My conversation with Oliver McCall

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Halfordscream

Halfordscream Global Full Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Must have been difficult to avoid the temptation to inform him he was mistaken.

After all, there have been so so so so many "sound" posts made here (on ESB) over a decade that this just isn't true.

And yet, for those in collegiate and later professional sports in the US .. this mistaken view has been the norm and almost universal.

Hard to understand how so many athletes in the US could be so mistaken, right? When a bunch of savvy posters are certain that:

"There has always been the NFL, NBA ... " ignoring the huge growth, expansion, etc. that occurred in these sports .. and the inarguable high end talent competing for jobs and opportunities .. especially with the breaking of segregation and gradual change that occurred in the demographics within these sports from effectively the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. .. (and boy did it change) and the huge business that developed in collegiate football and basketball and its dominate cultural role within the US from generation upon generation.

"Boxing is different ... it is not a ball sport .. " yeah, lol .. nothing difficult or manly about these comparatively wimpy sports like American football and "Net" ball, right? The sacrifice, practice, repetition, conditioning, etc. involved in these sports just pales in comparison with boxing, right? OK .. sure. lol

"Boxing is better today because the whole world (i.e., Russia, Eastern Europe) is in it unlike when the US dominated ..." Actually the reality is that the US interest in boxing has been negligible for a long time. And, it has showed. As the US talent has focused almost 100% upon the other sports we have provided few individuals to the sport. Where is the talent from the rest of the world? Really, where is the talent that makes one really interested to watch? I guess they are all playing soccer .. is that right? Because there has been almost nothing in the world that was boxing ... that made for "can't miss" viewing ... and the US loves entertainment ..

When Tyson was fighting US athletes in the other sports liked to watch him. Why? Because he was a small man fighting larger men. His fierceness was appreciated. Why were the Klitschkos greeted with a huge yawn? Because they were larger than their competition and there was nothing exceptional about their talent or athletic capabilities. That is simply the truth. The US didn't dislike them because they were Russian. They didn't dislike them for having white skin. Athletes in college and the pros in the US just did not find them entertaining or special - AT ALL. How come? Because there were FAR better talent and FAR better athletes competing within the US with even better conditioning and equal or better SIZE.

Try to explain to "posters" on chat boards that Klitschko was extremely underwhelming to US athletes (to put it mildly) and it must be xenophobia or nationalism.

Try to explain that heavyweight boxing in the US is weak because of the appeal of football and basketball (taking all the quality talent) and it just doesn't make proper sense (to so many clueless regular chat board posters). Try talking to US athletes and you'll discover that this explanation has always been understood for many decades now. It is not a topic without an answer. It is not a mystery. It was always understood. Of course, they wouldn't know it was a topic of discussion or controversy .. they weren't spending their spare time on a boxing chat board. They were in training ...

Of course, there is always that stellar argument about ex-athletes in our other sports taking up boxing ... very sound. Such a solid empirical argument with data .. wow.

chuckle

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    dinovelvet likes this.
  2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    great post

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The return of Rob Halford!

4. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Reminds me of this.....
    This content is protected

Saintpat and Seamus like this.
  5. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Interesting story...thanks.

Reminds me of the time I met God. It was at a Captain Beefheart concert at the Filmore East in the lower east side of Manhattan. 1970 or 71 I think. Maybe it was because I had just dropped some acid, maybe not. Could have been the music. Boxing wasn't a topic of discussion.

6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Likely the greatest movie ever.

Great boxing fact: Fred Blassie's lone pro boxing bout was a loss against Tony Galento.

heerko koois likes this.
  7. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I'm a big fan of McCall the guy was a real good fighter if you ask me. Especially leading up to and once he captured the title from Lewis. After that his drug problem seemed to get the best of him yet he was still always a tough out aside from of course round 2 with Lewis. Bit of a shame would've liked to see McCall come in at his best for the rematch couldve been a very interesting fight. Either way much respect to Oliver McCall dude was a badass.

reznick likes this.
  8. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    I've talked to several guys who have boxed Waldo and read many other interviews with trainers and boxers who participated with or against him likewise. None of them, not even the vaunted, unapproachable US athletes, were underwhelmed by him in the regards to his athleticism.

You are obviously extremely tight with real athletes, and not the schlubby kinds the rest of us have rubbed shoulder with. So, why not mention some of these REAL athletes who are extremely underwhelmed.

BCS8, reznick and mrkoolkevin like this.
  9. Heracles

Heracles Debonair banned Full Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Fighters whether it be mma or boxing are some of the most down to earth people I have ever met.

10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Especially the grapplers.

11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Excellent info!

reznick likes this.
  12. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Yes Earnie is huge in person, fists are like blocks.

I still recall a 26 year old Australian poster who used to post for years on boxxrecs boxing history forum once came out with a thread about how tough he was and somehow earnie shavers came into it and he stated smugly and matter of factly " I think I could take a sixtysomething shavers".....lol lmao these kind of guys are a danger to their own health...a 75 year old earnie could still knock out most younger men...earnie was a doorman for many years post retirement here in England..he kept fit and was a huger man in retirement than as the 205 lbs pro heavyweight who looked huge

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Silly billy, reznick and Seamus like this.
  13. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    TRUE but McCall forget to mention the smaller man will need the chin and stamina too. They also need as quick or quicker feet or they will be zoned ( McCall might consider this ring generalship).

Funny, Foreman and Louis were not noted for head movement. As for outbox, sorry not likely vs a skilled super heavy.

Oliver in his 50's right now. He's still in they gym?!

14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't know about athletes but the public, outside of Germany and Russia has definitely been underwhelmed by the Klits.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    And people at the time were underwhelmed by Larry Holmes and Lennox Lewis and even Rocky Marciano. As time passes people will greater appreciate Wladimir's contribution to the sport, a man who dominated the division for a decade.

reznick and BCS8 like this.