanted to fight Joe Frazier in Philadelphia in early-1967, but Yank Durham
    turned Thad down.
    Thad was one of the few fighters that called Joe out.

13. di tullio

di tullio Guest

Cool stuff. I met Joe a few times when I was a kid and he was my idol probably before I knew what boxing was.

14. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    IMHO Spencer was always overrated. I remember the tournament well in 67-68 but several people have mentioned to me that he was the pre-tournament favorite? Who had he beaten at that point to warrant that!? :huh And don't forget his sterling remaining pro record of 0-7-1 after the Quarry beatdown.

15. Il Duce

Nov 18, 2010
    Before the tournament, many of the boxing scribes had picked Thad Spencer, because of his athletic ability, and impressive work-outs.

In previous bouts he beat-up a dangerous #15 Amos Lincoln and shut-out #8 Doug Jones.
    And, lets not forget, he did drop Ernie Terrell, and beat Big Ernie worse than
    Muhammad Ali had.

In the Jerry Quarry fight, Thad never recovered from 'two' big punches from
    JQ in the 1st Round.