My Top 50 HWs?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Sep 14, 2020.

1. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    So you'd be comfortable with picking the version of Jack Johnson, who struggled with Hank Griffin and lost to old Joe Choynski, over prime James Jeffries?

You know what Jeffries did to the same version of Hank Griffin?

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Is it just names? because the state of Lennox’s best wins is shallow bar Vitali in my eyes not trying to start a war I’m just curios why you rate Lennox so highly.

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Well, it all comes down to how I rate wins. I rate them by how I perceive them H2H at the time Lewis beat them. For example, I'd pick Tua to obliterate Rex Layne, but Layne objectively achieved more than him and beat better fighters than Tua did. I find Tua better H2H (IE: harder to beat), but Layne greater. So, I rate Tua as a better win. That's just an example though.

I tend to see Lewis' wins over Bruno, Mercer, Tua, Rahman and Rudduck impressive, as I find them guys really good H2H. Then of course, he beat Vitali (in his final fight, no less) who I think is probably one of the best H2H ever. And the Holyfield he beat would go on to beat a few decent names after that, and wasn't too far removed from beating some brilliant names before. Good win, plus, it's Evander ****in Holyfield. I had that rematch a draw.

Then Lewis was clearly the best of his era, and had the best win of the next era. I also like that he beat everyone he fought. Adds a little something, even though I don't care too much about that kind of thing. Nice little icing on the cake though.

He'd be three if he beat Bowe in the early 90s, and two if he beat Bowe, Tyson and Holyfield.

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Jurgen Braymar.. The guy Nate Clevery folded up like a deckchair

5. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I said confidently after 1903, where those losses were a memory and after which he improved.

6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    You also said that maybe even before that.

7. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    In terms of hand speed, it is.

8. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Non of the best wins you listed where at there bests or even very good bar Vitali and an aged Holy, I like your logic tho and I’d like to also see your card for Evander Lennox #2 never heard anyone say it was a draw and wouldn’t that be a knock against Lewis?

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I clearly rate those guys much higher then. I think them all very good fighters.

And yes, it would be a knock on Lewis, but I don't really take losses and draws into account. I don't think they take away from a legacy too much, plus Lewis did win officially. My card (which is below) just shows that I found Holyfield still world level at that particular time.

I know it may look like the criteria is pandered to put Lewis at #4, but I promise it's not like that loool.

10. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    I’ll need to review the fight again myself before I judge your card personally, but yes I think you clearly think highly of those fighters unlike myself, boxing is full of these silly disagreements ATGs to some are another eras journeyman in extreme cases haha.

George Crowcroft likes this.