Name light heavy champs that could have beat McCallum more convincingly than RJ did in `97

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 15, 2018.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Jones never threw a harder punch than the shot McCallum knocked Curry out with, he also stopped Jackson in two and Jones would not have stopped Jackson at 160 that quickly, McCallum was a far more effective puncher at 154 than he was at 160, Jones`s power had much more effect than Mike`s at 160 even though Mike`s body punches drained Watson so well.

2. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Jackson had a more effective punch while at 154lbs, he blew Norris out in 2 rounds, Jones never stoped a fighter of that quality in a couple of rounds, Jackson had 49 KO`s in 55 wins and Jones compiled 47 KO`s in 66 wins he never hit as hard as Jackson did and never matched the KO Jackson scored v Graham, in the ring you werre in more danger of being knocked out by Jackson than you were v Jones. Jackson hurt McCallum more than Jones did in their respective fights v McCallum, Mike was visibly shook by Jones but was tired and crumbled to the floor against Jones in what was more of a flash knockdown, plus it came later in the fight when Mike`s 39 year old legs were tired.

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Jones had brilliant skills but huge flaws also, he used to be my favourite fighter in the 90`s before I really started understanding boxing better and looking at the sport deeper.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Maybe.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I feel Hill was overrated.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Toney didn`t know how to cut the ring off.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    McCallum`s best weight was 154.

9. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Jones is the kind of guy who beats Mike everytime. He has the speed and reflexes to make him pay along the way. I read onetime how Jones said he did a favor by giving Mike the fight, since Mike complained about money problems. Something like that, and then during the fight Mike tried to get rough and that is when Roy knocked him down and let him know who was going to win. This surprised me Roy saying this. Mike could not beat Roy. Prime or not.

10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't think Roy needed the fundamentals. Which hurt him when his speed started to erode a little, but in his prime he was quicker than Floyd and probably the best reflexes maybe of any fighter ever. I always said Hearns had a good chance to beat Roy because the style of using the jab and making Roy think about the jab would prevent Roy from countering. Hearns would have to fight a smart fight. Not many guys had the style or skills to beat Roy, unless you could match his speed, which no one could or had a weapon to offset his speed. Roy never did have the great elite fights, which hurts his legacy, but he fought enough for us to see that he could trouble anyone with his reflexes. I rate him over Floyd. Floyd to me handpicked all the right fighters.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Dell Valle did well v Jones because he set up his shots by getting his lead foot on the outside of Roy`s lead foot.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Del Valle was able to get his lead foot on the outside of Roy and Hill`s orthodox lead feet which is how he troubled both fighters with his offensive attacks.

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh please Mark. Plenty of people could generate that power. It was as much the timing of the blow as it's power. McCallum did not have top shelf power even at 154. Very good power at the absolute best. The Curry KO skews things. Curry had taken a pretty sustained beating less than 12 months prior and his chin wasn't proven to be stone despite his great welterweight run. It was a hard beautifully timed punch tho that Curry probably never saw.

You can't say Jones would not have stopped Jackson as quick or sooner. I doubt McCallum would have stopped him that fast in a rematch after Jackson had matured.

young griffo likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    1. I think you completely failed to grasp Wass' premise.
    2. It seems you are somehow unaware Norris had a glass jaw (tho the punch was huge like most he threw).
    3. Norris improved post Jackson.
    4. Trying to compare how each hurt Jackson 100 years later in order to work out who hit harder is an exercise in futility. But lets play the game - Jackson dropped Tate yet he went the distance where as Jones iced him, and this was actually not all that long afterward. Jones must hit harder.

15. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Yeah sure he was your "favourite" fighter.

You're belittling and marginalizing of Jones is Klompton/like as present and that's not a comparison any sane person would want to hang their hat on. You seem to want to dump on his legacy because he missed a punch here or got caught with a punch there, it really is quite bizarre. It's as if his dominance (which lets be honest has rarely been matched for the duration that RJJ managed it for) has to be explained away to allow you to rank him lower than his considerable accomplishments otherwise merit.

GGG and Canelo are both excellent fighters. And neither at their absolute best looked nearly as brilliant as Jones did during his brief period at 160. And McCallum never threw a punch in his life as hard as the shot Jones annihilated Griffin with, let alone the shot which destroyed the iron chinned Thomas Tate. Get serious man!

escudo, Jackstraw, Loudon and 2 others like this.