Muhammed Ali daily routine + Norton and Klitschko routine added

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MrPook, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005

What the ****.

2. PopeJackson

PopeJackson Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Outstanding.

3. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Floor exercises:
    250 – 300 sit-ups

Absolutely NO point doing so many reps with ab exercises. When there's no resistance you're not going to build any actual substantial new muscles, you'll just define what's there.

Better off doing a fifth of those but doing them with a steep decline on a bench, or with 50 plus pounds on your chest or some such. People wonder why they don't get abs even though they're doing hundreds of crunches but with no resistance.

And yes, I know Norton had decent abs. But the man was a ****ing genetic freak to begin with and had amazing genetics.

4. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004

I think 9.30am to 4.00pm is missing! At least i hope it is.

No running certainly explains his stamina problems.

5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007

About 6 months ago, Muscle Fitness magazine did a piece on Ken Norton when he was in his prime. They said that he was an avid weight lifter even during his boxing career, and was sometimes referred to as " The black Hercules. " I wonder if perhaps weight training was something he did when he wasn't in training for fights.

6. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I concur. Maybe that was breakfast for the whole camp?

7. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    I'm no expert, though i know a little bit about training for fights, but NO RUNNING SOUNDS WRONG AND INSANE TO ME. You have to do roadwork, end of story, i'm not having anything else on that unfortunately everyone.

Thanks

8. Arka

Arka New Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Get the quote would you ? :think

9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I no longer havee his autobiography. But it is near the end. He comments on why he didn't move more and said it was because he had been lifting weights. If you have the book you can look it up. It's in the post-fight talk of Manilla.

10. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Swimming is an alternative to running and advisable to a man his size, because swimming is very injury-safe whereas running is a big strain on the ankles, knees etc. Since he hooked up with Steward, his stamina has been excellent. Before he did that, he never sparred more than 4 rounds and did too many weights.

11. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I know that he (Norton) ate a shitload of eggs actually. Believe or not I got the information when I was at a Warhol exhibit. Warhol had his own tv-program in the late 70's early 80's and he interviewed Norton on one of the shows. I think Ken had retired from boxing, but was doing some model work or some such and therefore had to get back into shape. He told Warhol about his training and mentioned that he ate a lot of eggs.

Charles White and KidGalahad like this.
  12. Zaryu

Zaryu Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Interesting read, thnx for sharing.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. I would be in bed for a couple days if I ate all that ****.

All these workouts look like they are missing a lot. Ali's regimen looks way too easy, as does Klit's (what, no sparring?)... Also, I think the regimens probably change fight to fight, and certainly year to year as the guys age.

14. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks for sharing.

In terms of the bare-handed heavy bag work, I think that's a bit different than what other people are comparing it to when they mention punching walls. Moderately punching a bag to crack the skin seems a lot different than hitting a static wall.

15. Kalasinn

Kalasinn ♧ OG Kally ♤ Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Has anyone got Tyson's full daily routine for training camps with his original Rooney & Lott team?

I know Mike did 15 or 12 rounds of sparring per day 7 days a week, & 2500 sit-ups daily with a 20kg weight on his stomach, but i'd love to see a detailed routine.