Nat Fleisher's Top 10 Heavyweights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by LXEX55, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Any comment to make on the time lapse of D'Amato's demise and Tysons pro career? Or are you going to conveniently ignore it?
    Below, your statement.

"D'Amato died before Tyson became professional boxer"

Below, my reply.
    "Tyson's pro debut was the 6th March 1985.
    D'Amato died on 4th November 1985.Tyson had fought 11 pro fights by then."
    Here is another of your statements,this time about the Patterson v Rademacher fight.

"It was a big interest in public of this fight, as the best amateur (in Super-Heavyweight) fought the best professional in the kings' division; the average joe spoked about it comparable as often as about Dempsey vs. Tunney, Johnson vs. Jeffries or Louis vs. Schmeling II; it was the biggest fight in Pattersons career until Johannsson II".

Below is my reply.

"The Rademacher fight was poorly attended ,less than17,000 turned up and there was virtually no betting on it.

• The day before the fight, the Associated Press reported that Patterson was a 10 to 1 betting favorite. The AP quoted a Seattle businessman as saying: "Nobody is betting—while sober."
    • The day of the fight, the United Press reported that there were no betting odds because the fight was considered to be a gross mismatch.
    • There was no live radio or television. Promoter Jack Hurley said plans to show the fight on closed circuit television were canceled due to the three-hour time difference between Seattle and the east coast.
    • A crowd of 16,961 " Taken from Box Rec.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    JohnThomas1 likes this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No I am highlighting the inaccurate statements you made and replying with the true facts.

Here is another false statement you made about the Patterson v Rademacher fight.

"it was the biggest fight in Pattersons career until Johannsson II"."
    WRONG!
    Patterson earned considerably more for the Harris fight.
    There was a bigger crowd , bigger gate, bigger revenue for all concerned and Tv closed circuit and movie rights too.

There was no tv, no closed circuit ,and no movie rights for the Rademacher fight and the attendance was smaller!
    Similarly the first Johannson fight was bigger than the Rademacher fight.
    As the following demonstrates.

• "The fight was shown on closed circuit TV in 170 locations in 135 cities. There were approximately 550,000 seats available. The New York area was blacked out.
    • The fight was broadcast live on ABC radio.
    • Patterson was guaranteed $300,000 and Johansson $100,000. They were also working on percentages. Patterson received 30 percent of the gate and Johansson 20 percent. Promoter Bill Rosensohn got 50 percent.

• A gate of $470,712.25 was produced by a crowd of 21,961 at Yankee Stadium. Ticket prices ranged from $5 to $100.

Below is the financial low down for the Harris defence.
    A crowd of 21,680 produced a gate of $234,183.25, a then-record for the state of California.
    • About 200,000 fans watched the fight on closed circuit television.
    • Patterson's share of the net gate was $101,384.41. In addition, he got about $300,000 from TelePrompTer, which handled the theater TV, and about $60,000 from the movies. Out of his share, Patterson paid Harris a $100,000 guarantee. Patterson netted close to $300,000
    It beats the Rademacher fight hands down!

So you are wrong on 4 statements. A simple" yes I am," will do.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Your false statement is once again easily corrected.

• The day before the fight, the Associated Press reported that Patterson was a 10 to 1 betting favorite. The AP quoted a Seattle businessman as saying: "Nobody is betting—while sober."
    • The day of the fight, the United Press reported that there were no betting odds because the fight was considered to be a gross mismatch.
    • There was no live radio or television. Promoter Jack Hurley said plans to show the fight on closed circuit television were canceled due to the three-hour time difference between Seattle and the east coast.
    • A crowd of 16,961

Want to comment on this or the financial figures I have provided for the 1st Johannson fight and the Harris fight ? Both of those drew more gross gate ,made more net , drew bigger purses and bigger crowds!
    How about your claim that D'Amato died before Tyson turned pro want to backtrack on that?

Nighttrain likes this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    So you refuse to admit you are wrong on these 4 points ,as I knew you would.

" Patterson was at his very best until 1960"? Those are you words.
    Patterson was the Champion in March 1961 when he accomplished the unprecedented feat of regaining the title from Johannson !
    He had turned 26 years old just 3 months earlier!
    Patterson was dethroned by Liston but
    Number 1 contender in 62 .
    No7 in63
    No2 in64
    No2 in65
    No4 in66
    No7 in67
    No 10 in68
    Unranked in1970
    No7 in71
    No5 in72
    Eleven years after regaining the title he was still a top ten ranked heavyweight!
    Of course Tyson improved after D'Amato's death,that isn't the point ,you stated D'Amato died before Tyson turned pro and he didn't, Tyson had already had 11 professional fights when Cus died!
    You are a complete cretin!
    Moreover you are one who can never admit to ever being wrong, which is absolutely astonishing when one realises how unfailingly and regularly you are!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    swagdelfadeel and Nighttrain like this.
  6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    :lol:

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Careful Mac, god only knows when Gus died :lol:

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He is a complete nonsense!

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011
    The Rankings with which you take issue are from The Ring and oh so easily verified.

Perhaps after 1960 was the period in which Patterson fought the Hall of Famers to whom he lost bouts? I don't expect you to consider this information, accepting, never mind evaluating information is obviously not in your wheelhouse. So your opinions don't carry much weight.

Retarted (sic)? Perhaps you should stick to discussing things you know about in Swahilli like vodka. . .

mcvey and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. Nighttrain

Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah, no one really cares which sources you recognize and rest assured your opinion does carry weight outside of your ward or cell block. I will leave you to your resources to discern if Jimmy Ellis is in the Hall of Fame.

You are more off than usual. What are you on or drinking?

mcvey likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I weighed myself yesterday I am 95.5kgs not so little.You're off your swede aren't you!
    You can't even spell Muhammad Ali correctly the most famous boxer/ sports man ever to have lived!

The rankings are those of The Ring magazine you muppet!