New born boxer

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Realbad, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Realbad

Realbad New Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm new to the boxing world ,but not fights. I found myself enjoying fighting and watching bouts and I would love to transform my brawler instincts into a productive hobby. So I'm going to go get some gloves and head to the King center to learn, but I need some help I want to be the best I can be so I need some real pointers if y'all would mind.

2. sugarsean

sugarsean Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    what exactly would you like to know, there's so much to boxing, what main points do you want advice about.

3. Realbad

Realbad New Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I am in the process of learning to perfect the jab, but my balance and footwork need much improvement. For example when I throw big combinations I begin to lean to the outsides of my shoes and not on the balls of my feet is there any thing you could precribe for this situation

4. PugilistStudent

PugilistStudent Active Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Keep shadowboxing and just work on simpler combinations for now (up to 3 punches). If your really serious you could shadowbox 5 rounds every morning before you do anything and when you go to the boxing gym shadowbox for another 5-10 rounds after you warm up and try to get some pads and/or drills or better yet sparring in while your at the gym. Keep asking for advice while your at the gym too. Theres no magic just practice.

5. sugarsean

sugarsean Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    this,

also listen to music while doing shadow boxing, it will give you rhythm (something with a beat soul music, motown or hip hop) also when you throw punche's do short motion's nothing wide, nice and short and bend your knee's, twist into the punch, thats where the power comes from, also when punching a target imagine your punch is going threw the back of the oppenents head, you punch threw not at the target, great fighters to watch for punching technic are (Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Evander Holyfield, Ike Williams, Pernell Whitaker, Mike McCallum) but you should let me know what your strengths are because you be may short and would then need to study fighters like (Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Mike Tyson or Floyd Patterson)

also you said your trying to perfect the jab well watch fighters like (Sonny Liston, Larry Holmes, both Sugar Ray's, Joe Louis)

anyway let me know if you need anymore advice and I will gladly help,

good luck with you training remember it can take a while to get the hang of things just keep practicing and you won't believe the difference in the coming months.