My EDER JOFRE: Brazil’s First Boxing World Champion is now available globally!!

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ChrisJS, Mar 26, 2021.

1. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    If you check your Amazon you might see it arriving over the weekend. I get some texts from Brits saying theirs is expected tomorrow.

Clinton and McGrain like this.
  2. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
  3. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Great stuff @ChrisJS !! Congrats on the book! I'll be sure to purchase on myself. A book on the life of a great fighter like Jofre has been long overdue.

Clinton and ChrisJS like this.
  4. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    Early praise for Eder Jofre: Brazil's First Boxing World Champion. Thanks guys, and if you've read it and enjoyed it, don't be shy to drop the book a review!
    https://www.amazon.com/Eder-Jofre-B...d=1&keywords=EDER+JOFRE&qid=1617886497&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eder-Jofre...d=1&keywords=eder+jofre&qid=1616763722&sr=8-1

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/eder-jofre-christopher-j-smith/1139018286?ean=9781949783056

https://thegruelingtruth.com/boxing...ristopher-smiths-comprehensive-new-biography/

roger esty
    5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Biography I've Ever Read About A Fighter
    Reviewed in the United States on April 6, 2021
    When you pick up a biography and know it's going to be 600 pages long you might think that something of that girth would be reserved for a Lincoln,Napoleon,or a Churchill. But a prize fighter?Don't think I didn't have that in mind when I opened to the first page.It took me maybe a half hour to realize that Smith's efforts were true to the mark. He put Jofre and his life first,not himself. Many of the great sportswriters want to make sure that after reading their stuff that you'll walk away having as much regard for the way they told it as what the subject was all about. Smith stays in the back bringing all his meticulous research to the forefront without stepping out front and wanting to get in the way.As the life of Jofre gets into his twilight the story becomes poignant to the point that it is not just a rote memory of a great fighter's fistic career.It is the story of the man that the sport of boxing has supplemented. Unselfish and unpretentious. Maybe being a little humble is better that wanting to take too much credit.

James
    5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read! A true collectors item on one of the all-time greats!!
    Reviewed in the United States on April 4, 2021
    Verified Purchase
    Although initially the 600+ pages appears a daunting read it really isn’t because the book is so nice. Lots of cool photos and fantastic layout of Jofre’s life and boxing career. The book is an excellent read and a true collectors item on one of boxing’s underrated legends. The backstory of his family was fascinating to me and I got a good feel for what Jofre is/was like as a person throughout this book. Everyone knows he’s a great fighter but you learn to appreciate he’s also a great person. More than an athlete.

I thought I knew quite a lot about Jofre but after reading this book I’ve got to say I am astonished at how little I really did know. Some of the level of details are staggering and can’t have been easy to obtain. I appreciate how much clearly went into this book and am happy to see such a fine champion have such a reference now for boxing fans.

Javier Serrano
    5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive and entertaining biography
    Reviewed in the United States on March 30, 2021
    All aspects of Eder Jofre's life are thouroghly covered in this heavily researched biography. Jofre was a top P4P boxer in an era with fighters like Roberto Duran and Muhammad Ali but very little is information is available about this latin legend in the English language. This book changes that.

This book begins by contextualizing Jofre's boxing roots and tells the entertaining story of his boxing obsessed family. With the career portion broken up into years this book also doubles as a collection of almanacs about Jofre's boxing days and of other fighters around his weight division. Well placed rare photos, images of fight posters and ads take the reader back in time. This book is a must read for anyone interested in boxing history and the lives great fighters from the past.

Amazon Customer
    5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have!!
    Reviewed in the United States on April 2, 2021
    If you love sports, history and biographies you will love this book. This book takes you to a time and place where an immigrant family facing the hardships of living in the slums of Brazil gravitated towards the sport of boxing and eventually producing one of the world's best "Pound for Pound" boxers of the era.

In great detail this book outlines the life and history of Eder Jofre. The book walks you from his humble beginnings through his greatest achievements. While also containing rare photos, articles and posters from the era. It's obvious a lot of time, research
    and passion went into this book. If your a sports fanatic than this book is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Read
    Verified Purchase
    I really enjoyed reading a true boxing story. Beautiful layout and lots of cool photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Read
    Verified Purchase
    I really enjoyed reading a true boxing story. Beautiful layout and lots of cool photos.

Leon Ross
    5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly researched read, brilliant purchase
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 2 April 2021
    Verified Purchase
    This is a superb book that not only details a boxing great but acts as a mirror for South American evolution during the timeframe detailed.

It’s obvious, the author has spent many hours researching and detailing the countless moments that can make the story come to life for the reader.

A must read for any boxing or dare I say sports fan.

Anthony C.
    5.0 out of 5 stars 5* A must for any boxing fan!
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 April 2021
    Verified Purchase
    Fantastic book, filled with loads of images and intricate detail from all of Jofre’s fights and his story. A must read for any boxing fan. A credit to the author for the meticulous research on Jofre’s career. Highly recommended!

Michael Flanagan
    5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every boxing fan
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 5 April 2021
    Verified Purchase
    A superbly written tribute to a boxing great. Little has been written in English about legendary Brazilian bantamweight and featherweight Eder Jofre until now and not only does this fix that it should and will go down as THE chosen literature to read about this incredible man. The level of detail and research from the author shows this was done with care, attention and respect that not only honours the legacy of Jofre but will forever preserve it.

Dagosd2000, San Diego, CA
    ☆☆☆☆☆5 out of 5 stars. · 2 days ago
    Best Boxing Bio Ever
    When I saw that Chris' book was 600pages long.I couldn't fathom how he could do that. 600 pages is usually aimed for the lives of Lincoln,Napoleon,and Churchill.But after

When I saw that Chris' book was 600 pages long I got to thinking.Isn't that girt reserved fot guys like Lincoln,Napoleon,or Churchill?But I took the plunge anyway.
    Getting warmed up I was hooked after a half hour or so.. Chris doesn't just give us a rote memory library extraction of a lot of facts.He delves into the heart and soul of Eder Jofre and the people who touched him. The value is with how Chris approached his subject. Chris was always in Jofre's corner but never stepped in front with any phoniness of conveyance.Many biographers,especially the boxing ilk,want to show everyone that they can land punches and possess sturdy chins. They want to equate themselves with the Alis,Marcianos,and Sugar Rays with their sly rhetoric.When it gets to that it's time to put the book back on the shelf.Chris has written a honest and unpretentious biography of one the most understated fighters who ever climbed into the ring.Bravo

Rick Farris, Los Angeles, CA
    ☆☆☆☆☆5 out of 5 stars. · 8 days ago
    West Coast Boxing HOF 2021 "Book Of The Year"!
    The first boxing book I read was Floyd Patterson's biography, "Victory Over Myself" in 1962 . I checked it out at the library, and it was so good it motivated me to become a a boxer.
    In the years since, I have read hundreds of boxing books & publications and have enjoyed so many it was my goal to honor a "Book of the Year" at every West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame event, which we have done.
    We have honored great books at every event and Chris Smith's brilliant biography/text book/novel will be awarded at our October 17th event.
    I must say, this book is the best boxing publication I have ever read. It is a must for ALL boxing historians, as it isn't just a biography, it is a text book of boxing history. You not only have stories, but statistics and accurate history from reliable sources that were a part of it all.
    You can order your copy by using the Amazon link provided here.
    It is the perfect gift for those who love boxing!
    There are over 600 pages and hundreds of photos and images. It is a thick, hard cover book, with the perfect sized print for reading comfortably.
    Rick Farris
    President
    West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame

5. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Simply superb. Thank you, Chris

ChrisJS likes this.
  6. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Tudo bem!!!! Otimo, cara. VIVA SAO PAULO

ChrisJS likes this.
  7. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Chris, do you remember Vic-Jofre? Great poster who has not been here for a few years. He would have LOVED this

8. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    Yeah, I remember seeing his posts. I would always read but didn’t start posting myself until about three years ago.

Clinton likes this.
  9. Scott Cork

Scott Cork Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 3, 2021
    Is there any other boxers who you'd like to do a book on?

10. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    I have a few in mind and a few I’ve spoken to regarding this and are receptive. I’ll give news soon enough.

11. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    How do I get an inscribed copy?

12. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    From myself? Where are you located? All orders now must come from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I only had 50 to distribute myself. They all got taken.

I will be hosting Eder in October so anyone who can be in LA can meet us and get it signed by both otherwise we can maybe arrange something where people either mail the book to me or perhaps I can send signed bookplates to people?

13. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018
    This content is protected

roughdiamond and fists of fury like this.
  14. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018

15. ChrisJS

Sep 11, 2018