My Boxing Training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by boxingwizard, May 10, 2009.

1. boxingwizard

boxingwizard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'm trying to watch videos, read, and talk to others about learning how to box. So I figured I should have a training log about what training I'm doing. People are welcome to comment on what I need to improve on doing.
    Sunday May 10
    About 18 minutes of running 15 laps around my house
    4X3 Rounds of doing footwork around the heavybag, no punches, just stance and footwork
    125 sit-ups

2. JN95

JN95 Active Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    just go to a gym you won't learn any other way

3. Blue145

Blue145 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2008
    You got a skipping rope? always a good way to warm up and cool down.. there cheap aswell so theres no excuse !!

4. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Yes, I have one, I'll work on it throughout the week. And the only reason I'm not going to a boxing gym is because there's none in my area. But here's the work I did today
    Monday May 11
    8 30-40 yard sprints with 30 seconds in between sprints, and 2 50 yard sprints
    3X3 Shadowboxing, mainly working on the jab and right hand
    4X3 Heavybag work, working the jab, right hand, attempts at double jabbing, and right hooks and left hooks thrown sparingly, I'm really trying to sit down on my punches now
    150 sit-ups
    Tomorrow I may try some moderate long distance running with more heavybag work.

5. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Tuesday May 12
    15 minutes of skipping rope
    2X3 Shadowboxing for warming up
    4X3 Heavybag work, emphasis on jabs, right hands, and a little more improvement in double jabbing
    100 sit-ups

6. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Wednesday May 13
    16 laps of running around my house(About 20 minutes of running)
    Shadowboxing 2X3 (Warming Up)
    Heavybag work 4X3 Jab emphasis again, right hand emphasis too, attempts at double jabbing at times but clear work on defense

I think I may end up losing too much weight with all this cardio, I'm going to lift weights tomorrow so I can maintain my weight and strength and not get below 165.

7. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Thursday May 14
    More emphasis on weightlifitng for a change today
    Incline bench 5X5
    A few upper body machine sets involving lats, triceps, delts, shoulders, etc... did about 6 or so of those in either 5 X 3 or 5 X 5
    Some freeweights in a 5 X3 shoulder press or a 5 X3 flat bench press
    100 jump-ups on a box
    100 sit-ups

8. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Friday May 15
    Rest
    Saturday May 16
    6X3 on an actual Heavybag. I had trouble at first getting the jab going because of the bag moving back and forth, but I was able to get my rhythm going with it after a couple rounds. I was at my sister's Project Graduation event and they had an actual heavybag there so I used it, it was good and less painful on the wrists than my freestanding bag.
    I also played a couple hours of volleyball where I was moving around running trying to make plays, so there's some unorthodox training as well.

While hitting the heavybag, I hurt one of my muscles in my left shoulder while overextending on a left hook, I think it came from me weightlifting and my muscles being still not fully recovered from it. But it's probably not a tear, as I can throw a left hook today, it's probably just strained, but it's very sore.

9. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Sunday May 17
    I ran 6 laps around a track at the local park, that was about 2 miles of running.
    I did 6X3 rounds on the heavybag, I was able to do some decent one-twos and my jab is devloping everytime I do this.
    100 sit-ups.

10. JN95

JN95 Active Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    You boxing getting any better?

11. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Yes, I'm able to throw a decent one-two now while sitting on my punches. I'm still working on perfecting my jab, it's come a long way, the right hand is something I'm also trying to better, and my left hook isn't so bad or slappy anymore. My right hook was a natural punch for me so it's an easy one to add to a combination. I'll post a video again soon, hopefully by the end of the week or a little later.
    Monday May 18
    2X3 Shadowboxing(Warming up)
    4X3 Heavybag work Jab, working more on throwing a good 1-2, practice of left hooks a little more than usual, they're better and not as slappy anymore, my jab is nearly a snappy one everytime, things are coming more natural now. My right hand still needs a little work, but I'm getting there.
    Session of weightlifting
    Incline bench press of 155 pounds 5X3 times
    Seated rows, both backwards and forwards, on 5X3, one 5X5, abdominal crunch machine, tricep machine, shoulder press, and a couple other machines with 5X 3 reps. Freeweighta with freeweight shoulder press 5X3 and freeweight flat bench 5X3.
    250 hops on a step
    100 sit-ups.
    It was a big day of training.:yep

12. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Tuesday May 19
    15 minutes of skipping rope
    6X3 Heavybag work, trying to speed up the double jab but at the same time working on technique, right hand, and left hook.
    100 sit-ups

13. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Wednesday May 20
    I ran 16 laps around my house which is about 2 miles of running.
    6X3 Shadowboxing

14. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Thursday May 21
    2X3 Shadowboxing
    6X3 Heavybag work
    Weightlifting
    Incline Bench press 155 5X2 150 5X 1
    Pectoral Deltoy, Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Lateral Press, Abdominal Crunches
    Tricep press, Freeweight Shoulder Press, and Freeweight Bench, some 5 X 3, others 10X1/5X2 or 5X5
    250 jumps on a step
    100 sit-ups

15. boxingwizard

Jul 19, 2004
    Friday May 22
    Rest

Saturday May 23
    I ran 6 laps around the track at my local park and that's about 2 miles.
    I did 12 minutes of footwork today circling my heavybag but no punches, it was basically 4X3 except no breaks.