Nathan Cleverly

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Degale, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    How is it VERY different?

2. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Fair enough. Seems logical and we all know riches don’t necessarily make a happy, stable person...

305th likes this.
  3. Accurate

May 3, 2018
    Mickey Mouse degree? You think universities are just giving out degrees now?

Also, just the fact he got a 2:2 is no reflection of his intelligence. One of the brightest people on my course ended up with a 3rd, because he simply coasted through the whole course. He is a rich boy though, so I don't think he was really motivated in his studies. Whatever happens he knows he will inherit a couple million quid when his folks pass.

If I remember rightly, Clev was actually boxing while he was studying? I might be wrong, but if true that will have been difficult boxing and studying. Take away the boxing he more than likely would have got a better grade.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    stittyb and DJN16 like this.
  4. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Some of the degrees from the lesser uni’s aren’t up to the standard of those of more traditional universities...based on direct and indirect experience.

Likewise, from experience, it’s possible to get more than a third or Desmond without applying yourself if you’re bright enough.

But this is going way off topic.

305th likes this.
  5. Accurate

May 3, 2018
    Some of.... uh huh, right.

Well, based on my experience there isn't any difference at all, but then like you, I really only have a very small sample from which to base an opinion. All unis are held to the same standards by external examiners anyway.

You sound like the snobs my brother went to LSE with tbh.

6. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Mate, some near enough are. I've got a BSc and am halfway through an MSc. Some of the people on my course (employer-funded) wouldn't be able to do the AS levels I did back in the day.

Non-Russell group Unis are desperate for fees, most will take anyone with £££.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  7. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    Nonsense.

zulander and ryanm8655 like this.
  8. Accurate

May 3, 2018
    Taking anyone is one thing, but giving them a degree is another.

9. Accurate

May 3, 2018
    That is their job.

"the role of the external examiner varies with the level of examination, the purpose of the system remains the same: to ensure that standards are kept the same across universities, and to provide an assurance of fair play given that internal examiners might be prejudiced for or against a candidate."

10. Accurate

May 3, 2018
    I have a degree too, and recently had my research proposal accepted for my masters.

305th likes this.
  11. 305th

Apr 28, 2018
    Good effort mate. I personally find the MSc way easier than my degree academia wise. The essays are longer though. Marking is much more forgiving as well.

Accurate likes this.
  12. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    A degree is a degree - whether it’s from Oxford or Leicester. Yes - sounds better if it’s from Oxford, but like someone else said, that’s a cultural thing - based on class. A real achievement earning any degree & great for broadening the mind - although unless you are undertaking one with a career plan in mind can end up an expensive career break.
    Anyway - didn’t mind Cleverly & did well with the talent he had. Hope he’s in a good place.

DJN16 and Accurate like this.
  13. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    He’s obviously never been to Lixwm

14. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    Tbh I was hoping he’d fight Froch, although I think Froch would grind out the win I think Clev poses Froch a lot of problems.

Clev was a solid lower tier top 10 world level fighter.

15. Odins beard

Apr 13, 2014
    @dinovelvet

You had some great words to say about him, you expected great things did you not buddy?