new boxer advice?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by TJayIV, Feb 18, 2017.

1. TJayIV

TJayIV New Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Hi, I'm a new member and I was hoping to get good advice here since I'm fairly new to amateur boxing (I've had a lot of street fights before though, but I know its going to be different in the ring.)
    I had a couple questions if I may.
    I currently weigh 114 and my trainer wants me to go to 108 lbs is it safe for me to lose that much weight?
    And is peekaboo style usable in amateur fights or just professional?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
  3. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Try to resume a little more and be specific about your questions next time. I'll give you my opinion about what I think your questions are:

- If your trainer told you to lose weight, that means you CAN do it without decrease your health. You'll build fast explosive and durable muscles. If you want to be a pro you must deal with that.

- I do use peek-a-boo style in amateur fights and it's pretty useful as long as you have a good defense, good cardio and set the proper distance/angle for combinations. You will land clear shots and get the opponent tired. The thing is that you need to control the distance you want to fight.

TJayIV and Mr.DagoWop like this.
  4. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    If you start now, you may not be happy with your experiences in the ring.

I would heed his advice and start when he feels that you are ready.

5. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Your coach nailed it on the head. "Take it easy".
    Don't get ahead of yourself and overthink things. You haven't even sparred yet and you're already talking about going pro?!?!?.
    A lot of people try it and realize it ain't for them. Start with that, and we'll talk.

BoxinScienceUSA likes this.
  6. TJayIV

Feb 14, 2017
    Thank you for the above replies, I guess you all are right and I should listen to my trainer then, I was talking to him and I didn't know he use to be a national middle weight champion wow. I'm going to try and cut the weight needed and I'm going to just calm down and let him tell me when I am ready. Will let you guys know how it goes thank you

7. TJayIV

Feb 14, 2017
    I am going to take it easy you are right.
    As for the second part, challenge accepted ;)

Speechless likes this.
  8. TJayIV

Feb 14, 2017
    Had my first sparring match yesterday and I loved it. Can't wait to do it again, my coach couldn't find another fighter that was my weight class so they put me with one of the guys from the gym who beat me by 40 lbs, and still the coach said we were pretty evenly matched and to keep working my head movement. I am going to take boxing more seriously now because yes, I do want to go pro one day

9. supremeshamrock

supremeshamrock Height 5'6 I Weight 118 - 120 lbs I Full Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Stop thinking your going to be a champion before your first amateur bout...... in fact I haven't had any bouts yet and been training for awhile. Boxing is all about time and effort, and lets be realistic how many boxers are more hungry than you to go pro? A lot.

10. supremeshamrock

Mar 11, 2017
    Oh and you said he was 40 lbs bigger than you? This will be a problem because in a real bout you will be matched with your weight class no exceptions so don't get used to fighting him.

11. TJayIV

Feb 14, 2017
    I Will be a great boxer ill tell you that much, and honestly i believe I am one of the hungriest ones right now. Don't worry when I have my first match I'll record it and post the link on this thread. I've been training hard so far, Really hard and loosing to me is not an option. Getting tired is not an option. And getting discouraged by anyone is Not an option. As for the second part yes I know I will be fighting people my weight which will give me an advantage, the guy im sparring with beats me by 40 lbs easily, and is about 10 inches taller than me and has a longer reach, I am a really short fighter for my weight division so sparring with a taller opponent who has already had a couple matches and got to the semi finals in state tournament, for the coach to say we are evenly matched? I think that's something. And I cant wait to step in the ring.

12. supremeshamrock

Mar 11, 2017
    Like I said, get used to someone your weight division because they are a lot quicker than the bigger guys...

13. TJayIV

Feb 14, 2017
    We really don't have anyone my weight in the gym I'm at, there's a couple but they don't go everyday or even twice a week so the coach said there would be no point in me training with an un-experienced guy, he wants me to practice with someone who has experience or at least puts in as much work as me, the guy im sparring with right now doesn't go everyday he just goes once a week but he has had matches already and has been training for about 3 years already so his experience is bigger than mine, his stamina might not be the best, but what I need is to get used to people who know what they are doing

14. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Good luck and I like the attitude. Fighting is about mental belief . You need to have confidence

I'm sure you will get some humbling experiences on the way but all good fighters start off dreaming big.

Persistence is king