Must See Benn v Barkley (US version)

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Bulldog24, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    This content is protected

I was living in Colarado at the time and remember the ads on ABC in the weeks preceeding, along the lines 'Can the Pride of Great Britain bomb Iran, or can the man from the streets of the South Bronx strike down Big Benn' with graphics of bombings and Big Ben, and violent highlights of Barkley and Benn (Barkley hitting Hearns on the way down and Benn hitting Quinones on the way down)

Tyson told Benn at a club in Vegas in 89 to stay well clear of Barkley, calling him 'a bad, bad man'

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013

3. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Wow I remember watching that live on itv in the uk .dressed up for a Saturday night out clubbing .the same day Iraq invaded Kuwait !!! 30 years ago .5h1t I'm getting old !!!

Jamal Perkins, Bulldog24 and DJN16 like this.
  4. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    That DeWitt performance was frightening, Benn's Miami party friends Tom Hanks and Mickey Rourke ringside, and knowing Hearns couldn't put a dent in DeWitt; his ear had turned BLUE after two rounds with Benn. I scored the first round 10-8 WITHOUT a KD, then Benn gets off the floor in the second and nearly takes DeWitt's head off its shoulders right after before bell saves Doug

lloydturnip and Jamal Perkins like this.
  5. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    He took out a top two American middleweight (behind lb4lb #1 Nunn - Benn's moonwalking opposite in there), almost with the very first punch, after three and a half years as a pro!

(there were 50+ world-class black American middles through the 80s)

A hop, a skip and a jump and rocket launching right with zero telegraphy. It's up there with Eubank's off the deck fatal blow to Watson, where he (Eubank) walked in and took one step with his left to the side at the perfect distance to pinpoint lace it through the guard under such pressure. Truly great fighters produce such punches when expected to lose.

Never ducked anyone

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    lloydturnip and Jamal Perkins like this.
  6. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Bulldog you are a legend...in 23 years of boxing forumming I cant remember a poster who puts out such quality output.Ive waited for the Usa version of Benn & Barkley for years...stopped looking yonks ago

lloydturnip and Bulldog24 like this.
  7. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    More pre fight:

Many Yanks would've recorded this one (the days of free network TV)

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  8. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Sick