My very rough copy of the Top 50 Boxers of All Time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sweet Pea, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    Zarate and especially Gomez were right on the edge, I was debating Gomez with one of the last couple picks. And Barbados Joe is the Walcott.

2. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Well there you go, the WBO disputed it, thus he was not undisupted. But he was in most people who know about the sport eyes, the recognized Heavyweight Champion of the World.

3. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm glad you see the light brother, archie moore was the de la hoya of his era, both men have outstanding resumes but they lost to basically the 5 best fighters they have ever faced.

Your top 50 is actually one of the best ive seen, i would only make a few changes. Like ranking monzon and carlos ortiz higher, jimmy wilde and bob fitszimmons lower.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Ok, Zarate is likely number 1 or 2 Bantam (an original weight category) in history with all things considered. He's definitely worthy of thought. His record is brilliant.

5. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Basilio IS a top 50 fighter imo. Beat Robinson, Willaims, Demarco, Saxon and Lenkins, Pretty hard fighters over all. Amazing resume, and a 2 divsion champ.

Feel Walker is in the top ten imo.

6. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    His record is brilliant, his competition isn't as good. I would put Gomez over Zarate personally.

7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    It's close, i'd fit both in my 50 i think. Good efforts so far tho and some good points have been made in here. I still can't have McCallum over the likes of Holmes, Rocky and Spinks tho.

8. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

Sweet Pea, thanks for explaining why you rank Ray Leonard above Archie Moore.
    Still, I'm not at all
    convinced.

I dont buy that Moore lost to about every top fighter he faced. That he "lost to the best he faced" means little in comparison to Ray Leonard, who only took on the best for a brief window of time. I mean, Moore faced Marciano and Patterson within a 12 month period and fought something like 8 or 10 times in between ! And that's typical through his career for about 15 or 20 straight years !

9. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    I think McCallum is very underrated. Both in a head to head, skill-wise sense, and resume wise. He beat a lot of top 154 and 160 pounders in his day. You may be right though about not ranking above Marciano, not sure about Spinks though. That's why this is a very rough copy.

10. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Don't worry about Spinks the heavyweight, that title was the icing on his P4P greatness cake. He beat Braxton and Muhammad at 175, cleaned up and unified as well. The only man to be 175 and heavyweight world champ. McCallum, tho unlucky not to get a chance, never beat the biggest names of his time. I can understand him making the list, he has a great second tier resume, possibly my point is i'd have Spinks higher than he is rather than rant on McCallum. McCallum is a fine fighter of course.

11. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Holyfield above Hearns and Holmes? And Spinks above Holmes? All in all its decent.

12. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    Yes, Holyfield above both, certainly. Resume better than Hearns for sure. Spinks beat Holmes at least once, after moving up from dominating LHW, so P4P, I have him slightly ahead.

13. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Holyfield is too inconsistant for me to rate him above those people. The way I look at it, 4 time champion, that means you would have had to have lost the title 4 times.

14. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    That's just at Heavyweight. At Heavyweight I rank Holmes above him easily. But Holyfield was the clear cut best CW of all time prior to moving up to HW and making an arguable case as a top 10 HW of all time. Therefore, P4P he ranks above Holmes.

15. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Yeah but whats ur reason for ranking bob fitszimmons and jimmy wilde so high though. They are more based on praise, than actual resume. Fitzsimmons may have been a 3 division champ, but its not like he beat the atgs. Wilde was pretty padded up too. Carlos Ortiz accomplished more than both imo.

Locce, loi, elorde, ramos, laguna and joe brown, these are all the men the guy beat. I personally rank him in my top 20. Crushes the resume of a jimmy wilde or fitsmimonns for that matter.