Myung-Woo Yuh Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mckay_89, Mar 3, 2011.

1. doug.ie

doug.ie 'Classic Boxing Society' Full Member

Apr 1, 2008
    great highlight video

2. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I think his defence was at least adequate. The only fighters I really saw tee off on him on occasion were significantly taller than him, and I put the first Gamez fight down as a bad night considering he totally outclassed him in the rematch. Yuh's best form of defence was to attack, and like the majority of offensive minded fighters, he was no stranger to getting hit. Never down, never seen him hurt in 23 fights.

I always thought that Yuh had a lot more skills and was a lot more thoughtful in the ring than often given credit for. He's a wonderful counter-puncher, effective jab when he uses it, and against the likes of Oh Kon Son and Gamez, his reflexes were cat like. Even when he'd be in against better opposition and the fight would have deteriorated into a "I hit you, you hit me" type of affair almost, Yuh would do something cute among the barrages, like land a lead uppercut inside and then duck underneath his opponents hook. You could definitely see the fighters quality.

3. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Of course, i said earlier in the thread to you that his classical counter punching is brilliant, i mentioned his great jab too, and his combo ability, and his accuracy. I'm not shitting on the guy. He didn't mind getting hit is all i'm pointing out, he must have one of the best chins i've seen in the history's division so it didn't have any implications on how effective he was.

4. Addie

Jun 14, 2006
    Yeah, I was really just droning on about Yuh rather than disputing anything you actually said. I should have made it more clear.

5. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    It's all good, you know how defensive i get:lol:

adfmittedly i have been over critical in this thread, blatantly to defendy my stance after being called out by Buja:lol:

6. lora

lora Fighting Zapata Full Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Yuh had a sound defence technically, he just didn't have notable reflexes or a safety-first approach.

Incidentally, i think he would have matched up well with Carbajal had that fight come off, which seemed likely at one point.Yuh arguably did have the best chin in the division and was busy and technically sound enough to outwork the robotic leaden footed carbajal.The only thing that really gives me pause is he didn't fight a puncher of that calibre.

7. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    Yeah, Carbajal is quality with the composite punching he puts in, he would be finding Yuh with multiple heaby shots, but Yuh would not have a problem smashing home his stuff either, interesting fight to call.

8. lora

Feb 17, 2010
    He was but he began to wait too long for the big punch and neglected it.

9. Addie

Jun 14, 2006
    Carbajal was the hardest hitter in the divisions history in my opinion, a very sharp puncher, and would look fairly big in the ring with Yuh. Both fighters could find their shots, but I think Carbajal would shrug off most of it, whereas Yuh never went anywhere near a ring with someone who could punch like Carbajal. I'd have to favor Little Hands of Stone...and probably by stoppage. As Lora says, Carbajal would start to neglect his abilities and rather look for the one punch, this seemed to happen after he scored a line of brutal stoppages, but the Carbajal of Kittikassem was very good, and I'd have to favor him over Yuh...but I'm not confident.

10. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    I lean towards this myself. Have to say though that just because he never faced a puncher like that doesn't mean he can't, but if the fight were happening tomorrow i'd go with you because that is a big question mark for me. Plus, as i've said earlier i don't think Carbajal has a big problem finding the target, even though i acknowledge the fact that Yuh used good offense as a good defense.

11. lora

Feb 17, 2010
    He's so sluggish though.Never underestimate his ability to get thoroughly outmaneauvered.

Then again i don't think Yuh was a crafty fighter, more a technically sound workhorse.He may just try and fight his usual fight when it might suit him to adapt slightly as Gonzalez found out.I reckon the Korean would prevail over a series of fights.

Kittikasem always had a weak chin though and pretty much sucked at light Fly.Weight drained, no durability and raw skills.

I agree Carbajal circa that time was the best we saw of him and would be best suited to fighting Yuh.

12. Addie

Jun 14, 2006
    I don't see Yuh being the man to totally outmaneuver Carbajal, though. I could see him prevailing through long periods with angles and combinations, whilst Carbajal would do his usual thing of sitting in the pocket, tucking his chin in, and waiting for his turn. Carbajal could conceivably brush all of this off with no problem though, and there's going to be times in a 12 round fight when Carbajal gets his shots off, and we go on about Yuh's chin, but who was ever qualified to test it? He never really fought a big hitter, certainly not one on Carbajal's level. Yuh was not an elusive target, after all.

Maybe just a case of Carbajal being too strong...either that or I'm totally wrong.

13. lora

Feb 17, 2010
    What do you think about Yuh vs Gonzalez or Gushiken?

14. Addie

Jun 14, 2006
    I haven't seen enough of Gushiken to really comment,, but I would favor Yuh over Gonzalez. He's even more sluggish than Carbajal, a bit slower, and doesn't quite hit as hard. Gonzalez's chin issues probably wouldn't come into play here, but I can see Yuh beating him to the punch, and maybe favoring more of an outside altercation rather than going hammer and tong. Yuh had some skills on the outside, a decent jab as we've said, and could bring combination's behind it.

If Yul Woo Lee and Kwang Sun Kim can cause havoc against Gonzalez, then I can see Yuh finishing the job. Athletic enough to outmaneuver Gonzalez, I think.

15. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    I agree with Addie, i definitely don't see Yuh putting any form of clinic against Carbajal.

Going by Gushikens one defeat i could comfortable say that Yuh has a fine chance of going through him at 108, Pedro Flores isn't even on Yuh's level of offensive capability. Either that or Gushiken has a field day, can't see it though, Yuh has chin to spare.

Gushiken might just pick punches all day against Carbajal though.