My first amatuer boxing match

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Jas0121, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Jas0121

Jas0121 New Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Well I've had one previous boxing charity kinda fight so I definitely know the nerves behind a fight. It wasn't amatuer of course. But this Friday it is, So I just want to know the run down of the day. Is there any more medical tests etc.? And also any tips would be great.

2. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    there's a lot of factors to this. like, what country are you in, etc?

USA: generally there is a weigh-in (9am for an afternoon show, 1-4pm for an evening show), then a pre-fight medical usually right after the weigh-in cut off time, then you'll have a couple of hours before the fights begin. hopefully you'll get your match confirmed with the bout sheet at least an hour before but might be closer to time of event start.

it shouldn't be too far different from the charity event if it was sanctioned by your NGB.

Jas0121 likes this.
  3. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Everything BoxinScienceUSA wrote should be expected, but another thing you should prepare yourself for is some "hurry up and wait." A lot of amateur promoters will want you there early and then you will often have to wait. If you get weighed on time, a lot of the time, the doctor will be late. Some fighters will plan to eat, or relax after the physical and before the fight starts, but sometimes the physical will run almost to the time to show up for the fight. This won't happen every time, but know it can happen and don't let it throw you off if it does.

Good luck with your fight.

Jas0121 and BoxinScienceUSA like this.
  4. BoxinScienceUSA

Apr 22, 2011
    "hurry up and wait" is a very good point.

just for the fun of it, here's suggestions I give my boxers. if you're on point with weight you can show up closer to the end time of scheduled weigh-ins. if you are starving or dehydrated then get there as early as you can. Subway isn't the best but there's usually always one around. I tell them to get a 12" and get the lettuce on the side (so its not warm and soggy by the time you eat it). eat half of it as soon as you weigh-in, before the doctor. then about an hour later you can eat the other half. even if you're starving break the two portions into two sittings. chew it really well, and give it the best chance to digest. of course play with these times with common sense. if you're the first bout, try not to eat that second half too close to event start time, etc. but if you're empty and you chew it well, it'll help.

again, this is a conversation just for fun. do what sounds comfortable for you, and primarily listen to your real coach (not some guy on the internet, lol). Your first couple of matches, your mental comfort and confidence is most important.

Jas0121 and Pat M like this.
  5. Jas0121

Jul 25, 2017

Thank you so much. I am based in the UK and doors open around half 7. What is included in the pre medical as I wear contacts.

6. BoxinScienceUSA

Apr 22, 2011
    as long as they are soft contacts you should be fine. just note that if you lose a contact during action, will you still be able to go forward with the match? do you lose them when you spar? if the ref asks if you can still fight, what will your answer be?

not for this match, but if you are near sighted try training without them. it doesn't matter if your opponent is blurry from across the ring as long as you can see him relatively clearly standing an arms length in front of you.

do you guys in the UK do an annual registration medical? I would assume so since you have free health care. if you passed the annual medical with your eyes then you should be good with the pre-bout physical.

Jas0121 likes this.
  7. Jas0121

Jul 25, 2017
    Yeah well I've lost them multiple times during sparring and even during my first fight. It hasn't phased me much. And it's a day before fight night here in the uk and I also did the annual medical with my contacts in and nothing went wrong

8. BoxinScienceUSA

Apr 22, 2011
    good luck. let us know how it goes.

Pat M likes this.
  9. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    relax, use your jab, work the body, and do not go wild.

10. Jas0121

Jul 25, 2017
    I lost the fight yesterday on points to a a guy with more experience I recon. It's all learning.

Pat M and BoxinScienceUSA like this.
  11. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Don't worry about losing your first one, lots of boxers lose their first one and lots of boxers lose a lot of amateur fights period. The 95-1, 200-5 type amateur records you hear/read about are usually not accurate. There is no "official" record keeper in amateur boxing (at least there isn't in the U.S.) other than your amateur pass book. Don't worry about it when you read about some pro with a fantastic amateur record. It's probably embellished.

If you learned something it's all good. Good luck with your next one!

BoxinScienceUSA likes this.