Name light heavy champs that could have beat McCallum more convincingly than RJ did in `97

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    This is such a bad post. You're turning yourself into a troll on this forum. Up your game.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Cotto threw far more shots against Canelo than Hopkins or Toney did v Roy and Cotto also went on to land more on Floyd thanB-hop or Toney did on Roy, both were very negative against Roy.

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    ;)

4. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Do you think the fact they were exposing themselves to Jones's counters every time they opened up may have contributed to their negativity?

Maybe Jones should be given a bit of credit for making Toney and Hopkins fight overly cautious fights and for easily defeating both while shipping minimal punishment. That sounds like winning at boxing to me.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Canelo had far more moves v GGG than Hopkins or Toney showed v Jones,Hopkins wasn`t at his best yet and Toney offered nothing, he had no gameplan, Canelo`s prep for GGG was more thorough.

6. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Of course Canelo offered more.

Why?

Because he was fighting a lesser fighter.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  7. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    I'll let you figure out why that was.

8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I agree with what you`re saying apart from the stuff about Floyd, for me he`s certainly one of the top 10 greatest fighters P4P in history.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Well Pea could escape the ropes better than Roy, who against Griffin just lay on the ropes with his hands up missing counters and being caught too much. Mayweather was far better than Roy with his baxck on the ropes also.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    GGG`s jab is far better than Roy`s was.

11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    No it wasn't. It's just that Roy barely used his.

At 25 years of age, Roy was on another level to any version of GG. So of course Canelo had more success against GG, than what Toney against Roy.

Bronze Tiger and Flash24 like this.
  12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    B-hop was far harder to hit with counters years after his turgid display against Jones, his defense became far better than that of Jones.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I don`t think he could have cut it against an all time great, he had great moves and amzing speed but far too many flaws.

14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    What do you mean turgid display?

Can you try and grasp for a second the difficulty in fighting a 24 year old version of Roy Jones?

None of your posts have any perspective.

It's like where you've said that the Ruiz fight was awful. Yes, it was awful. It was boring. But do you know why it was boring and uneventful? Because Roy was that damn good that's why. He was so good he made it look boring. Basically, Roy gets penalised from guys like yourself for being too good. I'm sure that if Roy had been cut and dropped etc, and the fight had been a back and forth exciting one, you'd have rated the fight much higher.

15. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    You're hilarious.

You're becoming a laughing stock.

Tell us again how GG had a better defense than Roy.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018