New Heavy Bag

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Alex1990, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Alex1990

Alex1990 New Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2017
    What are peoples recommendations on heavy bags. I am new to the sport have no idea of the benefits of different materials etc. just looking for a decent bag to work with

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    SnatchBox likes this.
  2. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
  3. baconmaker

baconmaker Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    All wilders opponets.

RG1885, Caimán, Todd498 and 4 others like this.
  4. Alex1990

Alex1990 New Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2017
    how do water bags feel? I presume they are softer to help prevent impact injury but do they feel good to train with

SnatchBox likes this.
  5. SnatchBox

SnatchBox Boxing Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    if you got the money get one of the agua bags they're great

To be honest though you should just invest the money in going to a gym first. Coaches will always see the bad habits you make and correct them.

Northadox, joe brown, PIRA and 2 others like this.
  6. SnatchBox

SnatchBox Boxing Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
  7. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Go with 150 Muay Thai bags that are 6 feet tall because it covers all targets of a human body and they feel/mimick hitting a person as its solid but also lets your punch go into the bag for more impact power.you also want a bag thats not easily moved so you can focus on skill and accuracy.So hang it short and if you can 4 chains on each side of the bag on a thick beam or object. you dont want a water bag bc it takes away from actually getting used to hitting a solid object.

your hands will get stronger with real bags....and water bags can break easier.

8. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Bull****. Water bags are great. You can really dig in like hitting a real human body. I have had them over 20 years.

SnatchBox likes this.
  9. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Then youve never hit the bags im talking about as it has nothing to do what bag is better and ive been hitting them ALL for over 25 years.I know what bags are better for training and achieving strength, water bags arent one,unless you dont hit really hard. you wont develope the SAMe power on water bag......

MT bags are also more durable as they are made to withstand kicks that generate 3x the power of a punch .

When you hit a HB over time it gets harder around the mid to bottom ...this also helps with a harder surface in getting stronger....you CANNOT get that with water bags.....

10. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    You both got points. Water bags are great, 6 foot water bags not so great IMO as they are susceptible to weakening and breaking in the middle especially in any decent Muay Thai gym in my limited experience. A decent medium sized water bag, a 6 foot Thai bag, a good f/c ball and speed ball braced well and you have got everything a home gym should be.

This will be moved to the training forum I expect.

11. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    MT bags are utter sh*t. If you have any sort of power then your fist bends the bag in two. You don't get any sort of resistance to build strength or power. There is also no science that supports a MT bag being greater for building punching power.

12. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Kid get a clue ...ive already SEEN you on the bag..ahhahaha please post that one, you know thwe one you took off after being critisized...

some of my OWN guys i was working with at the gym who are pro HW's there wont touch them and train with standard ones bc they say they hurt their hands with the 150 pound MT bags. These certtain bags i have at THE gym ( i know you dont actually train to what you say you do) are CUSTOM desighned for heavy punching/kicking and such.....

As ive already stated their made for harder impact bc they are also used for kicks.you out of ALL posters are going to tell me what works and what doesnt for power?????? Knuckle head! lol

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  13. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    Coming from a guy that looks like one of those drinking birds when he's on the heavy bag? Lmfao!

You have absolutely minimal punching power and horrible technique. A complete arm puncher. I've seen middle schoolers who hit harder than you!

I trained with those crap MT bags for a year because my coach made me. They didn't do anything for me. I used to stay after and work the REAL heavy bags after he left and that was the ONLY reason my power increased.

They're soft because the guys who use them are pvssies! I train bareknuckle all day long on a REAL heavy bag that actually provides resistance and isn't made to make me feel good. Toughening up the hands until they are like bricks will make your punches more painful and allow you to maximize your power without breaking your hands. Something you clearly have no experience with.

14. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007

Maybe the bags your gym had were a bad brand or old and sacked out.

There are definitely poor bags out there or you can strike a lemon which is filled or stitched wrong - seen that with one bag in a new gym fit out failing in two months with a hanging strap tearing, other five identical bags no problem.

15. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    They weren't bad, the were just MT bags. This exact one:
    This content is protected

Felt like I was hitting air. The bottom used to hit my leg from just a jab. There was absolutely NO resistance.