Murat Gassiev at heavyweight

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CaravanDweller, May 20, 2020.

1. CaravanDweller

CaravanDweller Member banned Full Member

May 31, 2019
    Arreola on Gassiev’s power:
    This content is protected

Davison on Gassiev:

26 years old
    IBF cruiserweight champ at 23
    Unified cruiserweight champ at 24
    Only defeat is to arguably the greatest cruiser of all time in his prime

He’s gonna be a serious problem at heavy in my opinion

2. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I was looking forward to see him fight again, but he dissapeared for a couple of years now.
    If his shoulder is fixed he can do a lot of damage in the division where you have a bunch of old guys like Povetkin or Pulev or out of shape guys like Whyte or Ruiz at the top.
    It seems Wilder is out of the picture and was never that good in the first place.
    Realistically only Fury and AJ are decent at this point. Maybe Usyk.

CaravanDweller likes this.
  3. Kadiru

Kadiru Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2015
    I still got some hope in him since he‘s still very young, but some recent pics and videos of him have me worried. Looks greatly out of shape, which is particularly surprising since he was supposed to have a fight earlier this year, so somehow had to be in training...

Pimp C likes this.
  4. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I'm excited about him, but we unfortunately have to note that Usyk didn't just defeat Gassiev, he "exposed" Gassiev.

Their fight wasn't close at all. Sure, Usyk is great and Gassiev is young, but it didn't look like it was a matter of Gassiev just fixing "a couple small things." More like Gassiev needed a complete overhaul.

Yikes. That's not encouraging.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Usyk now him. The heavyweight division is getting some very talented but smallish guys lately

6. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I don’t see it. Gassiev without even working at it is strong as an ox and can hurt anybody if he lands clean, but even when I used to see him when Abel Sanchez would bring him to Goossen’s to spar Ruiz, Arreola, Gerald Washington, Ronald Gavril, etc... he always seemed to be going through the motions.

He was able to pickup a title with just his raw raw strength and durability at cruiserweight, but that won’t be enough at heavyweight. If Gassiev is serious about being anything at heavyweight he needs to be way more active and start working on his fundamentals, since he’s still young enough to improve by leaps and bounds.

Eastern Iron and macademics like this.
  7. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Hyping up another puny cruiserweight, they can't compete against these obese behemoths!

Dance84 likes this.
  8. zeratul

zeratul Active Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I don't see him beating division's current best Fury and Joshua, and would pick Andy Ruiz Jr. and Wilder over him too. No chance he beats Usyk. However, he can hang in the top 10 for sure.

Possibly, if all these fighters retire and/or decline in the next few years and the next talent pool isn't fruitful, he can get the title.

9. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I see no evidence that he actually intends to fight.

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009

CST80 likes this.
  11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    “The power he has shown me in the gym sparring against [heavyweights Dominic] Breazeale, Charles Martin, Gerald Washington, Chris Arreola, is very real,” Sanchez said. “All those guys, he’s been able to dominate and hurt. Once we get him to the heavyweight division and stabilize him at 225, 230, and put some muscle on those pounds, he’ll be very effective.''

-- Abel Sanchez

Which HW's ribs did Gassiev break in sparring?

Timestamped

''Ask any given sparring partner who’s been in there with him and they will tell you he’s a small heavyweight who fights like a big heavyweight.

“Murat Gassiev – that motherbeeeper hits hard,” heavyweight contender Chris Arreola said of his experience while training with the Russian banger in Big Bear, California.

The two worked in the same gym space for their recent training camps. Arreola was preparing for his December 12 showdown with Travis Kauffman, a fight he won by split decision. The final outcome was disputed, but Arreola’s energy at fight’s end was attributed to the work he put in during his time in Big Bear, also crediting Gassiev as one of the fighters who pushed him in the gym.

“He caught me in the ribs during one sparring session, I just never been hit like that before,” Arreola admitted. “This was a camp I was already determined to leave as a trim and ready fighter, but I knew I couldn’t half-ass it when he was there. Whenever I saw him in the gym when I arrived, I was like “Beep, not that guy again.” But he makes you work in the gym, he makes you a better fighter.”

'Here is another endorsement. World-class cruiserweight Ola Afolabi (who has sparred both Wlad and Vitali among other HWs) proclaimed that Gassiev is a certified assassin. “Probably the hardest puncher I’ve ever been in with,” said Afolabi, a pro since 2002 and a three-time cruiserweight title challenger ranked No. 10 by THE RING.'

I wonder how much he weighs in these recent vids. His face looks a bit chubbier but his body looks hard

lewis gassed, CST80, Dance84 and 2 others like this.
  12. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I don't think Gassiev needs an overhaul. How likely is it that Gassiev fights somebody stylistically similar to Usyk again? Sure we can go ahead and write him off vs Fury but the Usyk fight doesn't tell us how he does against the rest of the division.

Dance84 and Reinhardt like this.
  13. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Excited about the potential he could have but just want to see him active. Encouraged by what Serge has just posted. Maybe this extended break owing to the pandemic will be good for him.

CST80 likes this.
  14. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    People talk about Luis Ortiz looking old. Murat Gassiev looks like he could be 40.

I don't think he's all that, but I think he's better than Michael Hunter, for example, who is vastly overrated.

15. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Gassiev is done IMO.

George Crowcroft likes this.