Murderers Row

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    What are your thoughts on these fighters. Charley Burley, Lloyd Marshall, Holman Williams, Hebert"Cocoa Kid"Lewis Hardwick, Jack Chase, Eddie Booker, Aaron Wade and Bert Lytell. They fought each other 62 times, the fights often classics and grueling contests.

2. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    1Earle Combs
    2Mark Koenig
    3Babe Ruth
    4Lou Gehrig
    5Bob Muesel
    6Tony Lozzerri
    1927 Murderer's Row. The ONLY Murderer's Row in sports history.

George Crowcroft, Seamus and louis54 like this.
  3. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    It's a good example when boxing was boxing .. The top guys these days wont even get in the ring each other

4. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Yep the originals

The Morlocks likes this.
  5. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Jack Chase is a badass and underrated. He's an honorary italian alongside Mickey Walker in my book. Beat Robinson's ass in a streetfight. Holman Williams is one of my favorites. I find Marshall a tad overrated. All in all they all had wars with the best of their era

I'm not sure why Archie Moore and Ezzard Charles arent included in the black murderer's row, was it because they managed to capture titles?

Edit: I meant Aaron Wade, not Jack Chase

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I love charley Burley. The only thing worse than him not getting a fair shot at the big names of his era is that we have hardly any footage of this genius. Both are crimes against humanity.

ChrisJS likes this.
  7. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Read Springs Toledo’s book on this subject. The best book I’ve read in years. I was very familiar already with the story of Burley having read Ottys and Rosenfields books on him but fighters like Wade, Chase, Lytell I knew far less about.

DJN16 and greynotsoold like this.
  8. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Archie Moore should be included in the Murderers' Row group. As good as he was, Moore really didn't stand out in the group at the time. But as boxing's version of Methuselah, Moore went on to have a long reign as a world light heavyweight champion after winning the title at the age of 36 and to have two shots at the world heavyweight title.

In discussing the fighters in Murderer's Row, one has to remember almost all of them were mediocre gate attractions at best during their careers. In fact, Charley Burley himself was a terrible gate attraction. He wasn't much of a drawing card even in his hometown of Pittsburgh, which was a fine fight town during his career. That is the main reason why Burley was unable to get lucrative bouts or a world title shot

- Chuck Johnston

9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Jimmy Bivins needs to be on this list

10. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I mean it did only exist because they were all being ducked like hell

George Crowcroft and surfinghb1 like this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    It's crazy what a footnote Burley Vs Marshall was in the papers.

George Crowcroft and Chuck1052 like this.
  12. Chuck1052

Sep 22, 2013
    Yes, it is sad that the bout between Lloyd Marshall and Charley Burley got very little coverage in the newspapers. While the bout between Marshall and Burley did take place at Hollywood Legion Stadium, a fine boxing venue with a capacity of about 6,200. But the Los Angeles area and the rest of California were not that significant in the boxing world at the time, especially compared to New York City.

- Chuck Johnston

Cecil and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  13. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    It wouldn't make sense to include Moore in Murderers' Row. He stepped up and out of it when he took Maxim's crown. He's a champion, and there are no champions on Murderers' Row.

Moore is also their original torch-bearer. He began bringing their names up almost constantly in the mid-50s, recognizing that he very easily could have had the same fate as they did had he not kept at it. Without him, those names likely would have been lost to history.

Chuck1052 and ChrisJS like this.
  14. Stonehands89

Stonehands89 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Why? If he's included that why not include Ezzard, Elmer Ray, and Doc Williams. Bivins has only two fights in there. He won but was considerably bigger than Marshall and Burley when he beat them --though both rung him good.

ChrisJS likes this.
  15. Chuck1052

Sep 22, 2013
    I disagree. During the first 10 or 15 years of his career, Moore definitely was part of the group. In fact, Ezzard Charles could also be considered part of the group. Charles never got a shot at the world light heavyweight title before become the world heavyweight champion later on.

- Chuck Johnston

George Crowcroft likes this.