My top fifteen heavyweight jabs.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Your observational abilities never fail to amuse me.

Firstly, Wlad controlled the division, primarily through his jab and great footwork, for a decade. That fact alone defines him as one the greatest heavies and also greatest jabbers in the history of the sport. If you want to joust the windmills of history, have at it. Just don't be surprised that no one cares for your efforts.

Beyond this basic, irrefutable fact, Wlad had anything but a stiff European jab. He was adept at doubling, tripling, at changing speeds, at using it as an opener for other punches or as power punch itself. And he had a terrific hook off the jab.

If you want to criticize Wlad, there are other avenues more fruitful and certainly none more fruitless than to criticize his jab and the results it brought.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    To a large degree, all Thomas really had was a jab. He is most noted for the explosive "shotgun jab" but when needed he could peck away and pile up points. Very accurate, also.

Take a look. Apart from an occasional out-of-the-blue powerful right hand, a rare occurance, almost everything he accomplished was with that left lead.

mcvey likes this.
  3. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Its all well and good to wax lyrical on the superlatives but under scrutiny these Klitschko obsessed brain farts don't hold any weight.

A blind man could see Wlad controlled the division via illegal clinch box. His jab was the most least effective tool in his entire box and the claim can be 100% verified through footage and statistics.

What the hell is going on here for example??

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/03/wladimir-clinched-15-times-in-the-1st-round-against-mormeck/

Where's the jab control?

Now im no blind hater or the flip side to fanatical fanboi's like you and Mendoza and fully know he was capable of throwing a jab , you can definitely give Wlad credit for having a decent jab back around the 2000-02 era.

But to say he controlled his championship reign with nothing but a jab and movement is complete dishonest fallacy of the highest order.

Once his comp got better after the McCline fight , he realised his jab was no good to keep guys off him so abandoned it for his renowned bear hug strategy. Even Manny knew this and thats why he was trained more to be a squidder than a jabber.
    The bottom line is - no guy who failed to hold off a bum like Peters with a jab can ever be called an ATG jab artist. It is what it is.

4. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    It's a decent list. I'd replace Vitali with Foreman.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Perry is pretty much Anti modern boxers, and boxers not based in the USA or UK.

What you wrote is spot on.

6. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Foreman did not use his jab much in his first career, to paraphrase him " My jab pushed the other guy out of range, so I didn't use the punch often "

In his second career in the 1990's, Foreman made better use of the punch. His jab was solid, and a tad slow. But was it a difference maker in any of his fights in the 1990's?

Foreman did not out jab Tommy Morrison, Alex Shultz, Moorer, Holyfield, and avoided a fight with Holmes.

Essentially he cherry picked slower footed fighters that were easy to hit and probably deserved to lose on points to Alex Stewart.

7. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Often wondered about this guy myself, the footage ive seen is obviously old , but doesnt match up to all you hear.

8. GordonGarner65

GordonGarner65 Active Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Angelo often seemed to talk B/S

9. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    How's that coming on?

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Happy Easter to those that celebrate.

There were so many good right crosses, I'll have to think about it to give it justice.

I'll see if I can post something next week.

11. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Lol. I thought you were making a Easter joke there for a moment. What with crosses at Easter. :)

Anyway looking forward to see what you come up with. No rush though.Take your time.

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Ali had the best jab.

Of all hwt champions only he had the consistent lateral movement that allowed him to batter an opponent at angles constantly. Ali jab was powerful enough to slice and dice an opponents features. His jab was also the quickest as it was measured as quicker than SRR jab.

Louis, Liston, Foreman may have had more powerful jabs but power is only one of many criteria when deciding who had the "best" jab.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Liston,Foreman.Young ,Bugner, Lyle, both Fosters,all had good jabs.
    Think I'll go for Holmes as having the best.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Liston had a great jab, agreed, even if past it ! Bob faster jabbed with Ali at times getting the better at times too. ALis jab was good but could be walked through at times. Holmes jab hurt