My current P4P top 25.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Amsterdam, Aug 24, 2007.

1. anderslundgaard

anderslundgaard Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2007
  2. ozziebattler

ozziebattler Shadow Boxer Full Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Because he is sitting on joes lap...

3. KO Boxing

KO Boxing Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm guessing Head to Head

4. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    De La Hoya has lost 4 of his last 5 fights. No way should he be in the top 25. Above Barrera? That's crazy.

5. KO Boxing

KO Boxing Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    That's very fair. Any list can really move fighters either up and down a few spots. Its all quite subjective... Although Floyd is universally number 1, and despite Oscar having a number of advantages, he did give him a good fight. But yeah, I won't argue with you. That was just my pick. I still personally have him SOMEWHERE in the 25 still. He'd be a threat against any of the top welters if he's telling the truth about moving down.

6. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Fighters sort out their issues in the ring. They can fight their way into the place they want to be.

7. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    The point of P4P is to project who would be the most dominant if everyone was the same size, that is the original point. I applied resume because Pac's resume is deeper than Floyd's, but I also did head to head.

It was a 50/50 mix. P4P should not just be resume(because Hopkins beat a P4P in Wright, who is not a true challenge at this point for the bigger men that Hopkins is classed with, Hopkins will fight within a circle of 'name' opponents), because Hopkins would not beat any young, fresh top LHW at the moment and especially not Cristian Mijares if he were a 175 pounder. The smaller guys get underrated all the time.

8. Stewbear

Stewbear Active Member Full Member

May 5, 2006
    I dont understand how Calzaghe can be above Hatton:huh
    This is only possible if you think he is better, but Hatton has the far better resume so...

9. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    I disagree that he has a better resume, but that's fine, then the H2H comes into play. Calzaghe can jump up and easily beat anyone at LHW, Hatton couldn't do this at WW and is about to be served a brutal stoppage loss to Floyd.

10. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    If they were all the same size - who would be the best? Thats the question right.

The best way to justify the answer is by seeing what the fighter achieves in the ring.

Many fans include H2H but I don't. If the person is as good as you THINK he is then eventually he will PROVE IT in the ring.

For example Cotto does not belong in any ones top 10. He has done NOTHING to suggest he should be. He LOOKS like he is elite but it doesn't mean he IS!

While you THINK P4P Mijares is better than X, X is beating P4P fighters like Tarver and Wright.

11. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    I agree, by proving 'who' they beat. This does not necessarily mean the fighter that they prove themselves against are a member of the fabricated P4P circles that tend to block everyone else from getting a chance for mainly economic reasons, it's an awful cycle.

And most intelligent analysts can at least project with some measure of accuracy who is for real and who is too flawed to be a serious elite factor. I do this all the time, consistently battling with ignorant fanboys and others alike.

Mijarez smoked Arce in a beautiful, brutal one sided fashion, he is currently being heavily avoided because he'd do the same to the rest of division, but his 12 round destruction of Arce has him ranked number 1 in the division, as Arce was number 1. In this bout, he showed all the tools necessary to be dominant champion - skill, heart, chin, speed, stamina and the ability to beat a guy at his own game when Arce was able to press and have a little success in the midrounds. You could maybe give Arce 1 round, but Mijares closed by brutalising him to the point where 11 and 12 should have been 10-8's for Mijares.

Do you think that X defeating Tarver, who again was ranked the highest for the ability to fight with set money making circles and avoid the younger challenges, such as Paul Briggs and Tarver who showed that at the moment he's not far above journeyman level... and then a Winky Wright who is 35 years, a big name an a P4P name of course, but a natural LMW and looked TERRIBLE at 170 in every form even in the weigh in and before the fight happened... compares to what Mijarez did when he smoked Jorge Arce?

I personally don't. The level of fighting ability between Mijares and Hopkins AT THIS POINT is what you'd call 'night and day'. Winky and Hopkins are old and they are getting near the ends of their respective careers, if you wish to be blind and think that both of them are still true P4P fighters, when they are the types that at the moment cash out in 'big name circles', then go ahead, I'm looking a little deeper within this sport.

12. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    What I find funny is how Hopkins 1-0-2 in the Wright, Taylor, Hopkins love triangle ends up being rated the highest.

13. Amsterdam

Jan 16, 2005
    This is precisely what I am getting at Enzo. When Pavlik smokes Taylor, he won't be rated P4P, because Taylor will just get exposed there, but Winky drawing with Taylor does well for his rating.:lol:

If Hopkins were to have comeback and lost to a guy like Erdei, then Hopkins is just old and Erdei's not P4P rated, but if Winky were to have gotten the decision over Hopkins, he'd have jumped up. Likewise in the reversal and anyway you can spin this stuff.

These guys, save for the younger Taylor, are just going to fight 'names' that they can beat but that have a set legacy, no matter where they are truly at physically and they will not be getting in the ring with any true nasty threats. Wright won't be fighting Abraham for example, but since Wright is still in the P4P list for most, if Abraham did KO him, Abraham would not be P4P ranked because even though Wright is STILL ranked top 10, he would then be 'old', as if he wasn't already with that **** performance that Hopkins and Wright gave us.

I am so tired of the above. This type of logic needs to be reworked.

14. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    :-( if u really think Diaz is a bum.

15. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    They aren't really much better than someone like Spinks now.

And Pavlik is shocking too, he is the kind of fighter Calzagthe used to demolish back around 2000 without breaking sweat.