Name a boxer you're convinced is NOT "juicing".....

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ElCyclon, May 11, 2021.

1. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    My personal assumption is that most boxers do not use. I was a boxer and participated in other sports at high levels and never met anyone who used PEDs. I was high level runner through high school, could have done it in college. Wrestling through college and competing in the national tournament to qualify for the Olympics, trained with UFC champions after college, had an amateur boxing career and trained with high level professional boxers. Never met anyone who used PEDs. Why I think that is? Because they are skill sports and it's hard to make up ground against fighters with just physical advantages. You need to put in the work to be more skilled than your opponents and PEDs can't do that for you.

Now does that mean there aren't users, no of course not. Especially if we are talking at a high level boxers who are getting paid by sponsors, have high level promoters, can pay for lawyers, nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches, all those guys know the rules. This is my take, it would be easy for guys to get away with it because testing is not that rampant. However the list for banned substances is so long it's pretty easy to get popped for something. In college I couldn't drink Vitamin Water because it had banned substances in it. Vitamin Water is basically like Gatorade. When Canelo got caught with clenbuterol I was surprised to learn that many farmers in Mexico use clenbuterol to grow their cattle. A weekend eating tacos in TJ could have got me in trouble. (That's not an excuse for Canelo, his trainer was a butcher and they have a whole legal team). However for regular boxers starting out it would be easy to get in trouble. That's why most trainers, nutritionists, and strength and conditioning coaches stress for the athletes to eat natural foods. For the most part I felt that was the culture, at least with the people I trained with.

So in my experience I think most boxers don't use, but I'd say the guys who did use should have faced stiffer penalties because they know the rules and they have highly paid teams to help them with that.

2. GGGfans

GGGfans Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Johann Duhaupas. A career made with ridiculous means.
    He was tested six times against Wilder, and still negative (more than one champion got caught in his place).
    So admittedly he was never part of the elite, but after his victory against Helenius he was 4th WBC heavyweight, it is not nothing.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  3. IHaveAscreenName804

IHaveAscreenName804 Member banned Full Member

May 1, 2021
    James Toney started his career at 160 and got up to 250 if not more.

Andy Ruiz started his career at 290 and Chris started his career at 236. Neither guy had to add on weight to become a heavy weight. James Toney did. Neither Ruiz or Arreola bodies have become more muscular over their careers. I doubt either is on the juice.

4. IHaveAscreenName804

May 1, 2021
    Chris failed for using weed. I don't recall him failing a steroid test.

5. Tyson Fury Goat

Tyson Fury Goat Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 21, 2017
  6. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Anybody found Whytes B Sample yet?

Sap1en likes this.
  7. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Toney didnt weigh 160 naturally though,he wasjilling himself making weight.
    He was a 200 lb football player in high school.

8. IHaveAscreenName804

May 1, 2021
    Right as a a boxer he weighed 160 pounds. I didn't ask how much he weighed when he played football. You do realize boxing and football are two different sports right? You can be a fat butt in football. If you get tired you can sit on the bench with a oxygen mask on your face. If you are fat in boxing and get tired then that is on you. You will have to wait until the round is over and even then you can't use a oxygen mask.

johnny_o likes this.
  9. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    I take the opposite view that most boxers are not juicing and those that are fail the drugs tests.

10. First Round KO

First Round KO Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
  11. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Again I have no reason to believe they did. And often tell folks including on this website it is wrong to assume guilt just because someone is muscular-barring specific evidence or good circumstantial evidence like gaining muscle too fast when already bulky.

Unfortunately someone can be heavy & still add strength & or muscle-A-Rod took steroids that maximized strength while minimizing added bulk-& it is impossible to know if folks took something.

Although many do not, & if I had to guess, I would say those 2 are innocent.
    Some also dabble with limited effects...

12. The G-Man

Jul 24, 2020
    You seemed to imply he got up from middleweight to heavyweight via roids.
    My point was is he never really was a middleweight.

The Real Lance likes this.
  13. IHaveAscreenName804

May 1, 2021
    My point is as a boxer he was a middleweight and that is why he spent years fighting at middleweight. Weighing a certain weight for football doesn't equate to that being the weight you should be as a boxer.

johnny_o likes this.
  14. The G-Man

Jul 24, 2020
    No,but you cn imagine if at 18-19 he was 200 lbs what a struggle it was at 25 tocmake 160?

15. ElCyclon

ElCyclon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 2, 2012

Frankly, I don't know much about it. Therefore I'm merely observing while class is in session.

johnny_o likes this.