My attempt at a top 50 heavyweights and some honorable mentions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Oct 25, 2018.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Apologies, but we did a top 25 recently, and I thought I might like to try to go to 50. Let me admit that this got VERY hard after about 29, as there were a lot of guys with big peaks and valleys. So I threw in some honorable mentions that were considered.

My #1 Criteria is who they beat. After that, titles held, statistics, notable non-statistical achievements (upsets, comebacks) and of course, some purely subjective perceptions. Losses and negative impact on the sport drag them down, and I freely admit to era bias, as I don't think a lot of the guys who denied black contenders (even the black ones), or guys who fought a lot of blacksmiths and circus strong men. THIS IS NOT A HEAD-TO-HEAD LIST. Some eras may be better than others, but a fighter has to be judged by what he accomplished in his time.

Fire away with all criticism. This is for fun. Especially let me know who I missed.

Thing is saying the post is too long, so let me do my honorable mentions first:

HONORABLE MENTIONS/ALSO CONSIDERED, IN ALPHABETICAL

Jimmy Braddock
    Upset of the half century, but VERY, very thin after the Baer win, with maybe a split decision over Farr being his second best win. Lots of losses on the record.

Lamon Brewster
    Big win against Wlad followed by a credible reign, but got a gift against Meehan, and when he fell apart, he fell fast and hard.

Tommy Burns
    Win over Hart is about it. Gets some consideration for having the balls to fight Jack Johnson. Best win after Hart is LHW O'Brien, and defended against some of the worst.

Frank Childs
    "Colored" title champ. Hard to get info on how good he actually was. Seems to have lost most of his big fights.

Joe Choynski
    An interesting footnote. Never won the belt, but knocked Johnson cold, drew with both Jefferies and Fitzimmons, and had a NC against Corbett.

Jimmy Flynn
    The controversial Dempsey victory, and seems to be highly ranked on Boxrec, but I don't get why.

Lem Franklin
    A good black fighter who did not get a shot against Louis. Wins against Jimmy Bivins, Lee Savold, Abe Simon,

George Godfrey (19-37)
    Record is not equal to his legend, but he wore the cuffs a lot and people who saw him thought he was great, including Dempsey

George Godfrey (79-96)
    Considered as a "colored" champ, but seems to have lost most of his big fights.

Marvin Hart
    Controversial win over Johnson. Jack Root. Peter Maher. Gus Ruhlin. Joe Choynski. Philadelphia Jack O'Brien. Would be on the list expect that credible evidence has been presented that the Johnson win is shakey.

Ike Ibeabucchi
    Tua and Byrd. What if....?

Denver Ed Martin
    "Colored titled champ." Seems to have lost more than he won.

Oliver McCall
    Beat Lennox Lewis, but I watched that live and consider it a Don King stoppage (more importantly, the color team took issue). Also beat weak champs Seldon, Damiani, and MAskaev, but, balanced that out with losses to bums (Joey Christjohn), Cruisers (Norris), Fringe contenders (Hunter), and had 14 losses over all.

Lee Q. Murray
    Another of the best black fighters that Joe Louis could not fight, bested Turkey Thompson and Jimmy Bivins.

Jerry Quarry
    Wins over Patterson, Foster, Shaver, Lyle put a lot of ABC champs to shame. Maybe the next best of the 70's after the fab four.

Leon Spinks
    Yeah, I know, but he was undisputed champ (until the WBC striped him) with a win over a legend, and, after losing the belt, climbed his way back to a second shot, and then fought for a cruiserweight belt. Not a bad career all things considered.

Pinklon Thomas
    One of the better ABC champs with wins over Witherspoon and Weaver

Tony Tucker
    One of the better ABC champs with wins over Douglas and McCall

Jess Willard- Johnson knockout is about it, but what a knockout!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    And, the top 50:

50. David Haye
    His cruiserweight wins would count in a lot of eras, and Valuev, Ruiz, Maccarelli. Barret, Mormeck, Fragomeni and Chisora make a fine record, but some embarrassing losses and loses points for making a pain out of himself with his frequent pull-outs. Notable for providing a credible rival for Wlad.

50. Alexander Povetkin
    Not a real champs with his WBA "regular" belt, but wins over Chageav, Byrd, Rahmen, Huck, and Chambers make him notable. One of WladKlit's best opponents.

49. Michael Moorer
    The big win against Holy, but thereafter it gets thin, and there were some embarrassing losses, including Foreman.

48. Turkey Thompson
    One of the guys who could not get a shot at Joe Louis. Lee Q. Murray, Jimmy Bivins, Arturo Godoy, Henry Cooper, Elmer Ray were all vanquished.

47. Joe Jeanette
    Another of the great black fighters not given a chance by Johnson . Managed one win against Langford (though he usually lost or drew), a couple against Mcvea, and beat Carpentier. The really eye-popping wins aren't there, but a lot of that had to do with opportunity, and it had to be worth something that Dempsey climbed out of the ring rather than fight him.

46. Tyson Fury
    Could go way up or way down. He's the guy who unseated Wladdy, and, at the time of this writing is still undefeated. Very thin after Wlad.

44. Haseem Rahmen
    Sparked Lewis and has a good follow-up win over Corrie Sanders, but LOTS of embarrassing losses drag him down.

43. Elmer Ray
    Another of the best black fighters that Joe Louis could not fight. Wins over Ezzard Charles, Joe Walcott, Lee Savold, and Henry Cooper.

42. Michael Spinks
    3-1 as a heavy, but the man who unseated Larry Holmes. I think we can forgive his crushing at the hands of prime Tyson.

41. David Tua
    Never won the belt, but beat four champs in Moorer, Maskaev, Rahmen, and Ruiz. This is the guy that should have the reputation that guys like Shaver and Cleveland Williams enjoy.

40. Anthony Joshua
    Obviously he could go up or down from here. If he retired, today, this is where I would have him.

39. Johnny Ruiz
    Win over Holyfield, Tucker, Rahmen, McLine, Golota, Johnson, and a number of contenders, but the Tua and Jones loses are humiliating and drag him down.

38. Primo Carnera
    Yes, he started out his career as a fraud, but he worked hard to improve, and there is no evidence that the Sharkey win was a set-up (Sharkey maintained until he died that he just got caught). Add wins against Schaaf, Nuesal, Loughran, Uzcudun, Levinsky, Stribling, and a dodgy DQ against Godfrey, and it is actually pretty obvious that he became, if not a good fighter, than one who knew how to use his great size. Sorry Haters.

37. Buster Douglas
    Lighting in a battle with the best upset ever over Mike Tyson. Unfortunately, he lost to guys like Ferguson, and even managed to draw against the awful Tangstad. Who knows what he could have been if he tried every night like he did in Tokyo.

36. John L. Sullivan
    Deserves some mention as the first champ to fight under Queensbury rules, and the first national sports figure, but most of his opponents were blacksmiths, local strongmen and the like. Refused to fights Jackson. Charlie Mitchell was basically a middle, and we really don't know how good guys like John Flood and Paddy Ryan were.

35. Peter Jackson
    Wins over Slavin, Godfrey, and Maher. Shame that he did not get a title shot, but since he only managed a draw against Corbett, claims that he was significantly better than the Corbett or Fitzsimmons cannot really be made.

34. Jim Corbett
    Beat Sullivan, Chonyski, Mitchell, Kilrain and even managed a draw with Jackson, but never gave Jackson a shot. Lost to a middleweight. His reputation has not maintained with time.

33. Jimmy Bivins
    One of the best of the black fighters that Louis couldn't/didn't defend against, scoring wins over Lee Q. Murray, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Lee Savold, Tami Murielloa, Joey Maxim, Turkey Thompson, Gus Levenisch, and a number of other notables.

32. Bob Fitzimmons
    I don't think a lot of the pre-Jack Johnson era, but Bob clearly had a unique accomplishment in being middle, LHW, and heavyweight champion. Beat Corbett and some other recognizable names such as Maher, Ruhlin, Tom Sharkey, Dempsey the nonpareliel, O'Brien, but only managed a draw with Choynski, and not all of this counts towards his heavyweight ranking.

31. Sam McVea
    Tied with Jeanette to the fourth best black heavy in the Jack Johnson era. Did better against mutual competition, with a couple of wins each over Langford and Wills (though both usually beat him) but lost to Jeanette more than he won. Also notable win over Denver Ed Martin.

30. Larry Gains
    We don't know much about Larry, except that he had 117 wins including Schmeling, Carnera, and Godfrey. If we really had the full knowing of this guy, he might be a lot higher.

29. Tim Witherspoon
    Very underrated guy, in that he won two version of the title in the eighties, and beat four other titlists in Page, Tubbs, Smith, and Bruno. Also, nearly beat Holmes, and though revisionism has scrubbed it so that Holmes clearly won, at the time there were people saying terrible Tim won. Too bad this guy could not find a nutritionist and stay off the cocaine.

28. Ingemar Johanson
    Johanson is generally considered to be a guy that did not have much but his right hand, but his record has terrific with wins over Patterson, Machon, Cooper, Hoff, Neuhaus, Erskine, and London. Even his losses to Patterson were hot for Floyd, and, since Patterson is the only guy to beat him, he actually shares honors with Marciano, Tunney, Bowe, and Lewis as one of the few champs to beat every many he ever fought. Really, just a hair from Patterson.

27. Chris Byrd
    Criminally underrated guy who, despite being a super middle, tallied victories over Vitklit, Holyfield, and Tua. As with Marciano, you can put all the asterixs beside you want, and it is still a spectacular accomplishment. To me, the fastest heavy since Ali.

26. Max Baer
    Who knows how good he could have been if he didn't kill a man in the ring and lose his desire to fight. His son later described how he woke up at night screaming. Very sad. In any event, gets there on Schmeling, Carnera, and few others.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    25. Jack Sharkey
    Beat Wills, Godfrey, Carnera, Risko, Stribling, Lohran, and split those two strange fights with Schmeling.

24. Ken Norton
    Soley based on his performances against Ali, and throw in Quarry. Some embarrassing losses against punchers, and one bum.

23. Joe Walcott
    Great win over Charles and should have had the Bomber, but lots of losses on there. A strange, roller-coaster career.

22. VitKlit
    Wish I could rate him higher but the wins aren't there. Great statistical record, though, and the comeback will always be talked about.

21. Riddick Bowe
    Almost solely for the first win with Holyfield and an impressive looking record. Should have about three DQ losses, possibly a loss to Tubbs, and disgraced himself by running from Lewis.

20. Floyd Patterson
    His reign was mostly a disgrace, but he managed wins over Moore, Jackson, Bonevena, Cooper, Machon, and Johanson. Much like Schmeling, in the big picture he was great.

19. Max Schmeling
    His title run was a disgrace, but he is the only man to hold a win over physical prime bomber, has his disputed fights with Sharkey, and also beat Hamas, Stribling, Nuesal, Risko, and Walker. And he should have gotten the shot against Braddock and won the title back. Joe Louis' version of Joe Frazier.

18. Charles "Sonny" Liston
    I realize that an entire legend has sprung up around the guy, but basically, his record is not that impressive. He destroyed Patterson, who was great but uber-chinny, and defeated Valdez, Williams, Machon, and Foley, who were solid but unspectacular. Quit twice against Ali.

17. Ezzard Charles
    Very underrated, PfP guy with the wins over Louis, Walcott, Maxim, Moore. Impressive that he started as a middle. Wish I could rate him higher.

16. Larry Holmes
    I have argued this one to death elsewhere--I find the man overrated because he openly, without a question ducked Page and Thomas, and even bragged about doing it. He helped to fragment titles by giving the IBF credibility. That being said, he had a beautiful jab, and was tough in the ring. And he did have 19 defenses (Frazier was not official) even if a majority of them were utter garbage.

15. Jack Dempsey
    Good place for the man who fought about once a year as champ, and never fought his #1 contender. He is still a legend, and might have beaten Wills, but as it stands, Wills is the real champ in my book.

14. Mike Tyson
    Such a meteoric rise...and fall. I honestly believe that he could have been the best ever. But he didn't want it.

13. Sam Langford
    What a phenom. Started as a lightweight, and won 180 fights up to heavy. PfP greatness.

12. Jim Jeffries
    Only one super-out-of-prime loss, with some great wins. I don't dock him as much points as the other color line guys, because 1. He fought three good black fighters coming up, 2. He considered giving Johnson a shot, and Johnson blew it by losing (controversial) to Hart, and 3. Jeffries eventually did fight him.

11. Jack Johnson
    No one denies his skill and accomplishment, but I find him a hair overrated for two reasons: 1. He also did not fight the black fighters when he won the title, and 2. He has some embarrassing losses (Chonyski). A great fighter no doubt and we could put him a bit higher.

10. Gene Tunney
    Beat every man he ever fought, including greats Harry Greb and Jack Dempsey.

9. Harry Wills
    I was once a huge Jack Dempsey fan, and according to the Mauler he wanted to fight Wills, but objectively, Wills has the better record, and was the real champ of their era. The color line was such a shame.

8. WladKlit
    Two time champ with 23 defenses. Yup, if garbage defenses like those of Wilder's count, then so do Wladdy's WBO reign. The prime losses hurt, as well as the weak comp, and I could see him being lower on a lot of lists.

7. Evander Holyfield
    Would be higher, as he beat the second most number of greats behind Ali, but he is a bit diminished in my mind with the "Evan Fields" controversy. We really don't know how good he was, but it is a shame to leave him of entirely, so I will say seven with an asterix. Could be a bit higher, or much lower.

6. Joe Frazier
    Winner of the fight of the century. Love the man.

5. George Foreman
    Two-time champ with some great wins, and the entire mystique of the comeback. Lineal champ in BOTH of boxing's golden eras. Ponder that!

4. Lennox Lewis
    Presided over the second golden era of boxing, beat every man he ever fought, beat Tyson, Holyfield, and Vitklit, and scared Bowe into making a coward of himself.

3. Rocky Marciano
    The "0." Haters can hate, and somewhere in that big boxing ring in the sky, the Rock is laughing. Also, highest knockout percentage with 88%. Call out all the asterixs you want.

2. Joe Louis
    25 defenses. Someday it will be broken, but 25 UNDISPUTED defenses will never be broken. Had the war not happened, it might have been more, as he fought dozens, even hundreds of exhibitions.

1. Muhammad Ali
    Beat the most great, near great, and just damned good fighters. Patterson, Liston, Norton, Foreman, Frazier, and his second tier wins would be a great and noble reign for most.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeannette was given two chances against Johnson but the boxing authorities pulled the plug.

5. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Fitzsimmons's draw with Choynski was because they agreed to call it a draw if there was police interference. It was closer to a TKO win for Fitz IIRC.

I rate Langford as one of the best P4P, butI don't think there's anyway he rates that high as a heavyweight TBH.

6. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    But we all know that he signed to fight Langford before that, and declined to go through with the fight. So how much were those "chances worth?"

7. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    It has got to be worth something that Dempsey name him the only man he was really afraid of.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    We all know. or we should do if we are pontificating on the subject,that Johnson signed to fight both Langford and McVey in Australia for $45,000 plus 4 round trip tickets and a % of the movie rights,but the offer was withdrawn when he jumped bail.
    Johnson ,before he became champion signed to fight Langford in London for £3000 .After he became champion he declared his price for a defence was $30,000 the same as Burns had received for defending against him.
    Johnson signed to defend against Jeannette TWICE both times for $30,000 his going rate for a defence,both times the NY boxing commission vetoed the fights and threatened anyone who put them on with having their licence withdrawn I've known this for 6 years now,its a matter of public record and can be confirmed by anyone buying Pollack's bio of Johnson.Before people make statements it 's best if they get their facts straight, not to say verified.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Not really, Dempsey was a skinny 18 year old,just starting out ,he wasn't ready to fight that quality of opposition

10. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    They turned him down as a title defense when he was going blind. "Sorry Sam, we are looking for someone a little easier."

Nighttrain likes this.
  11. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    Mcvey, let me say that I am actually very glad for your contribution, and thanks. Here is why may assessment stands for my rankings:

1) It's all a moot point. He didn't defend against the best there was to defend. Dempsey tried to make the Wills fight...the point isn't his willingness, its the fact that the reigns themselves are subpar.

2) By your own admittance, he had a contract to fight Langford and reneged. You said he wanted more money---fair enough. So his reign suffered for it.

Additionally...

3) Joe Jeanette and Sam Langford both openly said that he ducked them. I take their words over other sources.

4) Johnson was going to fight McVey and Langford in Australia before he jumped bail? That is four years into his reign. What is more, he subsequently Fought Battling Jim Johnson in Paris...so he couldn't have fought a tougher black man? Of course he could have. Or in Buenas Aires, or Cuba, or anywhere else he wanted to.

So my assessment stands. But again, thanks for the context. Good stuff.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nope thats BS story made up by Bert Sugar. Langford was blind in one eye the result of Fulton's left jab in1917.
    Dempsey did not win the title until 1919.When Langford was 37

Reinhardt likes this.
  13. NoNeck

NoNeck Pugilist Specialist Full Member

Apr 3, 2012
    I'm a little outraged to not see Mcall's name on there. His win column includes Lewis (undefeated), Holmes, Seldon (undefeated), Maskaev (undefeated), Akinwande, Sinan Samil Sam and old man wins over Lance Whitaker, Franklin Lawrence, Fres Oquendo, and Marcin Rekowski (undefeated) to avenge his son's loss.

He held a belt, never was knocked down, and was relevent in four different decades.

Bonecrusher and Pat M like this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No he reign does not suffer for it.He signed to fight Langford in London and reneged on it ,before he became champion.As champion he signed to fight him but the offer was withdrawn through no fault of Johnson's.Both Jeannette and Langford hated Johnson's guts, you don't have to take anyone's word you can read the contemporary papers stating Johnson had twice signed to fight Jeannette for the McMahon brothers in New York its a verified fact as is the statement subsequently put out by them explaining why the fights did not happen and the statement published by the Chairman of the NY Boxing Commission stating Johnson would never be allowed to box in NY,it s all verified and primary sourced. You dont want to believe the verified truth then that's your problem.
    Jeannette openly said he weighed 165 lbs for his last fight with Johnson do you take his word for that?
    Jeannette openly said he was getting the better of Johnson in one of their fights and Johnson deliberately fouled out.
    Do you take his word for that? Because ,before you do you should read the fight report!
    Langford openly said he knocked Johnson down in their fight and it was an even scrap.
    Do you take his word for that? I hope not because Johnson gave him a bad beating flooring him twice for long 9 counts and breaking his nose.He subsequently admitted this." Johnson gave me the only real beating I ever took" Johnson knocked Jeannette down multiple times in their fights why would he be afraid to fight him?
    I'll ask you the same question I've been asking our resident Jack Johnson hater Mendoza for the 9 years I've been on here.
    Show me verified offers of $30,000 [Johnson's asking price for a title defence,]that he refused?
    In 9 years he has yet to produce one!
    Johnson could have fought anyone anywhere if the $30,000 was there for him,but who would promote the fights? Jack Curley? " Two blackmen fighting for the title wont make money "
    JimCofforth? "There is no money to be made in an all coloured heavyweight title fight"
    Tex Rickard."Two blacks wont draw flies".
    If there was good money to be made in promoting a Johnson v Langford or Jeannette fight,why didn't the promoters offer Johnson his $30,000 terms?
    You are perfectly entitled to place the champs where you see fit,my only issue is the erroneous idea that as champion Johnson refused to fight
    Langford,Jeannette ,and Mcvey.
    When I have the verified proof on my book case that this is false.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  15. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    HHHMMMM. I could put him on the honorable mentions.

Problems are...

1. that he has a lot of embarrassing losses.
    2. The Lewis fight was a Don King stoppage. I watched it at the time and the announcers were going nuts, as was I.
    3. It was a post 40 Holmes.

Still, I think he needs to go in the honorables, with I will do later.

By the way, you can always post your own, No need for the logn explanations. Just a simple comparative list.