My Opinion on Usyks choice to switch trainers

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I saw clips of usyk in the amatures. I noticed he through more single shots and focused on outboxing his opponents.

Usyk vs Beterbiev . , Usyk vsJoyce. Usyk. Vs Glowacki.

Usyk in those fights focused on outboxing his opponents with great leg movement as well he threw fast single shots and focused on countering his while they come forward .

Then in 2017 usyk went to be with anatoly lomachenko to be trained by him .

Ever since usyk switched with anatoly i feel hes switched usyks game plan not in a good way either .

Hunter , briedis, bellew. Witherspoon

In all these fights usyk got hit more than he usually does

More volume of punches

More aggressive

Come forward

All these things have changed from the older usyk . i think anatoly change in usyk is a bad one .i don't think it was the best choice.

In fact i think the way usyk use to fight .

Backfoot. ,lesser punches. More counters catch them coming in .

I think thats the way to beat these big boys

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Loma has the best defensive stats in history percentage wise using this style, he has a (being hit) percentage of only 16.5%, Usyk has a good defense he`s just not as good using that style as Loma is.

Dance84 likes this.
  3. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Make the Cold War great again. Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    It's gonna be tough for hi at heavyweight because of his lack of power. Usyk is gonna be a dancer and will mostly have to work his opposition into exhaustion.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Apples to oranges?

Short am fights vs 12 round pro fights vs top comp minus Witherspoon

Of course he will get hit more

Plus with age he has to adjust maybe high movement is not sustainable for 12 rounds

5. Dance84

Oct 11, 2017

Apples vs oranges ? I also meant before he switched with anatoly lomachenko.

He was more conservative and technical then . now hes just outputting volume

6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Usyk has had about five different trainers in his short career which is only further testament to what a talent he is given all he's achieved and who he's beaten and even more so when you factor in he beat them all in their backyards. It's crazy that he's gone through that many trainers in only 17 fights.

It's hard to keep track of who he's worked with for which fights.

I think this is all correct but I might be wrong

Papachenko trained him for his pro debut against Filipe Romero.

Then James Ali Bashir trained him right up until the Mchunu fight.

Then Russ Anber trained him for the Hunter fight after he parted ways with Bashir.

Then Sergey Vatamanyuk was his head trainer for the Huck and Briedis fights.

Then I think Papachenko trained him for Gassiev. Abner was the one in the ring in between rounds but Papachenko was leaning over the ropes giving him instructions.

Then it was some other dude whose name I can't remember who trained him for Bellew and Witherspoon.

But word on the street is he's been working with Papachenko all along or at least spends a certain amount of time with him before each fight working on things and receiving advice. I'm not 100% sure that's true but I think t definitely has been the case for many of his pro outings.

Personally I like the Bashir trained Usyk and the Papachenko trained one. Bashir is an adherent of the hit and don't get hit school of thought and Usyk utilized his movement very well under him IMO and didn't get hit much at all. But he, along with his countrymen and close buddies Loma and Gvozdyk, was instructed to be more aggressive and exciting to try and win over the US market and he has been more flat-footed working behind a high guard in a number of his fights since then which I've never been happy about.

I like how he boxed against Glowacki

This content is protected

Dance84 likes this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Amateur to pro?

8. Neon Maniac

Neon Maniac Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2020
    That wouldn’t really indicate that. Usyk is a heavyweight fighting guys with bigger reaches then Loma who is 5 foot nothing and has no weight to him ,making him more elusive. If you walk forward at heavyweight giving away size and stand up right you are going to get hit. Usyk is going to need to find the style that suits him ,but he’s definitely going to take shots more at heavyweight no matter what .

Dance84 likes this.
  9. Dance84

Oct 11, 2017
    I know he meant that. But i did mention glowacki fight as well. Also did say usyk changed his fighting style since going in with anatoly 2017. Usyk was still pro for a bit before that

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This content is protected

WhataRock and Dance84 like this.