MWT Tourney semi - HAGLER v MONZON

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bill Butcher, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Who wins, you have 2 days to decide.

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Monzon post 1964 always found a way to not lose. Hagler probably had more ability than Monzon. But Carlos was more intelligent as a fighter. Monzon could adapt and change a plan in the middle of a fight. Hagler had a plan and kept to it. That is why he struggled some what with Duran and also the other reason he lost to Leonard.

Monzon WS15 8-7

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I like TBooze's post. I have similair feelings about this fight. One thing though - what does Hagler do around round 9 when he knows he's being beaten? I feel like Monzon would indeed win if it was a very close fight, but if Monzon started to dominate a little bit we might see something interesting.

I'm not going to actually vote until i read some more posts.

4. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    No way Hagler should be winning this poll.

Look at the return fight with Valdez, Monzon was down in the second yet dusted himself back up and outboxed and beat on Rodrigo from the 6th as soon as it looked like the chips where down for Carlos.If Marvin shook the Argentinian even a little bit Hagler would be in for a long night thereafter.

Monzon did not know how to lose, & would not lose to Hagler. This is the best middleweight in history we are speaking about.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's so true. Hagler was more gifted in many ways than Monzon, but that would not have mattered at all. Monzon's main attribute was his boxing brain. He would outsmart and outscore Hagler over 15 rounds, and it wouldn't be in dispute either. Monzon was the superior ring general and like you daid, he always found a way not to lose, or even better, always found a way to win. One of the greatest underrated boxing minds, Monzon was like Ali in this way.

6. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Im gonna have to see more of this monzon guy because I know hagler was great & many of you pick carlos over him (although the votes dont reflect as much, weird, that happens quite a lot.)

7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Yeah good post. I agree with most of this. But Marvin is no fool. How is Monzon going to react when Hagler moves to plan B and starts trying to out and out bull Carlos? Say in the final third of the fight, for example - someone of his calibre is certianly going to ask questions of Monzon.

8. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    The problem is, Hagler's flaw was he could only folllow instructions; and tatically the Petronelli's were sometimes found wanting.

9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Even if this is so, the Petronelli's will not be so blind as to send Hagler out for round 10 with the same plan as they gave him in round 1 if he is 8-2 down. I just wonder what happens when Hagler makes a change.

10. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    Well I do not know... they were pretty bad.;)

11. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    I pick Monzon to win via decision he would also be a fair amount bigger then Hagler.

12. sthomas

sthomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    If Duran gave Hagler that much trouble, I think it's Monzon's fight to lose.

13. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    This fight is one of the most difficult fantasy fights....Who has the dominant jab in the fight? Both were excellent.
    Monzon by split dec

14. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Monzon in a close one

15. Marciano Frazier

Marciano Frazier Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    I would be very surprised if this fight didn't go to a competitive decision. Personally, I favor Monzon, who I believe was the smarter fighter between these two extremely skilled and gifted champions.
    Good to see Monzon's taken the lead in the poll. He often doesn't get anywhere near the respect he deserves.