Mundine vs Winky - who would win this close matchup at 168 -question mark-

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by China_hand_Joe, Jul 29, 2007.

1. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    I didn't post this in the General forum as we all know how clearly the Americans in there see things -fullstop-

2. MSTR

MSTR More Speed Than Roy!!!!! Full Member

Feb 19, 2005
    This will be an interesting thread. Some of the aussies in here are just as bad as the yanks if not WORSE CHJ when it comes to Mundine. Anyway, that aside, I think it could be a close fight, but we have yet to see Mundine vs a top level southpaw to gauge how well he can adapt his style. After watching the BHop vs Winky fight, I thought Wright did MUCH better then the scores indicated. Based on this fight, and the fact that I don't think Winky belonged at 175 anyway, I believe that Wright would outwork Mundine for a UD, proabably by about 8 rounds to 4. Winky is deceptively strong and I can't see Choc out hussling him.

3. Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo Yo! Molesta La Breastas! Full Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Winky's defensive style is too good and i think at 168 he would come in with a greater level of fitness than what he had at 175. His southpaw style and ring smarts see him get a UD 9 rounds to 3

4. MSTR

Feb 19, 2005
    HAHAHA. Thats hilarious. Funniest thing i have heard in the past week... Keep up the good work buddy.

5. China_hand_Joe

Sep 21, 2006
    Winky just fought at 170 I believe, he is an old LMW and Mundine did win several rounds against (real life Ivan Drago and seemingly invincible) Mikkel Kessler -fullstop- Winky is on the slide I reckon -fullstop-

6. MSTR

Feb 19, 2005
    Winky is still a very active fighter, and IMO would just out work Mundine. Not saying Choc wouldn't possibly win a few rounds, but he goes into his shell too often at times, and against the top fighters he would need to be much more active then he was against either Green, Kessler or neivas. If he can try to match the pace and the punch output of the Soliman fight he might be a good chance though to take a VERY narrow points decision at best, however IMO it is pretty unlikely. To say that he shuts him out and makes him look like an amatuer is flat out ridiculous. I wouldn't expect anything better though from a Choc hugger.

7. MSTR

Feb 19, 2005
    As well as this, being a southpaw with probably the best jab in all of boxing, it would heavily negate Chocs jab which is one of his primary weapons. I think style wise this is a bad match up for him. I also believe that it is more then coincidence that Mundine has never really fought a good southpaw. Sounds like effective management to me, but unfortunately I have no way of proving it at this point in time.

8. Barge FTA

Barge FTA Active Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Winky would have no motivation to fight Mundine and this fight will never happen.

9. Dr Gonzo

Dr Gonzo Yo! Molesta La Breastas! Full Member

Mar 1, 2007
    its called a discussion - doesn't have to be factual :roll:

10. China_hand_Joe

Sep 21, 2006
    Winky by competetive but clear decison -questionmark-

11. Dekkers

Dekkers Team Bergeron Full Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Mundine ceratainly has the edge in speed, I also can't see two pounds making a world of difference in the endurance department either for Winky.

Personally i've felt Winky has been fading for a while now, and while his solid skills and defence make the fight interesting, I think he'll lose to the younger, stronger, better conditioned, faster fighter, 7-5 or around there, probably losing the fight in the late rounds.

12. MSTR

Feb 19, 2005
    Winky looked good against Bernard Hopkins though, who is a level above Mundine. He doesn't need the two pounds to make a difference, as he is still an elite fighter. He is a better techincal fighter with a higher punch out put then Mundine. Hence he takes a decision. Mundine is NOT better conditioned, and even if he was doesn't throw enough punches to take advantage of it. Mundine is a poor combination puncher but it good at pot shoting. Against a guy with great defense like Wright pot shotting does not work, you need to attack in combinations. CHoc doesn't do this well, and has a limited range of punches in his offense, working mainly off the one-two combination. It is hard to get a jab to work against a southpaw, and NO ONE has been able to establish a jab before against Winky consistently, not even Taylor or Hop both of whom have solid jabs. Therefore Choc practically loses half of his offensive aresenal. I can't see him beating Wright as stated above it is a very bad match up style wise.

13. Dekkers

Dekkers Team Bergeron Full Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Hopkins wouldn't have lost to Taylor if he was still prime, Hopkins is still a crafty fighter but at this point he's ceratainly not a level over the top 3 super middleweights (certainly in terms of achievements, but not head to head). I'd pick all three to beat him by decision, 5 years ago it's a different story.

Winky can no longer maintain his output (Mundine on the other hand is fighting at his natural weight, unlike Winky who has a lot of excess bulk as well as age working against him) and his legs have lost a lot of zip, if Mundine has plenty of movement his speed will be enough to make pot shotting a viable option. Then again Mundine only really pot shots with fighters who have something that Winky doesn't have- respectable supermiddleweight power, he's far more aggressive with combinations (hooks, and uppercuts into the mix) against fighters who lack a threatening punch.

14. jb1

jb1 REFLECTION OF PERFECTION Full Member

Dec 7, 2005
    winky wide UD

15. KO Boxing

KO Boxing Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I was very unimpressed by Winky at 170 pounds. Just seemingly had no "ring smarts" and *let* Hopkins just completely be the ring general.

Honestly, to me, all he did was come forward and throw out a a few jabs (which were NOT landing as much as the punch stats say), get on the inside and try to throw a few nothing flurries (to, as Birmingham kept saying, "keep the numbers up").

Against THAT Winky, it's a close close close fight! Mundine's speed and potshots could find a way through Winky's defence for a points win.

The Winky we're used to seeing at 160, and its a different fight. Doesn't look like he'd be able to hold that extra 8 pounds very well though.