Name An Heavyweight, That Stops Foreman Of The Lyle Fight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Storm-Chaser

Storm-Chaser Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2022
    To be honest, Foreman was very rusty in this fight, and it exposed a serious flaw that Lyle capitalized on, which almost cost Foreman the whole fight. If you notice, Foreman would throw a left and Lyle would come right over the top with an overhand right to counter. Lyle has a very strong overhand right, and this is the punch that staggered foreman at the end of the first round. Lyle continued to hit Foreman like that throughout the rest of the fight.

Still, I do not think he was not outclassed by anyone on this list and here are my predictions:

I'll start with the big names

Sonny Liston - Foreman KO in 3rd round (foreman knew his weaknesses)
    Vitali Klitschko - Foreman K0 in the first round (first 30 seconds) + broken nose
    Mike Tyson - Put it this way, these two would never go the distance. Someone is getting knocked the **** out
    Muhammad Ali - After fixing the ropes, Foreman would have no problem delivering crushing blows to the body of Ali. Foreman KO Ali in the 5th round after softening him up
    Joe Louis - Joe wins on a split decision
    Larry Holmes possibly - Foreman KO in the first round and broken jaw and missing teeth
    Lennox Lewis - even but Foreman would in on points
    Riddick Bowe - broken ribs

Some others that might of been interesting. Some of the damage Foreman will inflict:

Razor Ruddock - Fight would go the distance but Foreman would have commanding lead
    Oliver McCall - McCall would start crying
    Ray Mercer - Foreman would test that granite jaw to the breaking point
    Deontay Wilder - Foreman KO in 5, Foreman would throw him around the ring like a rag doll.

:beer-toast1:

:D

Tockah likes this.
  2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Jesus this post fell apart after the first paragraph.

Tockah, turpinr and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  3. Storm-Chaser

Sep 5, 2022
    I was half joking, lol sorry about my lame attempt at humor!

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Well George did say he'd never been hit as hard as he was, with right hands against Lyle.
    He says that he he got knocked down twice and was fatigued.
    If I hit him he'd start hitting me back, and he had power, something I hadn't been affected with before that.

5. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    There definitely a few guy on your list that could possibly stop that version of George.
    Mike Tyson either gets crushed himself or stops him.
    Lennox has the power as did Liston.

ikrasevic and turpinr like this.
  6. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Despite showing a ton of heart that wasn't a very good performance by George. Besides the big names mentioned someone like Ray Mercer would have a chance.

Tockah, swagdelfadeel and Fergy like this.
  7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    No your right, it wasn't George at his best. Tho he does say it was his greatest night. Getting off the floor to win.

8. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Tyson
    Vitali
    Ibeabuchi

9. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    How do you think the prime version of old Cuban southpaw Luis Ortiz would have done in his prime against this version of George Forearm? Ortiz was known as the knockout man a few years back.

10. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Few fighters would have taken the approach to Foreman that Lyle did. Essentially, a boxer-puncher, Lyle was particularly aggressive and quickly became the pressure fighter in there, against Big George.

I'd expect many to have been more cautious, e.g. Holmes, Lewis, Vitali K, altering the complexion of the fight that we saw between Foreman and Lyle.

The exceptions might be:

- Louis
    - Liston
    - Tyson

Of these three, I would give Louis the best chance of coming out on top of the kind of barnstormer, Foreman and Lyle put on.

11. Storm-Chaser

Sep 5, 2022
    Still shocking to me that Foreman was floored twice in the 4th round and got back up to win it. And those were hard knockdowns, no mistake about that. Face it, he took a lot of punishment that would have easily KOd lesser heavyweights.

I think the style of the fight and the pure punching that went on between both men was exactly what the public wanted to see. It was also what George needed to continue fighting at the time. Of course, he was stopped by Jimmy Young, but everyone knows Young is more of a "points stealer" and not a real boxer.

12. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Alot of people forget that the 2nd round was only 2 minutes long, and at that point Foreman had Lyle on the verge of being stopped. It's like fate intervened and gave Lyle the benefit of the doubt, so us fans could witness one of the greatest Heavyweight slugfests of all time.

Man_Machine and Storm-Chaser like this.
  13. Storm-Chaser

Sep 5, 2022
    You mean like a Fergy vs Foreman scenario in a fight?

Fergy likes this.
  14. Storm-Chaser

Sep 5, 2022
    My favorite part of the fight:
    skip to 15:26

This content is protected

15. Tockah

Tockah Ingo's Bingo Full Member

Mar 12, 2022
    The McCall gave it away lmao