Need advice - Atrial fibrillation from sparring - should I fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by jamesdavis, Mar 5, 2020.

Should I continue training and fight?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jamesdavis

jamesdavis New Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Hi guys,

I'm currently training for a white collar boxing match at University. It's a total of 8 weeks training and we're now 3 weeks out from fight night.

In body sparring a few days ago I took some blows to the chest which sent my heart beat sky rocketing and irregular. I went to the hospital and after a few hours it returned to normal.

Apparently the doctor's had never seen or heard of the heart beating in the way mine was. It was some form of Atrial fibrillation but not like they'd seen or has been published before, so they're writing a case study on it.

I've experienced heart palpitations uncommonly throughout life, usually without any trigger or trauma.

I had an x-ray and quick scan (with the jelly and a hand scanner similar to those they use when looking at foetus'/babies) and some blood tests and all came back OK.

They've booked me in for some more tests but they probably won't be before the fight. I've read a few stories online of people dying from blunt chest traumas ( https://www.bupipedream.com/archive/1065/autopsy-boxing-hit-caused-rare-death/ ) and I'm anxious that maybe I shouldn't fight. It seems to be a risk for anyone, but perhaps because of my history of heart palpitations/atrial fibrillation I may be at more risk?

I really want to fight but also, being 22, I'd really rather not risk dying lol. I'm not too concerned about the fight itself, but more about sparring at training with bigger guys and less space to defend myself (not a whole ring to move around in).

I'm also anxious to ask my trainer, as I know if he finds out I'm to undergo further heart tests, they probably won't let me fight.

Apologies for length of post, just wanted to get the details down.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated

Cheers.

2. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Sounds like you know already
    But you got a feeling you prolly shouldn’t so don’t.

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’d say no, but ask your doctor.